Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2000's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th January 2010, 06:22 PM
Cult Rookie

Default Anyone seen Giallo (2009)?

Anyone managed to see Argento's Giallo yet? I have seen a few mediocre reviews for it but I still want to see it.

Sent from my HTC Hero using Tapatalk
Old 18th January 2010, 12:49 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I saw this via the official DVD release that's out in Poland (bought one off eBay). It's not a great film. There are scenes that inspire unintentional laughter but it's nowhere near as bad as it's reputation would lead you to believe or the pile of shit, MOTHER OF TEARS, that Argento directed just prior to its making. I would give it 5/10.
Old 18th January 2010, 02:02 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Yeah, I thought it was...well...OK. As a crime thriller it is perfectly efficient with a slight but capable story. The downside is Adrien Brody who is utterly useless - hammier than a barrel of pigs. You often find yourself cringing at the way Brody decided to approach the film.

Other than that it's fine, really. Not "An Argento Film" I suppose, but then why should it be? It's just a low key film he directed from someone else's script with a duff lead actor (I am usually a fan of Brody but he is inexcusably bad in Giallo!)

Mind you, I really liked Mother Of Tears and The Card Player, so...
Old 18th January 2010, 03:22 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I prefered Mother of Tears over Giallo too. Giallo was uninspired in every area, it could be a BBC Drama as far as its execution is concerned.

It's Argento's most mediocre film to date; even Phantom of the Opera is more memorable.
Old 18th January 2010, 06:44 PM
Cult Rookie

Default Re:Anyone seen Giallo

Thanks for the comments, I will catch up with it a some point. I enjoyed The Card Player and seperating it from the first two films of the trio I also liked Mother of Tears. I must be easily pleased.

Sent from my HTC Hero using Tapatalk
Old 18th January 2010, 10:00 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philleh View Post
I prefered Mother of Tears over Giallo too. Giallo was uninspired in every area, it could be a BBC Drama as far as its execution is concerned.

It's Argento's most mediocre film to date; even Phantom of the Opera is more memorable.
I agree with you about GIALLO being mediocre but I really hated MOTHER OF TEARS, so it was definitely a massive step up for me, mate. I do think CARD PLAYER is better than both though...
Old 18th January 2010, 11:44 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I thought the Card Player was not bad.
I'll definetly buy Giallo though.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 18th January 2010, 11:57 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload View Post
I agree with you about GIALLO being mediocre but I really hated MOTHER OF TEARS, so it was definitely a massive step up for me, mate. I do think CARD PLAYER is better than both though...
Definately matey, Card Player has been his best film of the past decade; next to Sleepless of course - For my monies anyway.
Old 19th January 2010, 01:35 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I'm another who hated Mother of Tears too. No offence to dario, but it really didn't work at all. The riots across Rome amounted to a few shots of a couple of people running around, but little else. I think what I'm trying to say is that MoT lacked the necessary scope, it should've been epic, but wasn't. It was almost just a hint of what should've been.

However, saying all that, I'll give Giallo an unprejudiced viewing and decide for myself. Any news of a UK or US release date for DVD?
Old 19th January 2010, 08:03 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Apparently GIALLO hasn't been picked up by an American or UK distributor yet...

It is out on DVD in Poland (with forced Polish subs) and Brazil on both DVD and Blu-ray (the latter of which is Region A locked).

Like this? Share it using the links below!