Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2000's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th September 2010, 11:36 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I agree that the zombies were returning to where they felt most at home - consuming. So they most certainly represent that facet of avarice. But, if that's why they're like that, then why are the survivors surviving? Surely that means that they represent being outside of the consumer machine? And I'm not so sure about your take on Stephen, after all, isn't he just about the only one who still clings to hope? His obsession wth keeping the TV on in the hope that something might be broadcast to explain their predicament whilst the others have abandoned hope surely indicates his optimism if nothing else. He's about the only one with an optimistic view, actually. The rest act as if they're defeated already.
Old 9th September 2010, 04:56 PM
Seasoned Cultist

One scene in particular that always bugs me in DAWN, is the scene near the start, When the dim cop asks the main characters if they have a spare cigarette.
They all shake their head, helicopter takes off, then they all pull out cigs and light up.
I thought this was very mean spirited of them, tighter than a chickens ass, these people..
Cold and ruthless dudes, and the movie is only just starting. What else are these characters capable of in this film?
They had loads of cigerettes on them, and when they reach the mall, they would have many more...
Enough cigerettes to "POWER-SMOKE" their way to a new career as a zombie...
Uncharitable, tight, mean-sprited, greedy, cold, ruthless people. Who got theirs...
The female lead in the film, was the only worthy survivor, cos she was the only character to think anything through properly, by the end of the film. Another slightly annoying scene is when Fran is warming up the chopper, and the Ken Foree character is sitting in the store room, with a gun to his head. "What the Hell are you doing?! Get on the chopper, fool!!!" . "What? you wanna die in there, like those other saps? MOVE!!!"
Old 10th September 2010, 11:37 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahoney32 View Post
One scene in particular that always bugs me in DAWN, is the scene near the start, When the dim cop asks the main characters if they have a spare cigarette.
They all shake their head, helicopter takes off, then they all pull out cigs and light up.
I thought this was very mean spirited of them, tighter than a chickens ass, these people..
Cold and ruthless dudes, and the movie is only just starting. What else are these characters capable of in this film?
They had loads of cigerettes on them, and when they reach the mall, they would have many more...
Enough cigerettes to "POWER-SMOKE" their way to a new career as a zombie...
Uncharitable, tight, mean-sprited, greedy, cold, ruthless people. Who got theirs...
The female lead in the film, was the only worthy survivor, cos she was the only character to think anything through properly, by the end of the film. Another slightly annoying scene is when Fran is warming up the chopper, and the Ken Foree character is sitting in the store room, with a gun to his head. "What the Hell are you doing?! Get on the chopper, fool!!!" . "What? you wanna die in there, like those other saps? MOVE!!!"
I'm going to assume that you're being tongue in cheek. Following a zombie apocalypse, not giving someone one of your potential last cigarettes is not a huge crime
Old 10th September 2010, 06:25 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfarer View Post
I'm going to assume that you're being tongue in cheek. Following a zombie apocalypse, not giving someone one of your potential last cigarettes is not a huge crime
It's firmly in cheek Wayfarer, no worries there.
Old 11th September 2010, 11:32 AM
Seasoned Cultist

There's a moment in SOTD, that features an oriental fella fishing for zombies. I found that amusing. But I've got no idea why I found that amusing......It may have been that Irish fella's reaction to it. "What the Devil was that!".
Old 17th September 2010, 12:56 PM
Cult Rookie

I continue giving Romero the benefit of the doubt with each new bad entry he unleashes because I keep mistakenly assuming he's genuinely going to innovate once again or offer up a serious, frightening entry.

SOTD was just plain silly, and not at all in a good way. I wasn't in the slightest bit entertained. I wanted to like it, I tried but the grenade sequence ended my enthusiasm like a .22 to the back of the ear. Its almost as if GAR is spoofing himself, his concepts and the subgenre, which in turn is a slap in the face of those that are honestly convinced he's going to resuscitate instead of regurgitate.

Like this? Share it using the links below!