Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2000's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th March 2010, 01:37 PM
Twilight Zone Co-ordinator

Watched this last night.

Apart from a few moments, I didn't like Diary, but I still came to this with an open mind and was genuinley looking forward to it and rooting for Romero to do something good.

Unfortunately, and it breaks my heart to say this, I thought it was absolutely dreadful. I really do sympathise with Romero's lack of budget, but whereas in the old days low budget may give the film a gritty feel, now we get this soulless digital clarity. This looks like one of the films you see on Zone Horror every night.

The CG is dreadful. If you can't do it well, please don't do it George.

There is only one character of note....barely, the rest are two dimensional and forgettable.

The story is all over the place. I can see the conflict between those who want to find a cure, and those who want to kill them all could be the basis for a good story, but it's not really explored very well.

I will give this another watch, perhaps back to back with Diary to see whether it settles in at all, but as of this moment, I thought it was terrible.
Old 16th March 2010, 02:04 PM
Ex-member

Pretty much what I was fearing. Don't think I'll even bother.
Fed the **** up with Romero and his 3rd rate zombies.
Should have given up after the lovely, lovely "Day".

Meh....Life too short it be.
Old 16th March 2010, 03:04 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I watched it last night too, I though it was better than Diary of the Dead. Some of the dialogue was god awful and clunky, but I have to admit that I wasn't bored either.

My girlfriend was actually surprised at how good it looked, she was expecting something terribly cheap and had a blast with it. We didn't watch it on the big screen though, we watched it in the bedroom on the small screen which may have hidden a fair bit; but i did like the scope photography - really wish he'd done more of it in his career.

It's not a re-markable film, but it's amazing that after 50 years he's still able to produce fresh zombie material where other are continously failing! I liked the idea of the clans against one another, and the overall experience was possitive for me. Not his best, by a long stretch, but it was an entertaining 90mins. £10 well spent in my opinion.
Old 16th March 2010, 04:58 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I'm gonna try and get it this week.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 16th March 2010, 05:58 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I've been sent it by LoveFilm so I might watch it tonight. I'm hopefull but the reviews so far are not good.
Old 16th March 2010, 06:02 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Many reviews blasted Diary... but I didn't think that was a terrible as people made out either. So I may very well be in the minority again!
Old 17th March 2010, 07:52 AM
Cultist

Location: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Skullsdirect/120011381348699
Default Survival

If you go in with moderate expectations it is above average and has many entertaining moments. Sure, the CGI is a bit weak in places and he was obviously working with a budget lower than most TV movies but it IS fun and I liked the final scene. The implication that the zombies are learning was different and to be fair to Romero can anyone really expect him to keep remaking the original trilogy without trying new stuff? Its a 6/10 and IS better than Diary. Terrible DVD release though. A commentary would have been nice or a making of. No point in buying the Blu Ray either as its exactly the same and the picture is not really any better than standard.
Old 17th March 2010, 09:34 AM
Twilight Zone Co-ordinator

Default Re: Survival of the Dead (2009)

For me my expectations were extremely low going in anyway, and I was really rooting for George because I have genuine affection for Romero and would love to have been surprised by this. So with that in mind, it wasn't expectation that killed it for me, it was just the film I was presented with.

I will give him props for coming up with a different set up from the usual "people barricade themselves in against zombies" scenario - true, he didn't re-hash an old setup and that's to his credit, but I still think it was a dreadful film.
Old 17th March 2010, 10:20 AM
Cultist in Training

Saw it last night I liked it alot. It is a shame about the special features especially after he great R2 release of Diary but I think after all the bad reviews Optimum just wanted to release it and get it off there schedule
Old 17th March 2010, 10:25 AM
Cultist

Watched this last night, didn't go into it thinking it was going to be another Night or Dawn cause that isn't going to happen, however i thought it was an entertaining 90 mins and its good to see the shuffling slow moving undead again, i liked the concept of the story and yes it did suffer from budget restrictions and poorly constructured cgi effects which i'm not a fan of at all in any film, these aside i will say that even though its not classic Romero i tip my hat to him for maintaining and somewhat re-inventing his take on the zombie genre and hope he continues to make more and hire Tom Savini to take on the effects... now that would be a return to form

Like this? Share it using the links below!