Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 2000's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=555)
-   -   Survival of the Dead (2009) (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/2000s/2322-survival-dead-2009-a.html)

Philleh 3rd February 2010 07:51 AM

Survival of the Dead (2009)

Is out on DVD/Blu March 15th - It's arrived quicket than I thought it would, thanks Optimum! :thumb:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...KL._SS500_.jpg

A group of rogue soldiers seek shelter from the zombie apocalypse on scenic Plum Island, only to become caught up in a bitter feud between two warring families. Crocket (Alan Van Sprang) and his motley crew of military abandoners are searching for a safe place to rest when they cross paths with Patrick O'Flynn (Kenneth Welsh). O'Flynn has been banished from Plum Island, where his family is locked in a long-time quarrel with the Muldoons. The O'Flynns see the flesh-eaters as subhuman, never hesitating to put a bullet between their eyes; the Muldoons balk at the prospect of killing their gut-munching loved ones, instead opting to care for their rotting kinfolk until scientists find a cure for the undead scourge. As the division between the two families grows deeper and wider, Crocket and his men realize that on Plum Island, the zombies are the least of their worries.

Pigasus 3rd February 2010 09:15 AM

Looking forward to seeing this!
That plot synopsis makes it sound a bit like a western...

vipco 3rd February 2010 09:26 AM

Not sure on this one, the storyline sounds pretty poor imo , but then I did'nt like Dairy at first on dvd , but my missus got me it on BluRay and I ended up enjoying it after a 2nd veiwing , so i'll not rule SOTD out without at least 2 veiwings.
Land of the Dead's still my favourite though.

I saw a trailer for a zombie film set in Africa called The Dead thats due out just after Survival and im looking forward to this more than Romero's film , very old skool, much like a cross of ZFE & ZCF.

antmumford 3rd February 2010 10:23 AM

I'm not so sure about this yet. the trailer makes it look as crap as Diary of the Dead but I could be wrong. I pre-ordered this the same time as Day of the Dead Blu-Ray.

Will definitely be checking out The Dead then, sounds good :)

Rob Strange 3rd February 2010 12:27 PM

I like both Land and Diary. Not a patch on the 'proper trilogy' admittedly (what is?), but still thoroughly enjoyable. I'll check this out.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 3rd February 2010 08:18 PM

Let's hope it's better than Diary,the weakest installment yet IMO.:nod:

pedromonkey 3rd February 2010 11:00 PM

the trailer for SurvivalOTD was a workprint trailer and did not represent what the film would be like, i have and never will give upon romero, the guy is 70 years old and still making zombie films, a genre he created. Survival looks pretty cool if you ask me, according to Romero, is about Tribalism, hence the waring familys.

antmumford 4th February 2010 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 61275)
I'm not so sure about this yet. the trailer makes it look as crap as Diary of the Dead but I could be wrong. I pre-ordered this the same time as Day of the Dead Blu-Ray.

Will definitely be checking out The Dead then, sounds good :)

I take it back, I take it all back. Just saw the main trailer and it looks awesome. Some of the death scenes look fantastic and I can't wait to see the whole thing now.
I've read some reviews from America and they haven't been bad either. I think George may well have redeemed himself here.
I love the face popping scene from when the soldier starts spraying something in the zombies mouth. Awesome stuff!! :ack:

Calum 4th February 2010 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 61392)
Let's hope it's better than Diary,the weakest installment yet IMO.:nod:

I thought it was much, much worse. Be interested to hear your feedback.

DeadAlive 4th February 2010 06:29 PM

I'll reserve judgement until I've seen the whole film. I'm keeping expectations low. ;)

JAMIOUSE 4th February 2010 07:47 PM

Any Zombie film Romero makes is worth watching, the newer ones might not match the surprise or verve of Dawn and Day but he's still going. He still has stories tell, social commentary to share and opinions to air. I doubt if he'll ever top Dawn Of The Dead but I'll certainly be getting Survival.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 4th February 2010 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calum (Post 61533)
I thought it was much, much worse. Be interested to hear your feedback.

It'll be interesting to see Calum.:nod:

benbot 4th February 2010 11:09 PM

I liked the film... bit too much comedy though. He has a looney Toons thing going on at times which wasn't needed. It has a great end shot though.

I still think Land is the best of his new dead trilogy.

darthelvis 7th February 2010 08:04 AM

Preordered the Blu Ray of this and cannot wait to see it. Heard a lot of bad reviews on the film but doesn't bother me, it's Romero!!!!

Agree with comments on The Dead, this film looks like it could be awesome!

truckturner 16th February 2010 10:22 PM

I'm really looking forward to this. I hope this will be better than the last entry in the dead series ;)

Stephen@Cult Labs 17th February 2010 12:54 PM

It's just a shame that the UK dvd and blu-ray will have no special features. :(

metaldud 2nd March 2010 06:55 AM

this is going to be nothing compared to his earlier work but you know there will be some amazing zombie effects and nice bit of gore, plus it looks kinda funny aswell.

pedromonkey 6th March 2010 04:24 PM

im so pissed right now, ****ing blockbuster won't be stocking this so i can't ****ing rent it, im gonna have to buy it out right.
i could have rented it for free.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 6th March 2010 05:39 PM

I know you work for Buckbuster mate,but they're not exactly horror-mad are they?;)

nekromantik 6th March 2010 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 65835)
I know you work for Buckbuster mate,but they're not exactly horror-mad are they?;)

:lol:
so true

I have no intention on watching this. Il pass :chainsaw:

pedromonkey 6th March 2010 10:33 PM

you'd be surprised we do get quite a lot of horror in, we've had alot of the momentum stuff like Zombie Virus on Mulbrey Street, Zombie Diaries, Sexy Killer, shed loads of Saw movies. but the ones the I want to see we don't stock.

if we don't stock it, its because sky box-office has it. You see when The Cottage came out, BB decided not to stock it as Sky box office were charging less than us and they did it in protest. then alot of other titles started to not show up but it's gone back to the way it used to be. Ive still got a week to go so hopefully they will have decided to include it. We had Land and Diary so i can't see why. What they have done though is stop all of our World cinema stock. we get maybe 2 out 10 titles a month. the last being Thirst and The Interceptor and as we are located in a heavy student area, World Cinema are our best renters.

pedromonkey 9th March 2010 04:08 PM

wooo whoooo, blockbuster have decided to stock it, just watched it gonna pop a review in the p monkeys review thread in mo

darthelvis 11th March 2010 06:43 PM

Got despatch notification from Play, so excited to finally see this!

broonage 12th March 2010 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 66336)
wooo whoooo, blockbuster have decided to stock it, just watched it gonna pop a review in the p monkeys review thread in mo

Blockbuster are still around?

pedromonkey 12th March 2010 03:16 PM

yep still around, don't how long for though.

Almar@Cult Labs 13th March 2010 03:12 PM

Judging from my Muswell Hill branch they're doing a roaring trade - lots of renters and they've really expanded the DVDs and BDs they stock to buy - I've actually enjoyed browsing and buying BDs in there for good prices too.

darthelvis 13th March 2010 03:14 PM

Blu Ray arrived this morning but will have to wait to Monday to watch.

SeanFracture 14th March 2010 11:07 PM

Gotta say, I thought Diary was dreadful. I love the original Dead trilogy, and I have a huge amount of respect for George but Diary seemed like some half-formed ideas strung together by a weak script, dreadful acting and confusing camera work. There was only two cameras, but several times there were three POVs. It just annoyed me. So, long story short, not particularly bothered by Survival.

Ken 15th March 2010 04:13 PM

Just purchased this afternoon on Blu Ray today from HMV priced @ £15.99

Philleh 15th March 2010 04:37 PM

Damnit! I didn't see the Blu in my HMV! Grabbed the DVD for £9.99!

TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs 16th March 2010 01:37 PM

Watched this last night.

Apart from a few moments, I didn't like Diary, but I still came to this with an open mind and was genuinley looking forward to it and rooting for Romero to do something good.

Unfortunately, and it breaks my heart to say this, I thought it was absolutely dreadful. I really do sympathise with Romero's lack of budget, but whereas in the old days low budget may give the film a gritty feel, now we get this soulless digital clarity. This looks like one of the films you see on Zone Horror every night.

The CG is dreadful. If you can't do it well, please don't do it George.

There is only one character of note....barely, the rest are two dimensional and forgettable.

The story is all over the place. I can see the conflict between those who want to find a cure, and those who want to kill them all could be the basis for a good story, but it's not really explored very well.

I will give this another watch, perhaps back to back with Diary to see whether it settles in at all, but as of this moment, I thought it was terrible.

42ndStreetFreak 16th March 2010 02:04 PM

Pretty much what I was fearing. Don't think I'll even bother.
Fed the **** up with Romero and his 3rd rate zombies.
Should have given up after the lovely, lovely "Day".

Meh....Life too short it be.

Philleh 16th March 2010 03:04 PM

I watched it last night too, I though it was better than Diary of the Dead. Some of the dialogue was god awful and clunky, but I have to admit that I wasn't bored either.

My girlfriend was actually surprised at how good it looked, she was expecting something terribly cheap and had a blast with it. We didn't watch it on the big screen though, we watched it in the bedroom on the small screen which may have hidden a fair bit; but i did like the scope photography - really wish he'd done more of it in his career.

It's not a re-markable film, but it's amazing that after 50 years he's still able to produce fresh zombie material where other are continously failing! I liked the idea of the clans against one another, and the overall experience was possitive for me. Not his best, by a long stretch, but it was an entertaining 90mins. £10 well spent in my opinion.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 16th March 2010 04:58 PM

I'm gonna try and get it this week.

JAMIOUSE 16th March 2010 05:58 PM

I've been sent it by LoveFilm so I might watch it tonight. I'm hopefull but the reviews so far are not good.

Philleh 16th March 2010 06:02 PM

Many reviews blasted Diary... but I didn't think that was a terrible as people made out either. So I may very well be in the minority again! :D

napalm-in-the-morning 17th March 2010 07:52 AM

Survival

If you go in with moderate expectations it is above average and has many entertaining moments. Sure, the CGI is a bit weak in places and he was obviously working with a budget lower than most TV movies but it IS fun and I liked the final scene. The implication that the zombies are learning was different and to be fair to Romero can anyone really expect him to keep remaking the original trilogy without trying new stuff? Its a 6/10 and IS better than Diary. Terrible DVD release though. A commentary would have been nice or a making of. No point in buying the Blu Ray either as its exactly the same and the picture is not really any better than standard.

TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs 17th March 2010 09:34 AM

Re: Survival of the Dead (2009)

For me my expectations were extremely low going in anyway, and I was really rooting for George because I have genuine affection for Romero and would love to have been surprised by this. So with that in mind, it wasn't expectation that killed it for me, it was just the film I was presented with.

I will give him props for coming up with a different set up from the usual "people barricade themselves in against zombies" scenario - true, he didn't re-hash an old setup and that's to his credit, but I still think it was a dreadful film.

gorehound-09 17th March 2010 10:20 AM

Saw it last night I liked it alot. It is a shame about the special features especially after he great R2 release of Diary but I think after all the bad reviews Optimum just wanted to release it and get it off there schedule

Tombsy666 17th March 2010 10:25 AM

Watched this last night, didn't go into it thinking it was going to be another Night or Dawn cause that isn't going to happen, however i thought it was an entertaining 90 mins and its good to see the shuffling slow moving undead again, i liked the concept of the story and yes it did suffer from budget restrictions and poorly constructured cgi effects which i'm not a fan of at all in any film, these aside i will say that even though its not classic Romero i tip my hat to him for maintaining and somewhat re-inventing his take on the zombie genre and hope he continues to make more and hire Tom Savini to take on the effects... now that would be a return to form