Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2000's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th April 2008, 07:14 PM
Cult Rookie

Default Funny Games (2007 Michael Haneke)

Unfortunately I sold out and went with watching the bigger budget remake of this cult Haneke remake.I have been meaning to watch the 1997 version for a while now after watching Haneke's Benny's Video and liking it but unfortunately this remake fell into my lap easier.
I have to say I really enjoyed this remake. Maybe it was a bit slow at times but never the less still entertaining. Watts is brilliant in this and definatly deserves some kind of credibility for her role.
I was wondering if anyone has seen bot versions of this and would mind telling me which one they preferred. I heard this remake is supposed to be a carbon copy of the original as Haneke would have it no other way.
Old 30th April 2008, 07:38 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The original makes for absorbing if somewhat rather shocking entertainment,done with a tongue in cheek sense of mischief.....
Old 30th April 2008, 07:39 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Yes, seen both versions.

BIG fan of the original - and the remake is, as you say, a carbon copy. I was expecting something new from Haneke - at least an edge - but no, almost everything is exactly the same.

Which makes me wonder what's the point? There is no problem with the US version, and the cast perform admirably - but the cast in the original are just as excellent (in fact, i'd say better - but then I've been a fan of the original for the past decade - so know it very well). I certainly prefer the original actors, as there was something far more effective of seeing actors you don't know as well.

So, although the remake is technically satisfactory - i'd say seek out the original, and see where it all began. There was something just a little flat about the remake I couldn't put my finger on - though likely the heavy sense of deja vu.

(Also Haneke's ironic dissection of post-modern violence was much more potent then I feel - though still holding up very well indeed..)

Last edited by Delirium; 30th April 2008 at 07:43 PM.
Old 30th April 2008, 11:30 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
Yes, seen both versions.

BIG fan of the original - and the remake is, as you say, a carbon copy. I was expecting something new from Haneke - at least an edge - but no, almost everything is exactly the same.

Which makes me wonder what's the point?
From the man himself :

'The idea of the original was to address the American viewer of violent films a little bit, but unfortunately and because of the German-speaking cast, the original film worked only on the arthouse circuit. When they gave me the opportunity to make it again and in a new language, I said, "Okay, let's do it". I hope it works. We'll see. I'm very curious.'
Old 1st May 2008, 08:40 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trench View Post
From the man himself :

'The idea of the original was to address the American viewer of violent films a little bit, but unfortunately and because of the German-speaking cast, the original film worked only on the arthouse circuit. When they gave me the opportunity to make it again and in a new language, I said, "Okay, let's do it". I hope it works. We'll see. I'm very curious.'
Yeah, I know - had a similar discussion on another forum.

Thing is, the film still has very arthouse sensibilities - which are much deeper rooted than just the language barrier. Switching over to english language does very little to the nature, or structure of the film.

I understand it was branching out to (US) viewers in particular, as a statement on their adherence to cinematic violence - but I think the exercise in itself does little to promote world cinema, which is a crying shame.

It's almost like saying: "Here, hollywood actors you will recognise - in a language you will understand, please recognise me as a director now!". It's not the only film of his that makes firm statements on violence (Benny's Video as one potent example - but many of his film's cover such themes). I just think if he wants to be recognised in the US market, he should make an original US film (keeping within his style) and maintain the themes we are so familiar with, which will, if successful, encourage people to explore his back catalog.

He should not be remaking something, that simply does not require it.

Like this? Share it using the links below!