Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2000's

Poll: I think Lars von Trier's Antichrist is...
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
I think Lars von Trier's Antichrist is...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th March 2011, 10:47 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Just finished watching "Antichrist". I rather enjoyed it, though it lacked the depth of character and ideas I thought it would have. Did anyone else spot the films it lifts images and ideas from? I noticed in the end credits a credit for "Horror Film Researcher" which would explain the cabin in the woods (Evil Dead and any number of recent cannibal hillbilly films), blood ejaculation (Nekromantik), disablement of leg (Misery) and the whole over riding themes of therapy/psychology and witchcraft/the evil of women (Haxan).
Old 27th March 2011, 11:14 PM
Cult Rookie

Love, love, love it. I'm pretty sure it's the first von Trier film I've seen and it's certainly the first time I've seen Charlotte Gainsbourg in anything and I was just blown away.

Well, not instantly blown away – before watching it I'd heard it described as horror film so many times that I was expecting certain things from it, as you tend to do from genre films. So for the first half or so of the film I was just at a complete loss as to what it actually was that I was watching. But then I realised it's actually more of a horror film than almost any other film, because it deals so directly with what fear is.

I've written a rather lengthy piece about this on my horror film blog which can be found at titsandascream dot blogspot dot com (I can't include links yet, sorry). It would be great to hear if you guys have any feedback on that
KPWNINJA and Demoncrat like this.
Old 30th April 2011, 01:51 AM
Cultist

I bought Antichrist without having seen it first.

I honestly don't know how I feel about it.

I really liked the concept. (Horror film traits combined with psychology and the theme of the evil of women.)

But I found it really boring, to the extent it was difficult to sit through.

It was quite visually impressive and had great ideas.

But ultimately didn't delve into those idea's enough. And from what I remember some of the dialogue was surprisingly trite.

Much of the film didn't make any sense.

I liked the surreal moment of the talking fox. There should have been much more of that. If you're going to make a film where a fox talks () why not have more scenes like that?

Did anyone else think it was inspired, partly, by David Lynch films?

I'm surprised, everything I've heard about Antichrist, and I've never heard anyone mention how Lynchian it was.

Anyway, to sum up it had good aspects, but not enough violence, surrealism and didn't delve in to it's misogynistic theme enough.
Old 1st May 2011, 02:29 PM
Active Cultist

i think maybe it was more influenced by tarkovsky. lars paid heavy homage to him with his first film 'element of crime', i think maybe he was returning to this with antichrist.
Old 1st May 2011, 04:06 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post
i think maybe it was more influenced by tarkovsky. lars paid heavy homage to him with his first film 'element of crime', i think maybe he was returning to this with antichrist.
Without a shadow of a doubt. He made De Foe and Gainsbourg watch Tarkovsky's The Mirror prior to filming and I believe Antichrist was actually dedicated to Tarkovsky as well.

Side note: I love The Element of Crime. Might give that a watch later actually.
Old 8th May 2011, 03:44 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Antichrist was a pleasant suprise for me as I wasn't too familiar with Von Trier's work before I had seen this film. The direction is fantastic!
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 9th July 2011, 11:49 PM
Cult Rookie

I ordered this from Hastings 10 minutes ago, it should be in between 6-8 days.
I watched the trailer for it on Criterion's site, and a few on utb as well. I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't like this film, as Dafoe is such an odd fellow making him kind of hard to take your eyes off.
Old 19th July 2011, 12:49 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Watched this the other night

Something utterly gripping about it!

Well made and disturbing
Old 19th July 2011, 07:30 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Still not watched it......

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 21st July 2011, 01:18 AM
Cult Rookie

The scene with the scissors. [Ha!]
What a weird flick
Demoncrat likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!