Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2000's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th July 2008, 10:02 AM
Cultist

Default The Mist (2007)

I finally got to watch The Mist at the cinema last night.

My local cinema was showing it at the ridiculous time of 11pm and only on a Friday, Saturday and Sunday night so trying to get time to see it has been a real struggle. However last night I decided if I wanted to see this at the cinema I'd have to go then or miss it.

Anyway I loved the film and think it will rank up there as one of the best adaptations of a Stephen King novella.

Strong performances.
Decent special effects.

There are some genuinely creepy moments and, surprisingly, plenty of moments that raise laughs too (with the audience laughing out loud).

The myriad of creatures is excellent, they are nasty.

The ending left me with mixed feelings...

Go see this film!
Old 20th July 2008, 10:06 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I wanted to see this but it seems to have been given a very limited release. Not at my local for a start.
Old 20th July 2008, 10:13 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel View Post
I wanted to see this but it seems to have been given a very limited release. Not at my local for a start.
I have two cinemas in my home town and only one was screening it. I don't understand why as the film has had good success in the US and has had excellent reviews all over the world.

Yet my local cinema will be screening Wall.E about sixty times a day! OK that's exaggerated but you know what I mean.
Old 20th July 2008, 11:23 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

The Mist is a brilliant movie - some iffy CGI aside - and one of the best American horror films in a long while! Plus it has Thomas Jane in the lead, how could anyone not want to see it???

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Yet my local cinema will be screening Wall.E about sixty times a day! OK that's exaggerated but you know what I mean.
Ha - having a Pixar movie being shown over and over again is a dream come true for me. I love their stuff.

If it was White Chicks, or any other Wayans Brothers movie, on the other hand...

Welcome to The Deuce
Old 20th July 2008, 01:51 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Saw the dvd & thought it was one of the best King adaptions.The appearance of the first creature is spoiled by the ropey CGI (though the film had a surprisingly low budget) but the later creatures are well done & suitably nasty.
Old 20th July 2008, 01:59 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philleh View Post
The Mist is a brilliant movie - some iffy CGI aside - and one of the best American horror films in a long while! Plus it has Thomas Jane in the lead, how could anyone not want to see it???

Ha - having a Pixar movie being shown over and over again is a dream come true for me. I love their stuff.

If it was White Chicks, or any other Wayans Brothers movie, on the other hand...
I don't mind a Pixar film being screened so often as it has an audience (sometimes me included) but I just find it incredibly frustrating that other films are sidelined. Of course Pixar will make a trillion dollars so Vue and all the other chains will continue to please the majority.

I like Thomas (Tom) Jane, he's very commanding whenever he's on screen and completely watchable. Not sure why he isn't a major player???
Old 20th July 2008, 02:02 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark meakin View Post
Saw the dvd & thought it was one of the best King adaptions.The appearance of the first creature is spoiled by the ropey CGI (though the film had a surprisingly low budget) but the later creatures are well done & suitably nasty.
I'd read somewhere that the CGI had been 'tweaked' for the DVD? I agree that the first creature is a little poorly done but the rest are superb. What did you to think to the ending?
Old 20th July 2008, 02:32 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Not the Hollywood norm for sure !.I thought it was fine myself not wanting to give anything away for people who have yet to watch it.I thought Thomas Jane was great in The Punisher,Stander & Deep Blue Sea & I'm looking forward to the Mutant Chronicles which he also stars in.

Last edited by mark meakin; 20th July 2008 at 02:34 PM.
Old 21st July 2008, 05:54 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

He was also in David Arquette's directorial debut - The Tripper. Which is actually very good!

I'm not sure why he isn't bigger, but I know he makes a lot of low-key movies, like Stander.

I didn't have a problem with the CGI really, you get caught up in the story so easily that it's promptly overlooked. The finale was cracking, as were the huge walking nasties! It was like Lovecraft had come to life.

Welcome to The Deuce
Old 21st July 2008, 08:20 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I saw this a few months ago, via the Region 1 disc. I thought it was great. Really quite brave for a mainstream flick and I'd definitely recommend it.

Like this? Share it using the links below!