Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2000's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th June 2008, 03:08 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Default Planet Terror (2007)

Hello!!!!!!!!

Just wondering, have any of you guys seen Robert Rodriguez's "Planet Terror" (org. a double feature with QT's "Death Proof" - but I'm sure you knew that)?

It's sooo good - a brilliant homage to the 70's 80's exploitation films. What did you think of it?

BTW - if you haven't seen - I would def. go and buy it as you'll probably love it (like me!) - It might be the closest thing, recently, to great exploitation.
Old 9th June 2008, 03:19 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I really liked PLNAET TERROR ? it was everything I imagined it would be, which is a lot more than I can say about DEATH PROOF, which I thought was very over-long and self-indulgent.

That said, I bought the Japanese release of Grindhouse (6 disc set encompassing the original GRINDHOUSE cut of both films and a bonus disc and DP and PT with bonus discs). DEATH PROOF works a lot better shorter. It's still no masterpiece but it's certainly a lot more slick. PLANET TERROR on the other hand, seemed to suffer in its shorter incarnation ? the extended, stand-alone version is definitely better.
Old 9th June 2008, 04:52 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I agree with that Paul....DEATH PROOF seemed to dddrrrraaaggg on before any decent stuff,whilst PLANET TERROR in it's extended form rip-roars from start to finish....PT is a MUST SEE.....totally ott and outrageous.....
Old 9th June 2008, 07:03 PM
Cultist

Good timing!

I was thinking about buying this today (it's on offer in HMV) and now I've read these comments I'll buy it tomorrow.

I'm not a fan of Tarantino (I really liked Kill Bill) so Death Proof doesn't appeal and to be honest from what I've seen it comes across as a bit too knowing, it's well aware of how tongue in cheek it is and I think it missed the point if it's aware of what it is (does any of this make sense? If it does please explain it to me ;-p)
Old 9th June 2008, 07:11 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I bought the region 1 mate,but was in Zavvi yesterday,and couldn't RESIST their exclusive cover....it had 18 quid on the label,but when I got to the till,it was reduced to nine quid-winner!
Old 9th June 2008, 07:15 PM
Cultist

I shall be popping along to HMV in the morning and purchase a copy. I noticed it has a lovely array of extras too.
Old 9th June 2008, 07:16 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Yeah the Zavvi exclusive is a two disc affair also....
Old 10th June 2008, 08:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

"Planet Terror" is clearly the better of the two "Grindhouse" flicks...but as a whole I'm still not too wowed by the whole idea of doing two big budget genre films "in the style" of 70's cheapo fare to honor the "Grindhouse Days"...They should have done it rather in the REAL "Grindhouse" mode: With unknown actors, tight schedule and next-to-zero budget...THAT might have turned out far more interesting and "true".
As it stands, there's a "plastic" feel to the whole concept, but PT certainly gets closer to the "spirit" than the chitty-chatty "Death Proof".
Old 10th June 2008, 08:18 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Yeah I found DP a struggle to sit through Peter,(DEATH PROOF before we get any smart comments).....PT barely let's up from the word GO,as we've come to expect from Rodriguez....
Old 11th June 2008, 01:12 PM
Cultist

Like most people here, I didn't get on with Death Proof at all but really liked Planet Terror. Also had a fantastic time with the fake trailers (I'm waiting for the full Grindhouse release before getting any of it on DVD, and I can't justify paying more than ?50 for the import). Favourite trailer was Werewolf Women of the SS, but I really loved them all.

Planet Terror, to go back to the proper topic, was great fun. Also had a terrific score.

Like this? Share it using the links below!