Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2000's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th June 2008, 11:45 PM
Active Cultist

Default The Happening (2008)

Did a search but couldn't find a thread so here's my views on this attroc . . . .sorry film.

I get it now, M Night figured he would get even with those that thought his last two films were shit by delivering us a truly shit film like this.

I just got back from this cringe inducing mess of a film. The script is atrocious and I couldn't believe this was greenlighted and came from the same fella who made Unbreakable (my favourite) or Sixth Sense (overated but still good) or even Signs and The Village (Both ok films and IMO undeserving of all the negative reviews). This IMO deserves all the negative reviews it is receiving, it's that bad.

It's not the concept that's bad it's the execution of it, the dialogue is some of the worst I've heard in years. I wanted this to be a return to form but for me it's right up there with Ghost Ship and Dreamcatcher as the worse genre film of recent years.

Yuck, I need to get rid of the stink. Think I'll slap Videodrome in.
Old 14th June 2008, 11:56 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I was looking forward to seeing this as the trailer really leaves you wondering .
No Spoilers Please, but is it really that bad.?
Old 15th June 2008, 08:36 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I didn't think it was that bad, certainly better than the awful VILLAGE and the hugely pretentious UNBREAKABLE. Still, my enjoyment was somewhat hampered by some loud chavs that were yelling at each other, throwing popcorn, sending text messages and generally making nuissances of themselves. I got so angry, I ended up screaming "Shut Up!" at the top of my voice(!) and managed to get so wound up and angry, I pretty much missed the last 15 minutes of the film.
Old 15th June 2008, 03:08 PM
Cultist

Firstly I hate talking AND eating (depends what type of film it is) at the cinema. And the use of mobile phones <grrrrrrrrrrrr> Well done Paul for making a stand.

I thought Signs and The Village were terrible films and haven't seen Unbreakable or Lady In The Water but having read lots about this I had hoped it was going to be a decent return to form (based upon The Sixth Sense). However three friends have seen it and have all said terrible things about it, not one redeemable thing.

I'll wait for the DVD.
Old 15th June 2008, 04:39 PM
Ex-member

I went to watch this film In the cinema and It was shit some part was hilarious.
Old 15th June 2008, 11:49 PM
Active Cultist

Oh dear what a mess, there was howling in the audience due to the hilarious dialogue, also what was with the R rating it got Stateside? Did I miss something cos there was hardly any blood in the whole film. Beside all this you've got the 2 leads who've given their worse performances of their careers.
Old 30th June 2008, 01:02 PM
Cultist in Training
Good Trader

Yeah, apparently the cut version was submitted to the BBFC. The uncut version played in the US, if you search "the happening red band trailer" on Youtube you'll see very fast glimpses of **SPOILERS** the hair pin in the throat, the man being run over by the lawnmower and the lions tearing the man's arms off.

I presume this version will turn up over here on a "what you couldn't see in the cinemas" version, which is ridiculous considering home video versions of films have always been more likely to be censored than cinema releases. Still, who cares, The Happening was complete and total bollocks.
Old 30th June 2008, 01:11 PM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

I'm really gutted that everyone is saying The Happening sucks so much. I had been really looking forward to it.
Old 30th June 2008, 01:13 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahw1984 View Post
I'm really gutted that everyone is saying The Happening sucks so much. I had been really looking forward to it.
I thought it was alright, Sarah - nowhere near as bad as what others have been saying.
Old 30th June 2008, 01:22 PM
Cultist in Training
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahw1984 View Post
Watching the trailer after having seen the film is really interesting, as it makes it look an awful lot more exciting than it is. There's one bit where **POSSIBLE SPOILER BUT IT IS IN THE TRAILER** marky Mark is in a house, and theres a violent thumping on the walls like some giant Lovecraftian terror is trying to get in, then windows smash all around him.
Sadly, in the film this sequence becomes comical once you see what is actually causing the "devastation".

Like this? Share it using the links below!