Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2000's

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th August 2008, 07:08 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Default 30 Days Of Night (2007)

Fairly entertaining slice of vamp hokum.

Production standards, acting and camera work too good for my usual exploitation standards
Old 11th August 2008, 07:10 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Thought this was REALLY atmospheric Beds,a decent modern horror for a change.....
Old 11th August 2008, 07:17 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Agreed. It was quite tense in some parts. Great storyline, fantastic atmosphere, quality gore. Just lack the obligatory GBS that occurs in most flicks of that type.

I loved the way that it sorted of bucked the movie trend and things happened instantly instead of messing around (especially when folk were on the run)
Old 11th August 2008, 10:51 PM
Cult Rookie

One of the best decpitations I have ever seen!
Old 13th August 2008, 08:41 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

This one took me by surprise as I hadn't really expected much upfront despite liking the trailer in the theatre.
I'd probably assumed wrongly that Sam Raimi would only produce PG-13 rated horror fare for his "Ghost House" company- and I was totally unfamiliar with the comic book on which this is based on.
Somehow very Carpenteresque in a way the elderly Master himself doesn't seem to be able to produce these days any more.
Watched this only once so far....but as the days are getting darker again (at least here, far up north) I might get tempted to revisit this quite soon....
Old 15th August 2008, 05:52 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

At last! A really good modern vampire flick.Some of the recent vamp output has been fair(vampire sisters) to unwatchable(the last sect,a candle in the dark.)
Great locations,lots of grue,really nasty looking vamps and a fast paced story.Yowza!

Then again,im a sucker(no pun intended.) for near dark,but that was made 20 odd year ago.
Still have the ultra low budget darkness residing in my wish list,great splattery lb vampire flick,and its out in a 2 disc edition.
Anyone recommend any recent vamp flicks of interest?
Old 18th August 2008, 04:29 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I liked 30 Days Of Night a great deal too.It looked great & the decapitation was lucky to pass intact in the original 15 classified theatrical version (not upgraded to an 18 for dvd)Decent vampire flicks are pretty thin on the ground these days.Lost Boys 2 is lousy as I saw it a couple of weeks back.I'm still prefer the old Hammer vampire films & the underrated Innocent Blood (1992)
Old 19th January 2009, 12:22 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I watched this last night and I'd agree with the consensus here, it's a very good modern vampire movie. I loved its bleak atmosphere and I think it had a real John Carpenter feel to it . Good gore, good storyline (despite the odd cliche) and despite being surprised at the choice of Josh Hartnett as the Sheriff I thought he was very convincing actually. My only complaint is the sound on the DVD, it was really hard to understand what they were saying at times because of the quiet dialogue, so you'd have to raise the volume and suddenly all the explosions and that would start so you'd have to decrease it again... not very ideal.

I've just read the comic book extracts that come with the DVD and I see they've written a few sequels to it. I wonder if they'll be filmed?
Old 19th January 2009, 01:28 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I'm surprised how hard some people have been on the film.It has some of the nastiest & creepiest vampires depicted on film for starters.It was very atmospheric with some stunning visuals (the shot of the ship & the snow swirling around the empty buildings)and it was very similar to Carpenter's The Thing replacing shape-shifting aliens with bloodsuckers.One of my favourite releases of last year on dvd.Also screened surprisingly quickly on Bravo a few nights ago.
Old 19th January 2009, 06:42 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Atmospherically,there's been nothing to touch it recently......had me on the edge of my seat....

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.

Like this? Share it using the links below!