Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2000's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th September 2008, 08:43 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default The Girl Next Door (2007)

Anyone seen this?

It's based on the story of a girl who was subjected to a catalogue of abuse by her aunt and her 3 sons.

I thought it was a powerfully made film with a lot of great performances.

Despite its graphic scenes of torture it was passed with an R in the States without cuts. I would imagine the BBFC would pass it uncut although I can't be 100% sure. One things for sure it could never be shown on TV over here.
Old 7th September 2008, 09:19 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

It was a book before they made it into a film.

Apparently the book is so extreme, anyone thats read it thought it could never be made into a film.
Old 7th September 2008, 09:52 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Watching this movie truly made me angry, I've never felt such hatred towards one person before - the aunt in this movie is just a pathetic excuse of a parasite. Amazing material turned into a stunning movie. It deserved more than straight to DVD.

Welcome to The Deuce
Old 7th September 2008, 04:10 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipco View Post
It was a book before they made it into a film.

Apparently the book is so extreme, anyone thats read it thought it could never be made into a film.
Well the difficult part in transferring it to film was the problem involving the child actors. In the film children play a major part in the abuse of the young girl. But of course what would be acceptable for a book would pose serious problems when it comes to making a film. The lead actress in the film who plays the abuse victim was 21 when the film was made, although she is supposed to be 16. In the book she was just 12. Most of the other children though are genuine children - under 16. So of course the film had to avoid breaking any child obsenity laws and the fact thay they got their uncut R shows everything worked out just right. Even so when you watch the film you might be surprised at what they did show in regards to the torture involving children. But it's all down to clever camera work.

There are certainly some very strong torture scenes although the blow torch scene was never filmed anymore than what you see in the film. They would have been crossing the line I think if they had shown it.

As mentioned it's a well made film.
Old 6th June 2016, 04:24 PM
Cultist

Agreed. It is a well-made film, and a surprisingly strong adaptation of some really brutal source material.

The book ranks among my all-time favorite novels. That said, it's not the kind of book you can say you "enjoy" . . . it's really rough stuff, the kind of story you will never forget. What makes it even more horrifying is the fact that's based on a true story, and not loosely.

Like this? Share it using the links below!