Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2000's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th October 2008, 08:08 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Hmmmm don't know Dude-IMHO they may be pushing the boat out just a little too far....

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 23rd October 2008, 10:25 AM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

YIPPEE! I just booked a ticket to see SAW V this friday (24th) - CANNOT WAIT!
Old 23rd October 2008, 02:45 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdvds View Post
YIPPEE! I just booked a ticket to see SAW V this friday (24th) - CANNOT WAIT!
I can't make it tomorrow I'm off to see it on saturday night though , really looking forward to it. I'm glad Hoffman was the character to take over Jigsaw's legacy and I'm looking forward to seeing how that pans out. I think his character was definatley the best choice. Also can't wait to see what new levels of brutality and gore they manage to incorporate into the traps, they seem to get more brutal with each film, should be fun
Old 23rd October 2008, 04:45 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

You think so? I was disappointed by Hoffman as his character was too underdeveloped imo. The message it sent to me was that anyone could be converted.
Old 23rd October 2008, 05:22 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud View Post
You think so? I was disappointed by Hoffman as his character was too underdeveloped imo. The message it sent to me was that anyone could be converted.
I see what you mean, he was slightly underdeveloped but I liked his character and thought he had a lot of potential. Hopefully with this new twist they'll be able to rectify that, what with him now being the new jigsaw and hence the driving force behind the new film(s). It'll hopefully explain it a bit more, although, I agree, it wouldn't have hurt to do that a bit in the previous films.
Old 26th October 2008, 12:24 AM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Went to see Saw V earlier tonight. Personally I thought it was absolutely brilliant Obviously I wont give anything away but it really ties together the entire series so far and answers all the questions. As for the ending I was practically on the edge of my seat as it was building up to it and when it finally hit.... I was still buzzing when I left the cinema, my favourite ending of the series so far.

Not quite the new beginning I imagined It'd be but more of a grand finale to the previous story arcs. It's kind of a transitional film, it ties up all the loose ends from I to IV, but at the same time creates a number of new possible directions to lead into Part VI. I was slightly disapointed with IV but after seeing V my interest and love for the series has really been revitalised, can't wait for the next one.

'........in the end, all the pieces will fit together'
Old 27th October 2008, 07:57 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Just to echo what Hal said really. Just been to watch it and I was VERY impressed! Though IV was good it was in my opinion a minor hiccup but V has put the series back on course and some. Top class entertainment and I urge everyone to go and see it, don't think about it just do it.

PS, I'm still missing Eric Matthews though, it ain't the same without him .
Old 27th October 2008, 09:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

And here it is:

My SAW V Review.
Old 28th October 2008, 12:23 AM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud View Post

PS, I'm still missing Eric Matthews though, it ain't the same without him .
Really cloud? I thought Matthews was a total douche, when he got his head smashed in Part IV I actually cheered He'd had that coming since Part II. He was a good character but only so that you'd root for John when he screwed him over at the end of II. It's Jigsaw/ Hoffman all the way for me
Old 28th October 2008, 11:36 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Oh definitely, Eric Matthews is my favourite character from the series. I know SAW II takes a lot of flak from people (despite having the most points of all sequels on IMDb) but his and Jigsaw's mindgames were priceless and were brilliantly played by Donnie Wahlberg and Tobin Bell. In fact Matthews' character is mostly why I regard part II as my favourite of the bunch. I like him because he's so human if you know what I mean, out of all the characters on show he's the one that's as real as you can get, a once great cop/person who after divorce* lost his way in life and so started cutting corners to get by (framing those scumbags and having strained relations with his son). He's arrogant and troubled but underneath you could see a good person that was temporarily lost and I think that's why Rigg and Kerry were so protective of him. We've all had times when we've lost our way but nobody deserves what Eric Matthews was put through in this series because he won their game and still wasn't set free.

I think killing him off was a bad move and though Strahm was alright in V it would have been better with a vengeful Eric Matthews making amends with his son and then trying to track down Hoffman instead.

* I think he got divorced anyway.

Like this? Share it using the links below!