Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2000's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th October 2008, 11:39 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Default Saw V (2008)

Anyone else looking forward to this? There seems to be a lot of negativity towards the Saw sequels online, I really can't see why myself. I've been really impressed with the sequels to date, Saw 3 being my favourite of the series.

The fact they seem to be coming out every year kind of reminds me of the old school horror franchises of the 80's like Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street etc. I wasn't old enough to see that happen back then so it's good to see it happen now. It sure as hell beats the barrage of crap remakes that seem to get churned out on a weekly basis.
Old 16th October 2008, 06:11 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I'm looking forward to this as I have enjoyed all the films in the series so far. 3 being my favourite as well. They are all very good films.
Old 16th October 2008, 10:08 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I bought the so called special edition boxset with our puppet friend on so I'm a fan.I was annoyed to discover this set contained the first releases of Saw 2& the extreme not directors cut of Saw 3 (despite both being already on sale individually at).I just bought the Saw 2 special edition 2-disc & put that in the set & I'm looking for a cheap copy of Saw 3-The Directors cut to replace the extreme one.Then I'll have the cuts I want in the boxset unless they bring out Saw IV again.Mind you with Saw V coming out I'm screwed anyway !
Old 16th October 2008, 10:13 AM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

I've just bought that boxset over on Amazon Marketplace. I'm not too bothered about the cuts of the films as I've only see the first one anyway. Need to watch them for research purposes and it worked out cheaper to buy the box set rather than buying the individual cuts.

Is there much difference between the directors cuts and the extreme editions? And does Saw 2 suffer by being the first release?
Old 16th October 2008, 10:42 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I picked up the R1 box set (with Billy The Puppet special packaging) for ?11 second hand a few months ago, and everything apart from the quiz part on SAW III worked perfectly. So that was bargain of the year for me as I held off buying the individual releases and just stuck to watching each at the cinema.

I'm a huge fan of the SAW series. I regard it as one of the best Horror franchises ever thought up. And I shall be watching SAW V at the cinema, preferably on October 24th.
Old 16th October 2008, 11:30 AM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I LUV SAW!! I LUV SAW II! I LUV SAW III! And I LUV SAW IV. So there's no doubt I'll luv Saw V! They are a brilliant francise and possibly one of the best francises in horror, that, in my opinion, ofcourse, has not got worse and worse like the Hellraiser francise or the Alien francise did to name but a few. These films are some of the most gripping films around and the twists are so FANTASTIC! I actually cheered out loud when the twist of Saw was revealed!tha sad lol!

As for DVD's - I haven't got them in a boxset as I get them on DVD seperatly when they each come out, but the SAW IV DVD is the one where you press the button on the DVD and the boxsaw spins and Jigsaw voice is heard. BRILLIIANT!

I can't wait to see SAW V in the cinema - as now I'm able to see it at the cinemas rather than having to wait for it's DVD realese! BRING ON SAW VI!
Old 16th October 2008, 12:24 PM
Cultist

Yes I am looking forward to this film. I think they've been consistantly enjoyable.

iluvdvds wrote:
"SAW IV DVD is the one where you press the button on the DVD and the boxsaw spins and Jigsaw voice is heard. BRILLIIANT!"

Yes and I nearly packed my pants when I pressed the button as I wasn't expecting it to do what it does. My mate and the guy from HMV who was near us nearly wet themselves laughing.

Last edited by steve; 16th October 2008 at 06:34 PM.
Old 16th October 2008, 12:36 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I got the motorised packaging edition of SAW IV too. I thought that was a good sequel but was let down by one of the most frustrating endings in celluloid history.
Old 16th October 2008, 05:02 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Looking definetely forward to it. Luckily it won't be chopped up in Finland! German fans will have to wait until January for the theatrical run...probably only to get a further censored print like with the 4th. installment....
Old 16th October 2008, 10:21 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloween_22 View Post
Anyone else looking forward to this? There seems to be a lot of negativity towards the Saw sequels online, I really can't see why myself.
Glad to see thats not the case here I'm planning on going to see Saw V at the cinema next weekend, can't wait.

I agree cloud, the ending to Saw IV was extremley frustrating. It seemed to suffer from trying to throw in too many twists in for it's own good. It was still a great film with plenty of good, nasty traps/ deaths but the ending felt a little contrived and confused. Hopefully they'll have sorted it out for the new one.

What with Saw VI already announced I wonder if they'll end the series there or continue with a Saw VII, that'll be interesting to see. Maybe after that they'll do 'Saw VIII: Jigsaw takes Manhattan'

Like this? Share it using the links below!