Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2000's

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th March 2012, 07:13 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Grindhouse (2007)

Discuss Grindhouse here (Death Proof / Planet Terror)
Old 5th March 2012, 07:21 PM
Ex-member

I think the Grindhouse effect is just shite
the deliberate missing reels, jump cuts, scarred pq. etc is not my type of film
DEATH PROOF was too talky which is a trademark of Tarantino and PLANET TERROR was overdone by Rodriguez in the Grindhouse 'look' imo
someone said on this site it gives a look of old films or something, that's crap
it just gives a look of a badly made film which were plenty a dozen in 70's America
Of course the films have there fans but not me and others
Old 5th March 2012, 07:25 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringer Of Funerals View Post
Discuss Grindhouse here (Death Proof / Planet Terror)
I'm not being a dick but even a cursory search of the forum shows there was already a Grindhouse thread with more discussion and purpose than a one sentence "discuss it here" thread-opener.

This just seems a bit pointless, especially if the Original Poster has nothing to say on the subject.

Mod, threads, merge?
Old 5th March 2012, 07:26 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I think it give the look of a print that has been passed around that may cinemas, that it looks beaten up etc. I was actually disappointed that Machete didn't look the same!
Old 5th March 2012, 07:31 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I do think that Death Proof's effects looked better as they were, at least largely, physical damage to the actual film print. Some of the effects in Planet Terror looked too artificial and digital for me. I know he's a huge proponent of digital film-making but I genuinely think Planet Terror would have looked better had Rodriguez shot it on 35mm, y'know, like all those Grindhouse films were.
Old 5th March 2012, 07:36 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
I think it give the look of a print that has been passed around that may cinemas, that it looks beaten up etc. I was actually disappointed that Machete didn't look the same!
I wasn't!
Pre credits the film was of course scarred in places but not too much and then a great film w/great pq
Old 5th March 2012, 07:36 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
I do think that Death Proof's effects looked better as they were, at least largely, physical damage to the actual film print. Some of the effects in Planet Terror looked too artificial and digital for me. I know he's a huge proponent of digital film-making but I genuinely think Planet Terror would have looked better had Rodriguez shot it on 35mm, y'know, like all those Grindhouse films were.
Maybe, but it would have increased the costs of the movie, as CGI (like the machine gun leg) are easier to apply if your master's a digital one, I guess.

I love both Planet Terror and Death Proof. When Grindhouse was released, my favourite was PT. Now, after many, many rewatches, I'd say that both parts are on a par with each other. The movie's an excellent tribute to 70's sleaziest slices of cinema.

Greetings!
Old 5th March 2012, 07:42 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
Maybe, but it would have increased the costs of the movie, as CGI (like the machine gun leg) are easier to apply if your master's a digital one, I guess.
It would cost more, but more to do with the cost of film stock vs digital storage than than the reason you suggest I expect. The effects would just be done in post after the negative was scanned digitally for the CGI to be added to.

Quote:
I love both Planet Terror and Death Proof. When Grindhouse was released, my favourite was PT. Now, after many, many rewatches, I'd say that both parts are on a par with each other. The movie's an excellent tribute to 70's sleaziest slices of cinema.

Greetings!
I love both but Death Proof is my favourite by a country mile. One of those films I could sit down and watch at any time. INCREDIBLE soundtrack too.
Prince_Vajda likes this.
Old 5th March 2012, 07:44 PM
Cult Acolyte

Out of the 2 I prefer Planet Terror to DP because in Death Proof the women just spoke about crap you'd hear a chav talk about on the back of a bus.
Then towards the end was where most of the action took place via a big car chase, even Quentin said he was trying to make the best chase sequence ever. I just think he was wishful thinking.

At least with PT it was a decent zombie film (i see what you mean by the effects of old reels look too digital). I found problems with it like dialogue that needed trimming and how it was delivered was crap.

But in some odd way i did enjoy it
Old 5th March 2012, 07:48 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringer Of Funerals View Post
Out of the 2 I prefer Planet Terror to DP because in Death Proof the women just spoke about crap you'd hear a chav talk about on the back of a bus.
Got to admit, I've never heard anyone at the back of a bus talking about John Hughes movies, Vanishing Point, the problems that come with having a crush on a 'stand-in f--ker', how a mix-tape is more romantic than a burnt cd or interesting facts about Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Titch. Must be getting the wrong buses
Prince_Vajda likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!