Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2000's

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th November 2008, 01:37 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default [REC] (Jaume Balaguero & Paco Plaza, 2007)

I've just finished watching this. What a belter of a film, absolutely exhilarating film that was full throttle from beginning to end. It's a shaky cam movie about a TV crew who along with the fire service enter a block of flats and get trapped in after someone in there becomes rabid and starts attacking everyone. I don't wanna give too much away but the twist was creepy as hell!

My only grumble is apart from the ending it wasn't scary and didn't make me jump. But it made up for that in entertainment. A brilliant film.

Who else has seen it?

Old 7th November 2008, 05:56 AM
Ex-member

I keep meaning to pick this one up, it getting quite a cult following now.

The remake is meant to be as fun as weasels ripping at your flesh though.
Old 7th November 2008, 12:00 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Do yourself a favour and get it. After the recent disappointment of Diary Of The Dead then this was exactly what I needed. The 2 disc set is going for £5.99 on Play.

I can't believe it's already got a remake! I'm guessing it's because people had a problem reading subtitles .
Old 7th November 2008, 01:29 PM
Ex-member

Zavvi were selling it for under £5, I might have to pop in and buy it after work.
Old 7th November 2008, 03:49 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Told ya,you'd love it cloud.
Watched this a few weeks back after coming off a backshift,in an empty house with the lights off.Boy did it have the desired effect. The jump scenes..man,i knew they were coming but they still got me everytime.Also has a very claustrophobic atmosphere,and a scene straight out of demons 2. Brilliant stuff.
As cloud mentioned,its being remade for the american market under the title quarantine.The trailer is already doing the rounds of cinemas,and the remake is due out this month apparently.
Old 10th November 2008, 11:18 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Found it (I guess I need to start paying more attention )

I urge anyone who hasn't seen this film to pick it up. Seriously, it's scary as hell. It's one of those films thats much more effective to go into knowing quite little about it so I wont give anything away, It comes highly recommended from me. One of the best films I've seen in ages.

Last edited by Halloween_22; 10th November 2008 at 11:38 PM.
Old 11th November 2008, 01:17 AM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

It's a great film, came at me completely out of nowhere and totally put the shits up me. I hadn't been that twitchy watching a film since "Ju-on" or "The Blair Witch Project". Teaser poster thingy for "REC 2" :

Last edited by trench; 11th November 2008 at 01:31 AM.
Old 15th November 2008, 01:04 AM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Anyone seen the trailer for the REC remake Quarantine yet? Obviously dont know if it's the case or not but it looks pretty much like another shot for shot remake Goddammit. Didn't REC itself only come out like a year ago? Does it really need a remake already?
Old 15th November 2008, 01:43 AM
Ex-member

seen Quarantine didn't know it was a remake until after i watched it,(never seen rec)a ok film but bods with super rabies come on
Old 15th November 2008, 03:09 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gax View Post
a ok film but bods with super rabies come on
Not sure I understand what you're getting at there. Do you mean it's not a scary premise for a film? I haven't seen Quarantine, so I don't know if they maybe changed a vital plot point, but in Rec :

SPOILERS

When they end up in the penthouse, they discover that the former owner was an agent of the Vatican who was charged with researching and isolating a suspected virus believed to be the biological cause of demonic possession, which was later confirmed to exist in a young girl who was supposedly possessed. The agent kidnapped and brought the girl to the penthouse to conduct his research and to possibly cure her; unfortunately, during the work the virus managed to mutate and become contagious.

Like this? Share it using the links below!