Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2010's

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PaulD

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th January 2013, 03:58 PM
Blogs Moderator

Default The Bay (2012)

“Director Barry Levinson deploys found footage to startling new effect, conveying terror of an ecological phenomenon that might easily be real… This is horror for grown-ups."

5 Stars - The Guardian

Opens in UK cinemas 01 Mar 2013

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water, you find out you can’t even drink it!

Veteran Hollywood blockbuster director Barry Levinson brings a rare pedigree to the horror genre utilising a variety of footage formats – from mobile phones, TV reports and CCTV to 911 recordings and web cam transmissions – to present a realistic and totally believable shocker.

An intelligent and thought-provoking horror movie with enough gore and stomach-churning imagery to satisfy even the most hardened horror fans, “The Bay” could put you off seafood and even drinking water for quite some time after the credits roll.

The quaint coastal town of Claridge, Maryland thrives on the safe, tranquil and abundant waters of Chesapeake Bay. During their annual Independence Day celebrations, a gruesome plague is unleashed, quickly infecting the residents and turning them against each other. A brutal and harrowing creature feature for the 21st century, “The Bay” graphically chronicles the descent of a small town into absolute terror.

Reviews

“A well-crafted eco-horror film. The scares linger long after the credits roll.” – Slashfilm.com.

“An unnerving eco-disaster thriller that refreshes the found footage trend with surprisingeffectiveness.” – The Hollywood Reporter.

“Provocative… generates significant dread.” – Indiewire.

“A chilling tale of something nasty mutating in the waters… thrilling and provocative.” – Screen
Daily.

“Exciting and compelling… genuinely scary and effective.” – Twitchfilm.

“A real creepfest, joins the suggestive company of eco-terror entries like Hitchcock’s ‘The Birds’ and 1979’s ‘Prophecy’… The body count is massive, the gore voluminous.” (Four Stars) –Time Out, New York.
Old 6th March 2013, 10:33 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Mark Kermode gave this a good review on Radio 5

Old 6th March 2013, 10:37 AM
Cult Acolyte

Yeah this seems to be getting critical praise across the board. Definitely on my to watch list . . .
Old 8th March 2013, 02:10 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Here's a little bit of fun to celebrate the upcoming release of The Bay...

Old 14th March 2013, 02:39 PM
Active Cultist

Saw this at Frightfest in Glasgow. Really enjoyed it and certainly worth a watch if you get the chance.
Old 22nd March 2013, 04:00 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by doolahrock View Post
Saw this at Frightfest in Glasgow. Really enjoyed it and certainly worth a watch if you get the chance.

Seconded. It is a little bit different as far as found footage goes and because the story is told from a variety of sources it doesn't have the problems that films about one person running around and capturing everything on his camera usually do. In the dvd extras Barry Levinson gives good insight into the reasons for shooting it in this way and shows that he clearly understands how to make it work.

The Twitter PR stunt earlier today was great fun too!
darthelvis likes this.
Old 22nd March 2013, 05:09 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Meh. Didn't think that much of it myself. A found footage has to do a LOT to impress me. In fact the only one in years to do so was the first Grave Encounter's. I would give The Bay a score of 6/10. In short, good in comparison to other found footage flicks but in the context of the overall genre not that outstanding.
Old 6th June 2016, 04:14 PM
Cultist

I didn't expect much from this one, but it really impressed me. It's rare that a horror film can really get under my skin these days (heh, get it?), but this one sure did. I almost had to turn it off at one point.

That is the sign of an effective fright flick. I definitely plan on buying a copy of this at some point. Unnerving.
Old 6th June 2016, 04:38 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesN View Post
I didn't expect much from this one, but it really impressed me. It's rare that a horror film can really get under my skin these days (heh, get it?), but this one sure did. I almost had to turn it off at one point.

That is the sign of an effective fright flick. I definitely plan on buying a copy of this at some point. Unnerving.
I too was impressed with The Bay. I seem to recall a few on here not rating it when it was first released so i held off watching it for ages.

Like this? Share it using the links below!