Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2010's

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th November 2012, 05:26 PM
Blogs Moderator

Default American Mary (2012)

On DVD & Blu-Ray 21 Jan 2013

Pre-order Via Amazon now

The Soska Sisters (aka The Twisted Twins), co-creators of the award winning, cult indie smash hit Dead Hooker In A Trunk make an awe-inspiring return with their second feature AMERICAN MARY, a stylish, sexy, disturbing and darkly comic “body-mod” horror-thriller that many critics are hailing as the best and most genuinely original horror movie of the year.

Co-written and co-directed by Jen and Sylvia Soska (Dead Hooker In A Trunk) and featuring an outstanding, career-best lead performance by Katharine Isabelle (Being Human; Freddie vs. Jason; Ginger Snaps) in the title role, AMERICAN MARY has been wowing audiences at international film festivals (including London’s Film4 Frightfest) throughout 2012 and has already garnered Five Star reviews from Horror-Movies.ca and BoxOfficeBuz.com and Four Star reviews from Fangoria and Dread Central.

A provocative and thought-provoking combination of the horrors of a feminist “Frankenstein” with a fetishist twist and the visceral thrills of the “female revenge” genre, the film boasts a strikingly original script, laced throughout with a wicked sense of humour and a darkly erotic charge, that admirably takes the horror genre in a fresh and new direction. Simultaneously beautiful, repulsive, shocking and endearing, AMERICAN MARY is an unmissable experience that firmly establishes the Soska Sisters as two of the hottest new talents working in cinema today.

Struggling to make financial ends meet while studying to be a surgeon, talented medical student Mary Mason (Katharine Isabelle) finds herself reduced to applying for work at a local strip joint in order to pay off her mounting debts. During her interview, she is unexpectedly called upon to perform some illegal emergency surgery on one of the club’s clients and is instantly rewarded with a significant cash payment.

Word of Mary’s scalpel-work soon reaches one of the club’s dancers, Beatress Johnson (Tristan Risk), who approaches her offering to pay handsomely for some off-the-books, extreme body-modification work on a friend. The ensuing surgery is a huge success and Mary’s skills soon attract the attention of an underground network of high-paying clientele, all looking for someone to administer procedures and body-mod work unavailable through the usual legal channels.

However, the allure of the easy money and the increasingly bizarre work she is commissioned to perform begins to leave a mark on Mary, and when an incident involving the established surgeons she once idolized leaves her traumatised, “Bloody Mary”, as she has come to be known, responds in the only way she knows how.
Nordicdusk likes this.
Old 26th November 2012, 06:58 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Im really looking forward to seeing this since i seen the first trailer and not to mention the beautiful Katharine Isabelle.
Sam@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 26th November 2012, 07:00 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I saw this a couple of weeks ago as coming soon on Amazon.

Hopefully it will be very good. Always liked Katharine Isabelle in the Ginger Snaps films.
Sam@Cult Labs and Nordicdusk like this.
Old 9th December 2012, 05:04 PM
Blogs Moderator

Some more female cinema psychos...

American Mary: Four Female Cinema Psychos | Facebook
Old 9th December 2012, 07:48 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I HIGHLY recommend this everyone on the boards. Best film I saw at this year's Frightfest by FAR.
Old 9th December 2012, 10:31 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Hopefully it will be very good. Always liked Katharine Isabelle in the Ginger Snaps films.
My sentiments exactly!
Old 11th December 2012, 06:31 PM
Blogs Moderator

Check out excellent reviews for American Mary:

American Mary - Reviews: "...Amercan Mary is easily one of the more impressive movies I have seen all year" | Facebook
Old 23rd December 2012, 06:05 PM
Blogs Moderator

American Mary Presents... Some Grisly Horror Injuries | Facebook
Old 26th December 2012, 11:50 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I heard good buzz about this from the Frightfest, although regrettably it wasn't one I caught.

I'm eager to see it.
Old 26th December 2012, 04:55 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Send a message via Yahoo to darthelvis

Will be looking to pick this up, some great reviews and comments.
Hang Loose & Join the Community @ www.theforcebook.com

Like this? Share it using the links below!