Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 2010's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=556)
-   -   The Green Inferno (2013) (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/2010s/10551-green-inferno-2013-a.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th September 2015 04:58 PM

The Green Inferno opened with $3,494,000.

This is what Box Office Mojo had to say in their forecast. Interesting reading as it would appear to be in profit already.

Quote:

The most fascinating new release I've seen in some time is BH Tilt's approach to Eli Roth's cannibal horror The Green Inferno. The film was originally picked up out of the 2013 Toronto Film Festival, but trouble between Open Road and the film's financier, Worldview Entertainment, took it off the 2014 release schedule. It eventually found a home at Blum's BH Tilt, which debuted the fun, low budget thriller Creep on Netflix earlier this year, but is now taking things straight to theaters... 1,540 of them to be exact.

Roth hasn't directed a feature film since 2007's Hostel: Part II, which didn't live up to the original or his debut feature, 2003's Cabin Fever. All things considered, the decision from BH Tilt to aggressively target more than 1,500 theaters with an R-rated film with a rating reason that includes phrases such as "aberrant violence and torture", "grisly disturbing images" and "brief graphic nudity" is bold, but will it pay off?

The studio's stated goal is an opening weekend around $4-5 million as Tilt paid under $1 million to acquire Inferno, but an opening in the realm of $2.3 million seems more reasonable. I'm basing this off very little as this is new territory and perhaps it will be a "shame on me" moment. Doubting Jason Blum seems a little unwise as he's done wonders with low budget releases, but with lackluster reviews and a primarily digital marketing campaign (I finally saw some trailers on television during last week's "South Park"), it's hard to imagine this one attracting too much of an audience. Tilt insists, however, the 1,539 theaters were chosen "because they are historically frequented by die-hard horror fans." Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

mr 420 27th September 2015 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by platostotal (Post 462804)
Wrestler Chris Jericho (a horror fan) has Eli Roth on his newest podcast talking Green Inferno, "Talk is Jericho" on Podcastone website. haven't given it a listen yet but should be fun.

Do you work for The Dark Side, P? Read five posts before your own. :tongue1::)

mr 420 27th September 2015 06:31 PM

The Chris Jericho podcast is actually a lot of fun. Eli shares quite a few amusing anicdotes about the making of the movie, the one involving the American Christian fundamental missionaries is a highlight.

After listening I'm actually looking forward to seeing this (to the point where I pulled out Cannibal Holocaust for another spin). Just think, a proper cannibal film with no animal cruelty! I'm sold. :)

Susan Foreman 11th October 2015 02:34 PM

Apparently the film has been passed 18 uncut by the BBFC

platostotal 11th October 2015 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr 420 (Post 462875)
Do you work for The Dark Side, P? Read five posts before your own. :tongue1::)

:lol::lol::lol: All I can say is great minds think alike.

Hawkmonger 11th October 2015 06:13 PM

Gonna give this one a miss. Have gravitated away from the cannibal genre recently, added to the fact Eli Roth is a raging blow hard it's a double nope from me.

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th October 2015 04:33 PM

Is there any news on a release date of any kind for this in Blighty?

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 17th October 2015 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 465070)
Is there any news on a release date of any kind for this in Blighty?

The BBFC site has it listed as being due for a home video release on 23rd Jan from Entertainment One.

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th October 2015 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 465074)
The BBFC site has it listed as being due for a home video release on 23rd Jan from Entertainment One.

Thanks B_E. :thankingyou: