Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2010's

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd January 2012, 02:44 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default You're Next (2011)

This is my big hope for 2012. Picked up by Lionsgate, and generating huge buzz at the Toronto International Film Festival's Midnight Madness, You're Next is a home invasion movie directed by Adam Wingard (A Horrible Way To Die).

I think modern Horror always seems to have a bad time with genre fans, but for me, there's generally one or two films every year that come out and more whet my appetite. I particularly enjoy the home invasion sub-genre and have high hopes for this. Jeremy Kay from The Guardian has a nice write up for anyone wanting to learn more.

Anyone else looking forward to this?
Old 20th August 2013, 08:26 AM
Cult Master

You're Next | Cinema Review | Film @ The Digital Fix

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 24th August 2013, 11:23 PM
Cult Rookie

Default You'r Next

Seen this film on Monday night, loved it and judging by the rest of the cinema audience they did too, Starts off a little shaky for the first 10 minutes laying the limited groundwork you know , big house in the middle of nowhere but whoa it kicks off and when it does it is pretty much relentless gore! not really scary but phoaaaar!! it's gory, did i mention it's gory!! and it's funny yeah! it's funny, it's gory and if you like that kinda thing then it's worth a watch ;-)

Yup i liked it 7/10

It's not the greatest "anything" to hit the screens like all films claim to be but it's highly entertaining
Old 25th August 2013, 02:45 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I can't wait to see it midweek, which is the earliest it seems to be playing near me. It's sounding like it's going to be one of those movies that gets a reaction from the audience, similar to The Conjuring. When I went to see the Evil Dead remake, it was pretty lifeless, people got bored, started to act up and it ruins the experience. It's rare in the Cinema these days I see a horror film that will engage the audience, they'll be reactive, and when it occurs it's a great experience.
Old 29th August 2013, 09:55 AM
Seasoned Cultist

It was the closing film at this year's Fantasy Filmfest here in Hamburg and I watched it yesterday and really liked it, it as not perfect though as the director decided to use the shaky camera shit that seems to be so fashionable these days (for a way too long time by now!) - I really do not understand why the camera must shake as hell in a simple dialogue scene, makes no sense at all, just makes me doubt the film in general. I also hate it in action scenes, but at least there, you can make up a sense...

Apart from that, for ma all was done well, not much ado about any introduction, simple plot parts were spread out through the film as need be, good and effective shock moments, fair acting and good and variable killings (gory but mostly too shaky...)

I gave it 9/10 (but I am not so keen on ratings, as I do not see much use in it - so don't read too much into it
Old 29th August 2013, 10:07 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Off to see it at 9:30 tonight after my work shift. Really looking forward to it.
Old 5th September 2013, 03:32 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I unsurprisingly loved this. I was ill when it released so was really annoyed I might miss out, but I finally went to see it and wasn't disappointed, despite the wait. It's kind of the opposite of The Purge, zero original ideas, no unique concept, but really well crafted and executed. It reminded me a little of A Bay Of Blood, strangely.
Old 6th June 2016, 04:20 PM
Cultist

YOU'RE NEXT surprised the hell out of me. I initially ignored it when everyone was talking about it online and the trailers were everywhere. It looked like just another home-invasion-by-people-in-scary-masks movie, and I'm done with those. But then my son and I decided to go see it a couple weeks into its theatrical just because we were bored on a Saturday afternoon . . .

. . . and I loved it. It was the little touches of humor that really impressed me, especially the dialogue between the bickering brothers.

I bought a copy as soon it was released on DVD. I can admit when I'm wrong.
Old 23rd June 2016, 12:24 PM
Cult Rookie

Adam Wingard released another movie last year called The Guest. If you enjoyed You're Next, you'll probably like this one. It's more of a thriller/action movie but it still has the light touches of humor and fun throughout. I think he has another movie in the works but it's slipping my mind as to what it is.

EDIT: It's The Woods--Involve a group of college students on a camping trip who discover they are not alone.

It's going to come out this year. I remember seeing the trailer and it looks...interesting? But most of his films have trailers that are cut to make his stuff look more generic so...
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 23rd June 2016, 12:33 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I was disappointed with 'You're Next'. Over hyped and overrated. But 'The Guest' is something special; it's like John Carpenter directing 'The Terminator'.

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks

Like this? Share it using the links below!