Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2010's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st April 2013, 04:25 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Default The Collection (2012)

The Collection

"The bottom line is that The Collection is a blast; it's pulpy, grotesque and packed with the warped sort of humor we've come to expect from Dunstan/Melton." - Shocktilyoudrop

On DVD Monday 29th April 2013

From the writers of Saw IV, V, VI and 3D comes the thrilling sequel to The Collector that works just as well as a standalone film. Tense, terrifying and packed full of action The Collection will have you on the edge of your seat - or hiding behind it!

Key talent:

Writer/director Marcus Dunstan and writer Patrick Melton (Saw IV-3D; Piranha 3DD), and stars Josh Stewart (The Collector; The Dark Knight Rises; The Walking Dead), Emma Fitzpatrick (The Social Network) and Christopher McDonald (Boardwalk Empire; Requiem for a Dream).

Synopsis:

When Elena (Fitzpatrick) is talked into attending an underground warehouse party with her friends, she finds herself caught in a nightmarish trap where the revelers are mowed, sliced and crushed to death by a macabre series of contraptions operated by a masked psychopath. When the grisly massacre is over, Elena is the only survivor. But before she can escape, she is locked in a trunk and transported to an unknown location.

Fortunately for Elena, one man— Arkin (Stewart) —knows exactly where she’s headed, having just escaped from there with his life and sanity barely intact. Going back is the last thing on Arkin’s mind, but Elena’s wealthy father (McDonald) hires a crack team of mercenaries to force Arkin to lead them to the killer’s lair. But even these hardened warriors are not prepared for what they encounter: an abandoned hotel-turned-torture-chamber, rigged with deadly traps and filled with mangled corpses. Can Arkin and the team get to Elena before she too becomes part of his gruesome “collection”?

You'll Love It Because...

It's like Aliens to The Collector's Alien with a team of badasses hunting down the mysterious serial killer and a helluva lot more nasties to be found in his lair. Full of action and gore this is a thrill-ride of a horror film that kicks into gear quickly and stays at full throttle right until the end!

Hot Quotes:
“An unapologetic celebration of splatter cinema.” - screenrant.com

“A slick, wickedly funny, and brazenly over-the-top sequel that does justice to the budding franchise.” - filmschoolrejects.com

“The production design, cinematography, make-up effects (practical effects here, no CG nonsense) and music are all surprisingly superb.” – JoBlo

“Rarely does a sequel live up to its predecessor, but the director/writing team of Dunstan and Patrick have crafted a well thought out, tense film, more than worthy of 2009’s The Collector.” - 8/10 - Starburstmagazine.com

Special Features:
  • Audio Commentary with Director/Co-Writer Marcus Dunstan and Co-Writer Patrick Melton
  • A Director’s Vision
  • Make Up and Effects of The Collection
  • Production Design
  • Special Effects of The Collection
  • Stunts of The Collection

#ScaryCollection

Old 1st April 2013, 04:29 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Collector was excellent. This will be a must buy.

Probably not right away though.
Old 1st April 2013, 06:34 PM
Cult Addict

I've heard some prity naffy stuff about this, mind you. I did enjoy the original though.

DVD and BD collection
Old 1st April 2013, 07:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I saw this last weekend and thought it was very good. I haven't seen the original. Shame there is no blu-ray, as it would have been a must buy. Instead I will wait and see if the Germans put it out on the HD format.
Old 3rd April 2013, 12:40 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Yeah, I'm pretty gutted there's no Blu-ray release for the UK, especially as some parts of Europe will be getting one. I enjoyed The Collector, but I've heard much better things about this entry, one of the most interesting things to me, is that it's more slasher-like.

Really disappointed no Blu-ray release for this and Lords Of Salem in the UK . Feels like we're going backwards.
Old 3rd April 2013, 10:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

It would be better if there was no DVD release of LoS as well. it's an awful mess.

Like this? Share it using the links below!