Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 2010's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=556)
-   -   So What Remake is Next? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/2010s/10749-so-what-remake-next.html)

nosferatu42 17th May 2016 09:42 AM

Well that looks utterly pointless.:rolleyes:

Frankenhooker 17th May 2016 04:45 PM

Apparently you can add Witchfinder General to the list, Nicholas Winding Refn is supposed to be directing.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 17th May 2016 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankenhooker (Post 490394)
Apparently you can add Witchfinder General to the list, Nicholas Winding Refn is supposed to be directing.

Despite loving the original, that's actually a remake I'd be eager to see.

Frankenhooker 17th May 2016 05:26 PM

At the very least it should be interesting.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 17th May 2016 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankenhooker (Post 490402)
At the very least it should be interesting.

I don't know about interesting, but it will definitely be stylish!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 17th May 2016 06:15 PM

Now this could genuinely be great.

Kevin Smith Turning ‘Buckaroo Banzai’ Into TV Series

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th May 2016 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 490412)
I don't know about interesting, but it will definitely be stylish!

Is stylish something we want though?

How stylish does it get torturing and killing mainly innocent women who know no better. ;)

Refn will probably have Ryan Gosling's witchfinder staring at the horizon for two hours. :pound:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 17th May 2016 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 490417)
Is stylish something we want though?

How stylish does it get torturing and killing mainly innocent women who know no better. ;)

Refn will probably have Ryan Gosling's witchfinder staring at the horizon for two hours. :pound:

Plus slo-mo blouse and corset ripping to a minimalist electro score as torture is being administered from various jaunty camera angles... and plenty of neon mead.

I'm seriously really looking forward to seeing what he does with this one though.

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th May 2016 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 490422)
Plus slo-mo blouse and corset ripping to a minimalist electro score as torture is being administered from various jaunty camera angles... and plenty of neon mead.

I'm seriously really looking forward to seeing what he does with this one though.

Given a choice i would have gone with Ben Wheatley rather than Refn.

Vampix 17th May 2016 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankenhooker (Post 490394)

No thanks - not interested in seeing a remake of this British horror classic. How could you possibly replace Vincent Price as Matthew Hopkins?

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 17th May 2016 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 490424)
Given a choice i would have gone with Ben Wheatley rather than Refn.

That would be another interesting choice. :nod:

Susan Foreman 18th May 2016 08:53 AM

Nicholas Refn is a busy person

Not only has he got 'Witchfinder General' in the pipeline, but he also has this:

Nicolas Winding Refn's 'Maniac Cop' Finds Backers - Bloody Disgusting!

J Harker 18th May 2016 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampix (Post 490425)
No thanks - not interested in seeing a remake of this British horror classic. How could you possibly replace Vincent Price as Matthew Hopkins?

Paradoxically if you like, i reckon this is feasible. Normally Vincent Price would be irreplaceable because...well its Vincent bloody Price. But Witchfinder General is one of the few Price films I've seen where he played an actual role rather than just himself. And as such became less distinctive and therefore easier to replace...if that makes any sense...
...I'll go away now...[emoji5]

Vampix 18th May 2016 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 490481)
Paradoxically if you like, i reckon this is feasible. Normally Vincent Price would be irreplaceable because...well its Vincent bloody Price. But Witchfinder General is one of the few Price films I've seen where he played an actual role rather than just himself. And as such became less distinctive and therefore easier to replace...if that makes any sense...
...I'll go away now...[emoji5]

Who would be as imposing and have the presence of the late, great Vincent Price though? Are there any actors that you could think of that would fill the role, and not have you comparing them to Price as you watch?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 18th May 2016 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampix (Post 490550)
Who would be as imposing and have the presence of the late, great Vincent Price though? Are there any actors that you could think of that would fill the role, and not have you comparing them to Price as you watch?

Viggo Mortensen? Ian McKellen? Clint Eastwood?

J Harker 18th May 2016 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampix (Post 490550)

But i probably wouldn't compare them to the great Vincent Price. Because he plays Matthew Hopkins straight, quite removed from his usual performances. Not to say that he's not very good in Witchfinder General but it lacks his usual Vincent Priceness as seen in Edward Lionheart, Dr.Phibes and the Corman/Poe films.
Now if we were talking about remaking Theatre of Blood I'd laugh at the notion of replacing the sadly late very very great Vincent Price.

J Harker 18th May 2016 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 490558)
Viggo Mortensen? Ian McKellen? Clint Eastwood?

Michael Shannon?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 18th May 2016 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 490589)
Michael Shannon?

He plays an intense bad guy extremely well, so could do the role justice. :nod:

J Harker 18th May 2016 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 490596)
He plays an intense bad guy extremely well, so could do the role justice. :nod:

I've not seen past the first season but his character in Boardwalk Empire made me think of him.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 18th May 2016 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 490599)
I've not seen past the first season but his character in Boardwalk Empire made me think of him.

There are some good performances Revolutionary Road, for which he was Oscar-nominated, My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done?, which is a very disturbing film by Werner Hertzog and David Lynch, and he is also suitably sociopathic as General Zod.

Frankenhooker 18th May 2016 09:52 PM

He's fantastic in 'Bug'.

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th May 2016 09:56 PM

Nicolas Cage is The Witchfinder General.

First promo still.

J Harker 18th May 2016 10:00 PM

That's from Season of the Witch. Excellent film, in which Cage does happen to find a witch.

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th May 2016 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 490613)
That's from Season of the Witch. Excellent film, in which Cage does happen to find a witch.

Ha'ha...rumbled!

I'd cast either Tim Roth or Gabriel Byrne as Hopkins with Ray Stevenson as John Stearne, and because he's big news and a damn fine actor, Tom of Hiddleston in Ogilvy's role of Richard the hero. Oh and Gemma Arterton as Sara.

There you go. Sorted!

J Harker 18th May 2016 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 490616)
Ha'ha...rumbled!

I'd cast either Tim Roth or Gabriel Byrne as Hopkins with Ray Stevenson as John Stearne, and because he's big news and a damn fine actor, Tom of Hiddleston in Ogilvy's role of Richard the hero. Oh and Gemma Arterton as Sara.

There you go. Sorted!

I was actually considering Roth based on his turn in The Hateful Eight.
And I'm glad i was right on SotW, for a second i was thinking your screencap might have been from Outcast. Another medieval swashbuckler he done recently.

trebor8273 19th May 2016 07:12 AM

Second trailer for ghostbusters, Jesus I thought it coudnt get any worse after the last one, it's like Sony have set out to make the worst movie they can

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMfUjDnpfRY

anythinggoes78 19th May 2016 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 490629)
Second trailer for ghostbusters, Jesus I thought it coudnt get any worse after the last one, it's like Sony have set out to make the worst movie they can

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMfUjDnpfRY

I thought this trailer was slightly better than the first, but still looks awful will not be wasting money on this

trebor8273 19th May 2016 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anythinggoes78 (Post 490632)
I thought this trailer was slightly better than the first, but still looks awful will not be wasting money on this

Part of me is intrigued to see it, just to see if it can be as bad as it looks! But I do think that even Sony must know how hated this movie is and that it's going to be flop

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 19th May 2016 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankenhooker (Post 490607)
He's fantastic in 'Bug'.

The entire cast is fantastic in Bug, which is a brilliant film.

gag 19th May 2016 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 490633)
Part of me is intrigued to see it, just to see if it can be as bad as it looks! But I do think that even Sony must know how hated this movie is and that it's going to be flop

Itl be a flop but not as big as a flop as some people think, chances are itl make enough money to possible warrant another, im curious but i wont go cinema or be in a rush to see it, like stated before in original it was like the jokes where effortless and come natural, in this its like their trying to be funny and thats part of why its failing, most people just dont like the fact its a female cast, ok it would have worked better if it was at least half female and half original or they slowly introduced them then made a female cast in another film. Thats the problem with hollywood they dont toy with a new idea they just completely go the full hog and reinvent something new and different to extent they break and damage it, and everybody hates it before it even goes on release and thats bad extremely bad,
If someone invented something and it was a disaster they would learn by their mistakes, listen to the criticism and start again and try fix where they went wrong but in hollywood they dont they just think if it made eg double its money back they think its a hit and just go straight back out and make the same **** up all over again. When will they ever learn.

trebor8273 19th May 2016 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 490638)
Itl be a flop but not as big as a flop as some people think, chances are itl make enough money to possible warrant another, im curious but i wont go cinema or be in a rush to see it, like stated before in original it was like the jokes where effortless and come natural, in this its like their trying to be funny and thats part of why its failing, most people just dont like the fact its a female cast, ok it would have worked better if it was at least half female and half original or they slowly introduced them then made a female cast in another film. Thats the problem with hollywood they dont toy with a new idea they just completely go the full hog and reinvent something new and different to extent they break and damage it, and everybody hates it before it even goes on release and thats bad extremely bad,
If someone invented something and it was a disaster they would learn by their mistakes, listen to the criticism and start again and try fix where they went wrong but in hollywood they dont they just think if it made eg double its money back they think its a hit and just go straight back out and make the same **** up all over again. When will they ever learn.

exactly it all seems to forced, while as you said the originals it all just flowed naturally and the cast had chemistry something that seems to be lacking here, me personally i have no problem with an all female cast, it really should of been a passing of the torch and a different director should of been found he is wrong for this type of film

gag 19th May 2016 12:40 PM

Just seen tim Burton trailer for Alice in wonderland sorry dont fancy it
Films like these the same constant actors and the characters are ott characters (yes the characters are different and wacky but done in the wrong perspective and to bright and colourfull and silly ott at times a kinda ott not in the same sense but like when jim carey goes overboard and it ends up ruining the characters. If that makes sense.

Tim burton good but his remakes etc are god damn awful and terrible
Planet of the apes
Charlie and the chocolate factory
Alice in wonderland
All awful imo keep away from remakes and stick to what he knows best

Q? Without cheating why there never been a sequel to charlie and the chocolate factory?

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th May 2016 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 490673)

Planet of the apes
Alice in wonderland

I enjoyed all three, thank you very much. :nod:

J Harker 19th May 2016 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 490675)
I enjoyed all three, thank you very much. :nod:

Me too. I'm looking forward to Through the Looking Glass myself.

gag 19th May 2016 01:20 PM

I must be the exception thought all 3 where terrible
Oh well I'll shut up :crying: and go away then before you decide i need a thrashing :whip:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 19th May 2016 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 490673)
Just seen tim Burton trailer for Alice in wonderland sorry dont fancy it
Films like these the same constant actors and the characters are ott characters (yes the characters are different and wacky but done in the wrong perspective and to bright and colourfull and silly ott at times a kinda ott not in the same sense but like when jim carey goes overboard and it ends up ruining the characters. If that makes sense.

Planet of the apes
Alice in wonderland

Q? Without cheating why there never been a sequel to charlie and the chocolate factory?

I think you mean Alice Through the Looking Glass, which I think it's quite good though I'll hold judgement until I see it myself. I wasn't overly enamoured with Alice in Wonderland, but it's a really well-designed film with some great performances.

I've yet to see the Planet of the Apes remake, but also liked Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (a film which is faithful to the source material). As far as I know, there isn't a sequel, but would be interested to see him do Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator with the same cast (due to Christopher Lee's person, there would obviously be no flashbacks to Willy Wonka's childhood).

J Harker 19th May 2016 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 490681)
I must be the exception thought all 3 where terrible
Oh well I'll shut up :crying: and go away then before you decide i need a thrashing :whip:

I don't know if you're the exception gag, while i like it, Planet of the Apes isn't generally well regarded.

gag 19th May 2016 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 490684)
I think you mean Alice Through the Looking Glass, which I think it's quite good though I'll hold judgement until I see it myself. I wasn't overly enamoured with Alice in Wonderland, but it's a really well-designed film with some great performances.

I've yet to see the Planet of the Apes remake, but also liked Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (a film which is faithful to the source material). As far as I know, there isn't a sequel, but would be interested to see him do Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator with the same cast (due to Christopher Lee's person, there would obviously be no flashbacks to Willy Wonka's childhood).

Lol yes sorry my mistake.
Reason being why there isnt a sequel to willy wonka is because roald dahl detested the original willy wonka and refused to allow the sequel to be made and as far as im aware his daughter kept his wishes and i might be wrong but im pretty sure he wouldnt allow anymore of his books to turned into films while he was alive.

nosferatu42 19th May 2016 06:25 PM

in regards to Tim Burton Remakes, I actually quite enjoyed Alice.
Charlie was ok, but being brought up with the original version i much prefer that, prefer Gene Wilder over Michael jackson.;)
Planet had good make up and was interesting but i thought the main humans let it down, just bland.
So not the worst remakes, but generally his more personal films are much better.:nod:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 19th May 2016 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 490714)
Lol yes sorry my mistake.
Reason being why there isnt a sequel to willy wonka is because roald dahl detested the original willy wonka and refused to allow the sequel to be made and as far as im aware his daughter kept his wishes and i might be wrong but im pretty sure he wouldnt allow anymore of his books to turned into films while he was alive.

Things must have changed in order for the BFG to be made and released this summer.