Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2010's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree761Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th January 2016, 11:05 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I would argue people haven't lost interest in remakes, reboots and sequels at all, the list you posted proves it! There is a ready made market primed for exploiting, none of these films are aimed at cult audiences but the casual viewers who are most probably in there teens to twenties and used to seeing remakes etc. Hollywood is not stupid when it comes to spending its cash. As for original films there are loads of them from big budget films like Interstellar to the dreck cluttering up supermarket shelves. I am not a believer in a Golden Age of film, there are just periods when films connect better with the audience than others and at the moment loud and brash are popular. It will change as trends and fashions, morals and norms in the wider society change.
Old 5th January 2016, 11:41 PM
Cult Acolyte

Well I wish it would hurry up.
gag and Make Them Die Slowly like this.
Old 6th January 2016, 05:54 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
I would argue people haven't lost interest in remakes, reboots and sequels at all, the list you posted proves it! There is a ready made market primed for exploiting, none of these films are aimed at cult audiences but the casual viewers who are most probably in there teens to twenties and used to seeing remakes etc. Hollywood is not stupid when it comes to spending its cash. As for original films there are loads of them from big budget films like Interstellar to the dreck cluttering up supermarket shelves. I am not a believer in a Golden Age of film, there are just periods when films connect better with the audience than others and at the moment loud and brash are popular. It will change as trends and fashions, morals and norms in the wider society change.
Its like everything in life people will always have a different opinion, no matter what youre debating about wether its films, music, or what holiday resort is better than somewhere else. But each opinion raises some good points for and against etc.
And yes i have harped on about sequels, reboots, superheroes, cgi etc etc but reading between the lines so have over 70/80 % of film fans watchers
Its not so much against these things, its they automatically think if its part of a franchise, got lots of action etc it will sell well, and to some degree it will, but some films are churned out with no thought at all and turn out to be a embarrassments. And just turning it out for the sake of it because they can, Take die hard 5 awful awful awful what on earth where they thinking.?
But certain things sell them self without having to advertise. Eg when new star wars announced it got sold instantly and was always going to be a hit no matter what, just ppl opinion of who going to direct was the next debate and no matter who was going to direct it had a lot of pressure and lot to live upto with fans and critics.
New Quentin tarantino films again always sell themselves without having to advertise or latest film with a certain actor say eg leonardo de caprio.
Now its become a dog eat dog world where they will use every tactic to call the shots eg star wars by pressuring cinema etc, eg where tarantino wanted the first preview of hatefull 8, being pulled because of pressure put on then due to new stars wars film..
There is a hell of a lot good films out there but the problem is unless you read mags or listen to Mark kermode or something along that lines get missed out because other films are getting pushed up front from the media that they are barely getting a mention in. And yes they do it because they can afford to and want to sell the film which is understandable,
But to some degree its also bullying tactics, but thats not quite fair on a small independent film that cant afford to advertise, and have it shoved down youre throat in every possible sense. And lets be fair some films you are sick to death of it before its even released.
And part of what was good in the 70s 80 era etc was films just got advertised mainly for the cinema and then video, because home video was new and fresh, but the fun was going to the video shop and searching for something to watch because most films you never heard, and where straight to video so you took a gamble even if someone said the film was good or bad. Even if you did spend almost a hr in the shop deciding what to watch. But it was more fun and entertaining to do so than it is to sit in front of tv with netflix and spending a hour because practically nothing takes youre fancy or had bad reviews, or you cant decide between which one you want to watch because bob said he enjoyed it. And mick prefer something else.
But in reality my biggest problem is its not so much as harping on about films from the past nostalgia or what we call good old days etc its the fact they relie to much on sequels, reboots, big budgets, cgi, action, over something new and fresh with a good old storyline with atmopshere character building etc like they had to in them days.
And be fair a film collector and fan will take the older films over the new ones, and the newer one they do have in their collection are a lot of the lesser titles and smaller independiamt films than half of the well known films that are being pushed up front by the media..
And you can tell the difference between a film fan and a film watcher because a lot of films in your collection are amongst film fans are classics cult etc but a film watcher couldnt give a shit and never heard of half of youre films and they think are garbage. And then toddle of to watch a film at the pictures that you would never dream of watching like something that will end up on every single film list as worst film of the year and they will harp on about how they enjoyed and didnt agree, and then complain that half of the top ten best films are shit.

Last edited by gag; 6th January 2016 at 02:59 PM.
Old 6th January 2016, 08:38 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
I mean ok Tarantino getting a bit hit and miss reviews with his films, like or dislike at least he putting heart and sole into his films and avoiding all the cliche of sequels remakes etc etc.
Yes i am aware he did 2kill bills but it was one long film split into 2 and inglorious bastards as well with django but he giving his own story of the films and not doing a direct remake as such.
And trying to make something different each time.
Cinema is strange and has, for as long as it's been around, relied on sequels, remakes and numerous tellings of the same stories, both true and fictional. You only need to think of horror and the numerous Frankenstein, Dracula, and werewolf films made by Universal and Hammer in the 1930s-'40s and the 1960s-'70s, respectively to see how the same characters, scenarios, and even lines of dialogue are repeatedly used. Even a story like Cinderella has been made into hundreds of films – both directly and indirectly – since the first in 1899 and the most recent in 2015.

What Tarantino does is different, but still integrates plotlines, pieces of dialogue, music, camera angles and shots from other films to create something new to most audience members who aren't as cine literate as him.

The main difference between now and, for example, the 1930s, is there are more films being made around the world either for cinema, straight to DVD, or straight to TV (sometimes as TV shows), but perhaps not with the same range and directorial freedom afforded to the people behind the cameras. That's probably why studios are more interested in looking for 'products' they can easily market (one trend in the 1980s and '90s was to see what toys came with Happy Meals! and other tie-ins with chain restaurants and other 'sponsors') than an ambitious film which would only find a niche audience.
Old 6th January 2016, 09:02 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I really don't have a problem with sequels. Two of the best action films i've seen in a long time - Fast & Furious 7 and Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation are sequels and not just second or third sequels but seventh and fifth films in each series.

To me it really depends on which films (series) the individual enjoys as to whether a sequel is successful or not. Take the Paranormal Activity films. I don't know how many there are but they seem to get made regularly. I groan to myself each time i see one on release schedules but they clearly have an audience which laps them up. I've not seen any of the films for the record, i groan as i'm not a fan of most modern ghost movies.

I'm truly thankful that someone decided to do a sequel to Dr. No. My film viewing and the movie world in general would be a less interesting place without 007.

Remakes are a different matter. In the horror genre for example they often don't seem necessary as the films being remade hold a place in many genre fans hearts and we think they are untouchable, which, when said remake appears is a case often proved. However some remakes are very successful and in some cases end up a better film than the original. My Bloody Valentine is a good example of this. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Maniac and Hills Have Eyes remakes brought a different slant to the films they were redoing and whilst perhaps not bettering the originals they brought a freshness to them that makes them worthy additions to the horror genre.

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 6th January 2016 at 09:30 AM.
Old 6th January 2016, 09:38 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Great points. Also, in terms of sequels, there are many people who prefer Evil Dead 2 to the first film, The Bride of Frankenstein to the 1931 film, Dawn of the Dead (or even Day of the Dead) to Night of the Living Dead. I could go on, but it would be a huge post!
Old 6th January 2016, 09:55 AM
Cult Master

I don't have a problem with sequels I just don't care for remakes most are rubbish but every now and again a few good ones slip through the shit net and are actually really good Maniac springs to mind straight away.
Old 6th January 2016, 11:16 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
However some remakes are very successful and in some cases end up a better film than the original. My Bloody Valentine is a good example of this.

You take that back this instant!!

As for remakes surpassing the original film there are numerous examples (at least in my opinion) though - Cronenberg's The Fly and Carpenter's The Thing are two that immediately spring to mind.
Old 6th January 2016, 11:25 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post

As for remakes surpassing the original film there are numerous examples (at least in my opinion) though - Cronenberg's The Fly spring to mind.
So just to be clear. You're saying Jeff Goldblum with his cock in a jar is better than this -
Old 6th January 2016, 11:34 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
So just to be clear. You're saying Jeff Goldblum with his cock in a jar is better than this -
Exactly!

Like this? Share it using the links below!