Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 2010's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=556)
-   -   So What Remake is Next? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/2010s/10749-so-what-remake-next.html)

Prince_Vajda 29th November 2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zann (Post 380744)
The remake of LHOTL is great.....what's not great is going to watch a matinee on your own while the missus is shopping, having the cinema completely to yourself (bonus!) only to come out and have one the cinema's employees ask with a mix of incredulity and disgust "did you enjoy that....?" :pound:

I am not kidding this happened.

A similar thing happened to me when I watched Planet Terror. Apart from me, there were only about ten people in the whole cinema.

During every naughty or disgusting scene (e.g. "Looks like we've got a no-brainer." or "Now THAT'S a rump roast."), I roared with laughter, whilst the rest of the audience was dead quiet.

I still don't know if they just misread the signs on the door, but I'm quite sure they originally wanted to watch Epic Movie.

trebor8273 29th November 2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 380755)
A similar thing happened to me when I watched Planet Terror. Apart from me, there were only about ten people in the whole cinema.

During every naughty or disgusting scene (e.g. "Looks like we've got a no-brainer." or "Now THAT'S a rump roast."), I roared with laughter, whilst the rest of the audience was dead quiet.

I still don't know if they just misread the signs on the door, but I'm quite sure they originally wanted to watch Epic Movie.

I had the same sort of thing happen when I went to see the manic remake looks of disgust and horror on people's faces, some walked out mumbling how sick and disgusting the film was, I felt like telling them it's not the :censored: lord or the rings , go and see some shit like twilight which would be more to there liking

gag 30th November 2013 05:54 AM

It's like a girl a work loves Twishite and I always chuckle :lol: when she says to someone I like my horrors, but if I was to mention a good horror she reply all you're films are shit b/w or Japanese subtitled films. Bless her as they say ignorance is bliss .

Robbmeister X 2nd December 2013 09:53 AM

I watched the Carrie remake yesterday, and I'm not kidding, it turns into a superhero movie. I don't want to spoil it, because you'll be amused at how ridiculous it gets, but watch it if you have a monthly cinema pass like I do. You'll have a laugh.

SilverGunnar Hansen 2nd December 2013 11:05 AM

Pretty much agree, some of it borders on Nic Cage Wicker Man naffness hilarity. Still worth a watch - just - for the few things it does differently, but overall pretty underwhelming.

Carrie (2013) Movie Review from Eye for Film

Demoncrat 2nd December 2013 01:45 PM

Having finally seen the trailer for this Carrie, I will PASS. Would rather watch this Oldboy mess.

Cough kidding haha.

Still no sign of Micheal Barf's Zombie Lake I see :laugh:

Robbmeister X 2nd December 2013 05:57 PM

I bet that no-one realised before that Carrie was essentially Supergirl. She can rip up roads and fly and everything. I bet Brian de Palma is kicking himself he never went down this road himself. Plus the new one has a bad-ass look in her eye and still looks pretty covered in blood. :lol:

Susan Foreman 3rd January 2014 10:09 AM

Latest Celebrity Photos | Pictures | Galleries - Starship Troopers!

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd January 2014 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 385463)

:doh:

PaulD 3rd January 2014 11:15 AM

Between this, Robocop and Total Recall they're really kicking the shit out of Verhoeven's filmography aren't they?

Robbmeister X 3rd January 2014 12:26 PM

Starship Troopers? Why? That film has in no way dated, and isn't even that old, relatively speaking. There's absolutely nothing anyone can add to that film, and if they're thinking of a new franchise, the original sequels as I remember weren't good. On the upside, the new version of Robocop looks as if it might be pretty decent, though still pointless, naturally, as was Total Recall, which was notable mainly for the gorgeous Kate Beckinsale, who shall someday be my wife.

About the only remake I've seen in the last five years that's been totally justified was Maniac, which is actually far superior and bloodier than something which was originally not that good a film.

Slippery Jack 3rd January 2014 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 385476)
Between this, Robocop and Total Recall they're really kicking the shit out of Verhoeven's filmography aren't they?

That quote from the man himself in the linked article nails it:

“Yes, they bought the rights, we know that, but I really thought they made a mistake when they did the remake by making it so serious. I’m not so sure [that approach] will work for ['Starship Troopers’] either. I think all of these films are accepted because they don’t take themselves so seriously. There’s a lightness, you believe it, but we also know it’s not true.”

:nod:

Robbmeister X 3rd January 2014 07:31 PM

The other extreme they could go to, of course, is to make the films satirical and ironic, which they happened to be in the first place, if they didn't want to alienate their original fans by solemnifying the tone. One approach is bad, and the other redundant, so it's hard to see the point.

Shaw13 3rd January 2014 11:25 PM

Verhoeven's spot on. They hit the action beats but miss the humour and the lightness. Not everything has to work in a type of post-Nolan-Batman super seriousness.

Susan Foreman 9th January 2014 11:28 PM

How can you improve on an acknowledged classic?

Rosemary's Baby (TV Mini-Series 2014) - IMDb

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 10th January 2014 12:52 AM

Generally you can't, but that doesn't stop certain people from trying.

However, with serials such as Hannibal and Bates' Motel gaining popularity it's inevitable that we will see a lot more of these classic films transformed into TV shows (whether they actually encapsulate the essence of the original films or just borrow on the name and a few key themes is a different matter entirely though ;))

I'm patiently waiting for a TV adaptation of The Wicker Man to surface. Odds are I'll be waiting a while... :p ;)

gag 10th January 2014 01:04 AM

There was a couple films on radio that are remakes but only onei remember was point break.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 10th January 2014 01:06 AM

You can get films on the radio now?! ;)

gag 10th January 2014 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 386588)
You can get films on the radio now?! ;)

Yes its surprising what you can do with technology theses days.

Iggy 15th January 2014 10:48 PM

I Saw The Devil is also considered to be remade... guess they were happy with the result of the Old Boy remake...

digitopolis 17th January 2014 02:16 AM

Are there any updates on the Martyrs remake? Last I heard back in 2010, there was a director attached.

Susan Foreman 17th January 2014 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitopolis (Post 387728)
Are there any updates on the Martyrs remake? Last I heard back in 2010, there was a director attached.

From wikipedia:

Laugier has confirmed in an interview that he is currently in the middle of negotiating the rights for Martyrs to be remade in America. It will be directed by Daniel Stamm, director of The Last Exorcism, and written by Mark L. Smith, writer of Vacancy. The film comes from the producers of Twilight. The producer of the film has said he would like Twilight actress Kristen Stewart for the film, though her presence in the film was later denied by Stamm

Stamm has said "[The original film] is very nihilistic. The American approach [that I'm looking at] would go through all that darkness but then give a glimmer of hope. You don't have to shoot yourself when it's over."

trebor8273 17th January 2014 06:02 PM

Anyone else heard rumours of gremlins, rumours I have heard are either a sequel or a remake.

Susan Foreman 18th January 2014 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 387875)
Anyone else heard rumours of gremlins, rumours I have heard are either a sequel or a remake.

Gremlins remake 'moving ahead', with Seth Grahame-Smith attached to produce | Metro News

Susan Foreman 5th March 2014 11:22 PM

Dear Goddess, no!!!!!

Spielberg to remake West Side Story? | News | Film @ The Digital Fix

Vampix 6th March 2014 01:56 PM

I'm surprised there's been no talk of a Re-Animator remake, unless I just haven't heard about it.

Rik 6th March 2014 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampix (Post 395371)
I'm surprised there's been no talk of a Re-Animator remake, unless I just haven't heard about it.

Shhhh, don't give them any ideas! :eek:

gag 6th March 2014 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampix (Post 395371)

Let's face it with the amount of films that have been remade over the years I honestly don't think any films safe anymore ..

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th March 2014 04:10 PM

Due to the fact i loved the remakes of 3:10 To Yuma and True Grit i would like a few more westerns to get a makeover.

Not classics such as The Wild Bunch, The Searchers or Eastwood's films but the lesser known ones.

Susan Foreman 2nd April 2014 10:13 AM

'Dr Phibes'...

...In 3D...

...With Willem Dafoe as the title character!

“Dr. Phibes” Optioned for Reboot | FANGORIA®

trebor8273 2nd April 2014 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 398747)
'Dr Phibes'...

...In 3D...

a small part of me just died.

applecore 2nd April 2014 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 398747)
'Dr Phibes'...

...In 3D...

http://i.imgur.com/M4vuO.gif

Bringer Of Funerals 2nd April 2014 11:30 AM

I wouldn't like the Eastwood spaghetti westerns to get a remake.

I heard Stephen King's It is going to get a remake, but I don't know if it's just rumors

trebor8273 2nd April 2014 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bringer Of Funerals (Post 398750)
I wouldn't like the Eastwood spaghetti westerns to get a remake.

I heard Stephen King's It is going to get a remake, but I don't know if it's just rumors

think it's been rumoured for years now, that i would like to see as mini series was different than the book, but it could only work as a mini series but longer than the last one

gag 2nd April 2014 08:01 PM

Cant exactly see this being any good

Stage Fright - Movie Trailers - iTunes

trebor8273 2nd April 2014 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 398818)

Lost complete interest and the will to live at the word Glee!

Stephen@Cult Labs 2nd April 2014 08:12 PM

So What Remake is Next?

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 398818)

Hate to burst everyone's bubble, but this isn't a remake of the Michele Soavi film. It's an original story and there's never been any mention of it being connected in any way to that film. It was actually inspired by the directors short film, The Legend Of Beaver Dam.

trebor8273 2nd April 2014 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 398822)
Hate to burst everyone's bubble, but this isn't a remake of the Michele Soavi film. It's an original story and there's never been any mention of it being connected in any way to that film.

Got that when I read the link. Might of given it a chance if it had been a remake but as soon as I read glee that was it for me.

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd April 2014 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 398748)
a small part of me just died.

A large part of me just started laughing as i don't like the Phibes films anyway. :lol:

Rik 2nd April 2014 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 398829)
A large part of me just started laughing as i don't like the Phibes films anyway. :lol:

Ha ha, me neither :lol: