Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2010's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree761Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th January 2015, 09:49 PM
Active Cultist

Send a message via Skype™ to Invid Ninja

Point Break is one of the very best action films of the 90's I feel; because I'm weird and have a strange obsession with modern action remakes I will take the bullet on this 2015 iteration. XD
keirarts likes this.

Cold Iron (R.O.T.O.R, 1987)
Old 29th January 2015, 10:09 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invid Ninja View Post
Point Break is one of the very best action films of the 90's I feel; because I'm weird and have a strange obsession with modern action remakes I will take the bullet on this 2015 iteration. XD
The original had Swayze at his peak fame and Reeves at one of his peaks.

There's only Winstone that i've heard of and he's no guarantee it'll be any good.
keirarts likes this.
Old 30th January 2015, 04:45 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
All them in my Opinion

Planet of the apes ..Terrible

Alice in Wonderland not very good but watchable.

Willie wonka and the choclate factory ..

sweeney todd would have been ok if pratically every word wasnt sung.
To be honest, I haven't seen the Planet of the Apes remake, don't really consider Alice in Wonderland to be a remake – it's more of a new adaptation of the source material, seen with Sweeney Todd, which is an adaptation of a stage play rather than a remake (I thought it was excellent).

Is this new Ghostbusters film a remake or the completely new film? Either way, I think it's a terrible idea.
Old 30th January 2015, 06:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
To be honest, I haven't seen the Planet of the Apes remake, don't really consider Alice in Wonderland to be a remake – it's more of a new adaptation of the source material, seen with Sweeney Todd, which is an adaptation of a stage play rather than a remake (I thought it was excellent).

Is this new Ghostbusters film a remake or the completely new film? Either way, I think it's a terrible idea.
In Empire, Paul Feig says it's a remake as he felt a sequel would be disrespectful.

Now, I'm not sure whether he meant that he wants to create a new timeline with new characters so that fans of the original don't feel robbed or that he is that type of Hollywood scumbag who tries to disguise remakes as something original.
Old 30th January 2015, 06:47 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlayne View Post
In Empire, Paul Feig says it's a remake as he felt a sequel would be disrespectful.

Now, I'm not sure whether he meant that he wants to create a new timeline with new characters so that fans of the original don't feel robbed or that he is that type of Hollywood scumbag who tries to disguise remakes as something original.
I know Bill Murray and Dan Akroyd have both 'given their blessing' to the project, but with Paul Feig directing and two known actors (but SNL stalwarts) amongst the main cast, not to mention the original film being a beloved film amongst many, I will take a lot of convincing about whether it's worth my time.
Old 30th January 2015, 06:52 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

With a different (better) all female cast this could have been something to look forward to.

As an example four actresses who can all do quirky - Tina Fey, Cameron Diaz, Mira Sorvino and Alfre Woodard.

Then i would have been interested.
Old 30th January 2015, 06:52 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
I know Bill Murray and Dan Akroyd have both 'given their blessing' to the project, but with Paul Feig directing and two known actors (but SNL stalwarts) amongst the main cast, not to mention the original film being a beloved film amongst many, I will take a lot of convincing about whether it's worth my time.
I wasn't even interested when Paul Rudd and Seth Rogan were going to do it.

But, to be honest, Feig's "let's make them all female" does sound gimmicky. I find him to be a rather bland filmmaker that covers his deficiencies by employing female comedians as "look, I'm progressive!"
Old 30th January 2015, 07:10 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
With a different (better) all female cast this could have been something to look forward to.

As an example four actresses who can all do quirky - Tina Fey, Cameron Diaz, Mira Sorvino and Alfre Woodard.

Then i would have been interested.
Good point. I suppose other naturally comedic actresses like Mila Kunis, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Emma stone or even Jennifer Lawrence would elevate the project.

Quote:
I wasn't even interested when Paul Rudd and Seth Rogan were going to do it.

But, to be honest, Feig's "let's make them all female" does sound gimmicky. I find him to be a rather bland filmmaker that covers his deficiencies by employing female comedians as "look, I'm progressive!"
I completely agree. Bridesmaids was basically a female version of The Hangover, albeit one which wasn't completely offensive.
Old 30th January 2015, 07:17 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Good point. I suppose other naturally comedic actresses like Mila Kunis, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Emma stone or even Jennifer Lawrence would elevate the project.

I completely agree. Bridesmaids was basically a female version of The Hangover, albeit one which wasn't completely offensive.
I hated both Bridesmaids and The Hangover with a passion. Just a bunch of morons screaming and getting drunk.

I was able to tolerate The Heat simply because Sandra Bullock is a good comic actress. As for Melissa McCarthy... I do not get her appeal. Even in The Gilmore Girls (yes, I admit it - I watched it and I laughed) she was deeply grating.
Old 30th January 2015, 07:21 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I hated both Bridesmaids and The Hangover with a passion. Just a bunch of morons screaming and getting drunk.

I was able to tolerate The Heat simply because Sandra Bullock is a good comic actress. As for Melissa McCarthy... I do not get her appeal. Even in The Gilmore Girls (yes, I admit it - I watched it and I laughed) she was deeply grating.
I forgot to mention Sandra Bullock, who is really good in comedic roles (Miss Congeniality, for example). As for Melissa McCarthy, give me Rebel Wilson, who was brilliant in Pitch Perfect – Anna Kendrick also has great comedic timing.
MacBlayne likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!