Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2010's

Like Tree761Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th March 2016, 11:33 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
If a really creative film-maker gets Suspiria it could be good, but it probably wont be and it'll be crap.

I'm dreading the day when the live-action Akira re-make is greenlit, it looks like that's never going to happen though as it's been on the cards for about 10 years now at least.

Are Hollywood writers really that short of ideas now that they can only make films that have been made before?
Some obscure (i know, i know) subtitled, seventies Italian film is possibly a better choice for a remake for the key 16 - 25 year old demographic US market than the typical choices.
keirarts likes this.
Old 4th March 2016, 11:42 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
If a really creative film-maker gets Suspiria it could be good, but it probably wont be and it'll be crap.

I'm dreading the day when the live-action Akira re-make is greenlit, it looks like that's never going to happen though as it's been on the cards for about 10 years now at least.

Are Hollywood writers really that short of ideas now that they can only make films that have been made before?
Looks like it, its not that remakes sequels or reboots are a bad thing. Its just the fact that is the biggest % of films nowadays and thats where the problem lies.
If we wernt constant bombarded with then, then it wouldnt be so bad
keirarts likes this.
Old 4th March 2016, 11:44 AM
Cult Veteran

I can understand their train of thought, it being so highly revered among genre fans that they are (perhaps mistakenly) seeing dollar signs. I think they're missing the mark because people who know the original are unlikely to endorse this and the younger kids probably don't care haha.
keirarts likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 4th March 2016, 12:06 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

A lot of films are endorsed by names nowadays though. Stick a well known star in any old tat and people will go and see it in their droves.

Most younger audiences won't even know that the new Suspiria film is a remake (I mean how many modern cinema audiences nowadays are into Argento and his films let alone heard of him) and go and see it on trailers/hype alone - and even if they do know, I doubt whether they'll care.

These kind of films must make the studios money otherwise they wouldn't keep churning them out. I guess it makes sense from their point of view as they don't need to come up with any original ideas or a story as that's already been done for them. They can also piggy-back off the notoriety of the original for the people who've heard of it. They just need to decide how to gloss it up and work their set-pieces, what audience they intend to target and how to market it in terms of their cast and they can move on to their next project as they bank the money. Hell, given a good director, script-editor, cinematographer and score it may even be pretty good.
Old 4th March 2016, 12:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The thing that puzzles me most tho is how many reboots remakes sequels do they make and complain its lost money and barely made even, only to go on and make another one.
Old 4th March 2016, 01:01 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
A lot of films are endorsed by names nowadays though. Stick a well known star in any old tat and people will go and see it in their droves.

Most younger audiences won't even know that the new Suspiria film is a remake (I mean how many modern cinema audiences nowadays are into Argento and his films let alone heard of him) and go and see it on trailers/hype alone - and even if they do know, I doubt whether they'll care.

These kind of films must make the studios money otherwise they wouldn't keep churning them out. I guess it makes sense from their point of view as they don't need to come up with any original ideas or a story as that's already been done for them. They can also piggy-back off the notoriety of the original for the people who've heard of it. They just need to decide how to gloss it up and work their set-pieces, what audience they intend to target and how to market it in terms of their cast and they can move on to their next project as they bank the money. Hell, given a good director, script-editor, cinematographer and score it may even be pretty good.
Plus of course people who have seen the original will talk about it as we are now. In fact if it were on a shelf this afternoon at a fiver i'd pick it up to see what it was like as i'm sure a few of us would. Now, had the OP been about The Forest for example, i doubt there would have been any chat at all.

Remakes no matter how dodgy often create a buzz at least until we know how poor the film is.
Old 4th March 2016, 01:14 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Plus of course people who have seen the original will talk about it as we are now. In fact if it were on a shelf this afternoon at a fiver i'd pick it up to see what it was like as i'm sure a few of us would. Now, had the OP been about The Forest for example, i doubt there would have been any chat at all.

Remakes no matter how dodgy often create a buzz at least until we know how poor the film is.

And therein lies the paradox. We don't want remakes of Suspiria or Ghostbusters for that matter, but as long as there are people who'd pay to see them, just even out of curiosity, they think people want them, so they'll churn out more and more, and sequels to them too. YOU'RE to blame for these films mate!
Old 4th March 2016, 01:25 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
And therein lies the paradox. We don't want remakes of Suspiria or Ghostbusters for that matter, but as long as there are people who'd pay to see them, just even out of curiosity, they think people want them, so they'll churn out more and more, and sequels to them too. YOU'RE to blame for these films mate!

You can perhaps blame me for supermarket shelves being full of hopeless, low budget horror tat with enticing cover art, but not for remakes.

I just won't have it!
Old 4th March 2016, 01:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Nor me either, last film i went pics to see was raid 2.
It has to be a film i REALY want to see.
I watch them on netflix, sky, friends, or wherever but not the cinema thats for sure. And has to be extra special for me to pay full price on dvd, bluray (would if could afford) stick to buying them later cheaper of ppl, amazon, ebay or from sites like these, hence i can buy more that way, i cant afford to pay full price i have a shit job thats zero hrs and if when required, struggling to find full time employment hence why friend and me going into business
keirarts likes this.
Old 4th March 2016, 05:07 PM
Cult Master

Can't help thinking this is a bad move!

‘Death Wish’ Revamp With Bruce Willis
keirarts likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Like this? Share it using the links below!