Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2010's

Like Tree55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd April 2017, 01:12 PM
Cult Rookie

My favourite remake is Thirteen Ghosts ( brilliant film and love the back stories of the ghosts on special features)

Worst remake is Nightmare on Elm Street- awful film and Freddy looked like a video game character.

I'd love to see a remake of the tv movie The Haunted ( 1991). I found this film so creepy. Anyone else seen this, if so what did you think?
keirarts and bleakshaun like this.
Old 15th April 2017, 10:16 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-7 View Post
Worst remake is Nightmare on Elm Street- awful film and Freddy looked like a video game character.
I didn't like the film at all, but I thought there were some fun ideas in the Elm St remake. If I'd cared about the humans in any way, shape or form, it might've been more fun. Thought Jackie Earle Haley was fantastic, especially as human Freddy. Can see where you're coming from though.

Best: Not sure if this counts, but RZ's Halloween 2. Absolutely floored by the director's cut of that. The brutality of it all and the way Laurie is completely torn apart by the events of the first film really hit me hard in a way I wasn't expecting. It was a slasher movie with proper consequences to the violence. The scene where Brad Dourif finds his daughter is heartbreaking stuff. It's not perfect and it's very different from where the series started, so I can see how it'd rub people the wrong way, but the way it takes the standard slasher formula and destroys it by making the deaths genuinely quite upsetting and the violence really mean something makes it one of my favourite modern horrors.

Worst: I really didn't like the TCM remake when it came out, but I might give it another chance since so many people seem to be OK with it. Maybe I went at it with the wrong attitude. I got one, though. Not quite a remake, again, but I accidentally bought the wrong version of Night of the Living Dead on VHS as a kid. I'd seen the film for the first time on TV and it slayed me. It was amazing. And then I bought that crappy 25th anniversary version or whatever it was, where one of the original producers had shot new material and inserted it into the film. Appalling.

Most wanted: How about a found footage Candyman? Found footage is a bit hit and miss, but the scenario - researcher looking into an urban myth - lends itself well to it. I wouldn't be into a straight remake of it in the normal style as I don't think the original can be topped at all, but I'd be curious to see this.
Old 3rd May 2017, 04:03 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-7 View Post
My favourite remake is Thirteen Ghosts ( brilliant film and love the back stories of the ghosts on special features)

I'd love to see a remake of the tv movie The Haunted ( 1991). I found this film so creepy. Anyone else seen this, if so what did you think?
The Haunting was a good TV movie be good to see it part of The Conjuring movies.

Worst remake was A Nightmare on Elm Street, was OK they added in a bit of the back story to Krueger but there is only one Krueger and that's Robert Englund.

Best remake for me was The Hills Have Eyes,
Old 12th May 2017, 04:20 PM
Ex-member

Fav def would be The Thing(1982) Across the board, enjoyed every second of it.
Worst def goes to Nightmare on Elm Street(2010) Don't even want to go into detail on this massive turd.
Most wanted has to be The Burning - Have this one with fleshed characters, lots of T & A, and brutal kills(underground style) I'd stick with Cropsey's look though. Hell even The Prowler would be a hell of a pick here.
dis, nosferatu42 and MrBarlow like this.
Old 12th May 2017, 05:41 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The Thing ’82 is one of my favourite horror films, but I’ve never considered it a remake as it’s another adaptation of the novella Who Goes There?, which The Thing from Another World is also based upon.

Favourite: The Fly

Worst: The Fog

Most wanted: Well more of a wanted reboot really, as I would like to see Resident Evil actually done right with a faithful adaptation based on the early games. I'd love to see the Resident Evil 2 story on the big screen.

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 13th May 2017, 01:47 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinematic Shocks View Post
Most wanted: Well more of a wanted reboot really, as I would like to see Resident Evil actually done right with a faithful adaptation based on the early games. I'd love to see the Resident Evil 2 story on the big screen.
I'd be well up for a Resident Evil 2 movie. The film series as it stands just seems to bear no relation to the tone of the games. It has the insanity down, granted, but the atmosphere just isn't there. (I've only seen 2 and a bit of the films, though.) I wouldn't be fussed about it sticking to the story - I hardly remember what it is anyway - but the tone, definitely. If they just get a decent script and have a police station, Racoon City and the two leads hammering on zombies, I'd be happy. They could have Leon and Claire teaming up - save the dull one-person-wandering-about scenes that plague these kinds of films - and give it a bit of a David Ayer vibe for their relationship. Oh, and they need to shotgun a zombie in half and have it still keep coming! That's the high watermark of Resident Evil moments for me, simpleton that I am.
Old 13th May 2017, 10:54 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

The Thing and The Fly obviously and i really like the remake of Maniac.
Old 14th May 2017, 09:38 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Although I think the original Maniac is very good, I consider the remake to be the better film.
6566329 and MrBarlow like this.

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks

Like this? Share it using the links below!