Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2010's

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th June 2010, 07:35 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default Evil Dead (2013) Remake

hi all,i have read that sam raimi is either going to make a part4 or do a remake of the original!has anybody got any light to shed?im a big fan of the original but think after this it went a bit silly/down hill.liked part 2 but nothing special.and as for army of darkness/medievil dead i aint even seen it!should i?think if it is remade it will be full of cgi and with the way films are going it wil probalby be in 3d?out of interest has anybody seen the actual original/promo screener "within the woods"?
Old 13th June 2010, 09:48 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Lets hope they never remake The Evil Dead! And you should see Army of Darkness.It's more of a Ray Harryhausen film done by Sam Raimi with his (and bruce Campbell's) style of slapstick comedy thrown into the mix.I'm still hoping that one day an Evil Dead dvd (or blu-ray) will include Within The Woods.I'm not holding my breath though.
Old 14th June 2010, 07:47 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

An "Evil Dead" remake has been on the horizon every now and then over the last 10 years, only to disappear from the radar whenever things seem to get more serious.
While it's one of the very few defining horror classics from the 80's still lacking a "redux", I have a feeling that this one might not happen after all- because the "remake wave"- as well as the "strong horror boom" in the mainstream- is slowly but surely going down; it might not seem like that right now with a new title arriving every other week, but I don't think we'll see many more projects being announced, with not even all of the already mentioned potential "remakes" actually getting made after all, like the sometimes proposed "Silent Night, Deadly Night" redux.
We're right now at the highest mark of the "horror remake tide"- it can and will only go down from here imho, with the disappointing/mediocre box-office of many of the recent upgrades and "strong horror" entries only proving my point.

Personally, I wouldn't be so much against an "Evil Dead" remake, BUT I can only really see this work if they get a wild Japanese filmmaker like Miike and give him the needed artistic freedom to cut loose.
Old 14th June 2010, 10:59 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dis View Post
hi all,i have read that sam raimi is either going to make a part4 or do a remake of the original!has anybody got any light to shed?im a big fan of the original but think after this it went a bit silly/down hill.liked part 2 but nothing special.and as for army of darkness/medievil dead i aint even seen it!should i?think if it is remade it will be full of cgi and with the way films are going it wil probalby be in 3d?out of interest has anybody seen the actual original/promo screener "within the woods"?
I have read this post about three times now so think I have got the gist of what you are asking.

Firstly, I don't have any light to shed on either a remake of the brilliant film that is The Evil Dead. I don't think there is an official announcement about a fourth instalment either.

Secondly, I really like Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn and, if you watch it for what it is: a horror film crossed with Loony Tunes/The Three Stooges knockabout comedy, then it is a riot and one of the finest horror/comedy films ever made.

Thirdly, you should definitely watch Army of Darkness as it is a film that is an absolute mess but holds up purely because of Bruce Campbell!

Finally, I haven't seen that promotional screen you mentioned, so can't comment.

I don't mean this to sound harsh or demeaning in any way, but could you pay a little more attention to how you write and include line breaks and spaces between sentences? Your posts can be a little difficult to read, that's all. Just make sure you don't lose the passion!
Old 14th June 2010, 04:16 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dis View Post
out of interest has anybody seen the actual original/promo screener "within the woods"?
I got a DVD-R of the Dawn of the Dead Monroeville Mall tour on eBay a few years back and Within The Woods was one of the extras on the disc.

It's very bad quality picture-wise but quite an enjoyable watch. As far as I remember Bruce and Ellen Sandweiss are the only Evil Dead actors in it.
Old 14th June 2010, 04:46 PM
Seasoned Cultist

sorry!thought it read o.k.
Old 14th June 2010, 07:33 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

It is fine as long as you use the space bar in between sentences! Without the odd space after each sentence (and maybe a line break here and there) prose can get a little difficult to read!
Old 15th June 2010, 11:40 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Neal View Post
An "Evil Dead" remake has been on the horizon every now and then over the last 10 years, only to disappear from the radar whenever things seem to get more serious.
While it's one of the very few defining horror classics from the 80's still lacking a "redux", I have a feeling that this one might not happen after all- because the "remake wave"- as well as the "strong horror boom" in the mainstream- is slowly but surely going down; it might not seem like that right now with a new title arriving every other week, but I don't think we'll see many more projects being announced, with not even all of the already mentioned potential "remakes" actually getting made after all, like the sometimes proposed "Silent Night, Deadly Night" redux.
We're right now at the highest mark of the "horror remake tide"- it can and will only go down from here imho, with the disappointing/mediocre box-office of many of the recent upgrades and "strong horror" entries only proving my point.

Personally, I wouldn't be so much against an "Evil Dead" remake, BUT I can only really see this work if they get a wild Japanese filmmaker like Miike and give him the needed artistic freedom to cut loose.
I agree with what you say. Miike would be a great director to have a stab at the project. Ever since I heard rumblings of a possible remake I've hoped that it was done as a straightforward nasty horror movie - none of the humour that came into it from Evil Dead 2. I remember the first time that I saw a still of the possessed girl in the cellar, black blood issuing from her mouth and those white eye contacts. Grisly. Many forget how scary the first actually was, and I sympathise with those that question how it ever could have been, but it was unsettling back in 1983.

For a remake I'd want it to be worthy of Stephen King's quote in that it has to be as nasty as possible and go back to what is scary about possessed people - something no-one appears to be able to get right. Look at Haunting in Conneticut for example.

There is absolutely no point in remaking Evil Dead as a horror comedy but I fear that is what would happen if the movie got a greenlight.

As for an Evil Dead 4, I doubt it will happen whilst Burn Notice continues it's popular run.
Old 15th June 2010, 05:23 PM
Seasoned Cultist

would people want this remade? i think it may spoil the cult status of the original? ground breaking film for the early 80s and on a shoestring budget. think we will have to wait and see,but i think someone will remake it over the next 3 years? and possibly ruin it! does the evil dead remake deserve a poll?
Old 15th June 2010, 05:37 PM
Cult Rookie

The remake and Evil Dead IV will never happen. Personally, I think any remake talk has just been a ruse on Raimi's part to stall other producers/filmmakers from approaching him with the same idea.

Let the trilogy lie.

Like this? Share it using the links below!