Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2010's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th December 2013, 10:33 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Is it any different to identifying with action heroes as they blast away faceless bad guys?
One is asking you to fantasize about being 'the hero', and triumph over 'the bad guys'.
The other is asking you to fantasize about raping/torturing/murdering a defenceless person - usually a hot girl. So yes, different to me - not that I'm an action fan.
Just my opinion, and I can see that I'm in the minority, which is cool.
Old 21st December 2013, 10:32 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Ah-ha! So.... Big Bad Boo watched the rest...and I have to say that in an odd way I enjoyed it!! (Where's Dem...??)

Right on with the synopsis for those of you who'll never buy it but wants to know how it evolves. We got up to the gizzard wanking as I recall. Did I mention they also slipped a grenade into the poor girl to test her pubic floor muscles? Anyway.... After this we get a bit of back story in a rant of how these two charming gents, Michael Washburn and Antwan Mercer, met up in Vietnam. These rants appear periodically and we find out that Mike and Twan were separated from their unit in 'Nam. Lost in the jungle they would capture women and torture and rape them. After a while they realized they weren't lost at all......they just enjoyed what they're doing.

Back in the world, man, they couldn't adjust, no jobs,man, people spitting at them, calling them murderers...(Well..yes! Duhh!) Twan, the older bloke who looks like the Uncle from Only Fools and Horses, ended up in jail for a while and Mike hooked up with Rose and married her. We meet Rose who seems okay, moaning that Mike should get off his ass and get a job. Mike has her around his little finger though and soon she is fantasizing about a young female student she see's at work. Twan and Mike kidnap her and start the rape and abuse immediately.

Rose walks in and demands to know what is going on. She comforts the girl before repeatedly stabbing her in the face until it is a mess of gore. Rose knows how to party too! She chides them both like little kids for getting someone close to them. Careless fools!

It cuts from one scene to the next suddenly, there is very little continuity, like the home movies of serial killers......I guess...? We're treated to lots of abusive language and most of the violence is done off screen or obscured by a scratchy bit of tape. Some, like the wanking in entrails, is graphically explicit and leaves nothing to the imagination and because you see so much of that you believe you actually see more than the film shows you later on. In that respect I thought it was very clever, rather than going the really fake fx route and reducing the impact. Bob Glazer, the chap who plays Twan, is fearless and the better of the two main roles but Jules Sceiro who plays Mike grows on you as he gets more comfortable in the role.

So the intrepid duo go back out and pick up a prozzie for 4 hours. After servicing them, yep, you guessed it, bonk on the head, vile abuse to ensue including making her drink a laxative then making her drink what comes out! Are you still reading this, you sick puppy, you! So they abuse her till Twan thinks she might be dead. He likes that. No resistance. On his own he starts to face rape her but...(You knew this, didn't you?) she bites off his manhood and ties and gags him to a chair. Oh yeah, you my bitch now, mother lover!! I defy you not to wince when she stiletto's his ball sack!

Mike comes home to see Twan in the chair and gets a bonk on the head too. I think she hated Mike a bit more as he gets anal raped with the shotgun (Double barrelled, mind you, plus the sight!!) before she pulls the trigger. Blamo!
At the beginning of the film we are met with, "This documentary you are about to see is the video diary of two of the most notorious serial killers in the annuls of American history, blah, de blah, blah. The end also has a blurb but I won't spoil it for you, all I say is I can smell a sequel.....

Enjoyed it? Dunno. Liked it? Think so. It's so much better than I thought it would be so in that respect I applaud it. It's no August Underground and that's a good thing. It's it's own beast and works on many different levels. It is vile, make no mistake, you're not going to settle down with the missus to watch it, that's for sure. I gotta say kudoo's to them, they made a raw, uncompromising, in your face film for a budget of $1000.00 and got all those girls to allow them to abuse them on film! I take my hat off!

Earlier, someone said that they couldn't understand why these type of films were made and that there was an audience hungrily waiting for it. I have a theory that's as good as any. Fred Vogal once said that August Underground was a rebuttal to all the generic Hollywood sequels and safe pg horror films. They were fed up of not being scared by the shite the main studios were putting out. I think we are there again with all the placid, instantly forgettable re-makes and safe horror films that we are bombarded with. Dunno about you but when I want to watch a horror film I want to be scared, disturbed, want to sleep with the light on, not bored to tears by some door opening half an inch an hour on cctv footage. Woooo! Scarey! Not!
Therefore if you are one of those people who is fed up but actually decides that they're going to do something about it, rather than just moan and bitch about how bad it is, then you have to do something that makes your product stand out from the rest. So you go with the most extreme violence you can. remember back in the day, LHOTL was vilified as the most brutal, violent film ever made. Didn't do Wes too much harm, did it?
Then when people have the product and watch it and perhaps see a mediocum of talent, they get recognition and are able to carry on.
The audience are hungry for it because they too are fed up of watching the same old shite regurgitated by the studios, they want to be scared by a film too.

It's different strokes for different folks and you either like this sort of stuff in the first place, or you don't. This film definitely won't make you change your mind over that. If, however you do like this stuff.....Recommended!!
Old 21st December 2013, 10:50 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I'm going to have fun with the above post tomorrow.
Old 21st December 2013, 10:52 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I'm going to have fun with the above post tomorrow.
Pervert.
Old 21st December 2013, 10:52 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Pervert.
He sure will seem that way.
Old 21st December 2013, 11:01 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
He sure will seem that way.
Nicely side stepped, Dem.

@Boo, is there a commentary track or making of on the DVD? I'm intrigued to find out what, er, motivates a person to have sex with intestines before and during the performance. I'm sure Lee Strasberg would be proud!
Old 21st December 2013, 11:22 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Nicely side stepped, Dem.

@Boo, is there a commentary track or making of on the DVD? I'm intrigued to find out what, er, motivates a person to have sex with intestines before and during the performance. I'm sure Lee Strasberg would be proud!
No unfortunately, there is a couple of deleted/extended scenes that add/takeaway nothing, and a trailer.

You know I had a feeling when I watched it that it wasn't scripted and the guy started to do it off his own bat. Dunno why I got that feeling and I'm most likely totally wrong!

That Dem hates me!!
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 22nd December 2013, 08:20 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post

That Dem hates me!!
From past experience with Dem, this is how he shows affection...or he is grooming you!!
mr 420 and Hawkmonger like this.

Last edited by Make Them Die Slowly; 22nd December 2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 22nd December 2013, 03:53 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
From past experience with Dem, this is how he shows affection...or he his grooming you!!
That made me laugh.
Old 23rd December 2013, 01:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

When people start aspiring to "be" Fred Vogel, then that's me out.

But then I did try and pleasure myself during Srpski........

cough

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!