Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2010's

Like Tree69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd December 2013, 01:59 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

That Fred Vogel quote that "August Underground was a rebuttal to all the generic Hollywood sequels and safe pg horror films. They were fed up of not being scared by the shite the main studios were putting out" is such rubbish. He's just a talentless
attention seeker. If he really wanted to stick two fingers up at the Hollywood system he could have just made a good f--king film.
Old 23rd December 2013, 03:54 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
That Fred Vogel quote that "August Underground was a rebuttal to all the generic Hollywood sequels and safe pg horror films. They were fed up of not being scared by the shite the main studios were putting out" is such rubbish. He's just a talentless
attention seeker. If he really wanted to stick two fingers up at the Hollywood system he could have just made a good f--king film.
I agree with what you say....up to a point! Fred maybe " a talentless attention seeker" BUT he got the attention and carried on to make 7 more films! That's 7 more than I've made and although very many people think that his output is rubbish (I'm not a fan, btw!!) there are obviously enough people out there that disagree with us -as his sales indicate otherwise.
One mans "good f--king film" is another mans dross. As AU proves...
Old 23rd December 2013, 06:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

It just sounds sick and disgusting with no artistic merit at all, something I have no intention of ever seeng. What type of person would get enjoyment from this, there are some sick bastards out there
gag likes this.
Old 23rd December 2013, 07:42 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
It just sounds sick and disgusting with no artistic merit at all, something I have no intention of ever seeng. What type of person would get enjoyment from this, there are some sick bastards out there
Let me ask a question, what kind of sick bastard makes moral judgements on other people without ever having seen the work in question or knowing the people who have or wish to watch the film? This is the language of book burners, censors and other moral guardians.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg download.jpg (4.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 23rd December 2013, 08:00 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
From not giving a monkeys about this film, suddenly this post makes me want to see it and all the AU stuff.

It's like reading the Daily Mail.
Old 23rd December 2013, 08:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Let me ask a question, what kind of sick bastard makes moral judgements on other people without ever having seen the work in question or knowing the people who have or wish to watch the film? This is the language of book burners, censors and other moral guardians.
I was probably harsh in my post, shouldn't really judge it till ive seen it, sounds like it would make me very uneasy and sick, but without seeing it I can't say, and I might like it. Sorry if I offended you.
Old 23rd December 2013, 09:09 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
I was probably harsh in my post, shouldn't really judge it till ive seen it, sounds like it would make me very uneasy and sick, but without seeing it I can't say, and I might like it. Sorry if I offended you.
No offence taken, it is a difficult subject and leaves little room for sitting on the fence. It's good that people have opposing opinions on subjects otherwise we would have little dialogue on here.
Old 23rd December 2013, 09:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

No matter what anyone says its something that I don't intend to watch even out off curiosity, like I said what happened to good old value horror where it's well made, acted, storyline, and yes shock value etc without relying of sick scenes, let face it peeping Tom , twisted nerve, Tcm, exorcist, i spit on your grave, last house on left etc just a few that worked in the shock value in the day but by today's standards these are just mere kiddie stories,
I'm not judging anyone but fair play each to their own but IMO I can't see why films like these appeal to anyone .
Gothmogxx likes this.
Old 23rd December 2013, 09:17 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I didn't find A Serbian Film or Human Centipede 2 "sick", even though i'm not their biggest fan (though I haven't seen HC II uncut yet). I think really, the true end of the line is a proper snuff film if you know what I mean. A Serbian Film was fake so its okay. TBH, I get more worked up at the thought of genuine human suffering in places like Syria and the fact that you can find videos of it with Al-Nusra executing people just searching for it on Youtube. I actually remember something. I once told someone about these videos and all I received was "yeah thats bad stuff, shouldn't be seen". Fair enough, BUT I later brought up A Serbian Film and they then went into a fit, going on about how evil it was etc you get the point. Its interesting to see people get angrier about fiction than reality. Not that I'm implicating anyone here, your all great! We disagree, we debate... Unlike on some other places (I once got into an argument with some troll on Youtube over HC II. Someone others stood up for me, and the troll claimed he was the head sniper in the US and had a network of spies to deploy against us for disagreeing... I'm not exaggerating. I'll put up the link later, though it may take a while to actually scroll down to the comments, it was months ago). Point is I can gather fully why some people may not like the more extreme films, they're not for everyone. I'm sure we can all agree on that and let people watch whatever without bother...

Kinda got sidetracked there, whats this thread about again oh right Amerikan Holokaust... I'll give it a watch if I find it.
Old 23rd December 2013, 09:31 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
No matter what anyone says its something that I don't intend to watch even out off curiosity, like I said what happened to good old value horror where it's well made, acted, storyline, and yes shock value etc without relying of sick scenes, let face it peeping Tom , twisted nerve, Tcm, exorcist, i spit on your grave, last house on left etc just a few that worked in the shock value in the day but by today's standards these are just mere kiddie stories,
I'm not judging anyone but fair play each to their own but IMO I can't see why films like these appeal to anyone .
I disagree gag, the masturbation scene in "The Exorcist" is still shocking today as are ISOYG and TLHOTL. As to well made, well acted etc, I think it is irrelevant in these type of films. For me they are more about mood and visceral impact. As for artistic value they tend to have a grubby aesthetic all to themselves. I think the main problem with films like this, and I include myself in my criticism, is that they just ain't for old farts like you and I but for younger people with a completely different way of viewing films and understanding the content of films. In a world where you can Instagram your bollocks to your mates in a click of a button, is anything truly shocking!

Like this? Share it using the links below!