Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2010's

Poll: What were your favourite horror films of 2013?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
What were your favourite horror films of 2013?

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th January 2014, 04:50 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Perhaps it's just me but 2013 has been an awful year for horror.

I haven't seen a single 2013 horror film that I can truly say was better than just 'meh' (Maniac doesn't count as it's from 2012).

The closest I can get to a great horror film from this year is A Field in England and Stoker, which although are both excellent are not strictly 'horror films' despite flirting with certain horror themes.
Old 5th January 2014, 02:51 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Perhaps it's just me but 2013 has been an awful year for horror.

I haven't seen a single 2013 horror film that I can truly say was better than just 'meh' (Maniac doesn't count as it's from 2012).

The closest I can get to a great horror film from this year is A Field in England and Stoker, which although are both excellent are not strictly 'horror films' despite flirting with certain horror themes.
Maniac was released into limited UK cinemas in 2013, then onto home video.

You can argue it was from 2012 but if you never had a chance to see it the point is a touch invalid. Otherwise why wasn't it on your list last year?
Old 5th January 2014, 02:53 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
You can argue it was from 2012 but if you never had a chance to see it the point is a touch invalid. Otherwise why wasn't it on your list last year?
Because I didn't make one!
Old 5th January 2014, 03:03 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Because I didn't make one!
Personally i would have put it on this years list but i found it difficult to like, easy to admire, but not a film i could get involved in.

Still far better than Evil Dead which was bilge.

I'm getting round to reviewing them both when i catch up with December's viewings.
Old 5th January 2014, 03:39 PM
Active Cultist

No One Lives and You're Next were both excellent, probably my favourite "non-mainstream" horror releases this year.
Other than that, I did enjoy Carrie and thoroughly enjoyed Evil Dead.
The Purge was a blast, too. Curse of Chucky was average up until the post-credits scene, which was good enough to finally knock it over into the "liked" category for me.

I really wanted to like Maniac but I couldn't get into it. I'll probably try again sometime though.
Also worth saying that I quite liked V/H/S/2 as well. Not as good as the first but I had fun. Amazed filmmakers are still bothering with found footage, though. It got old years ago..
Old 5th January 2014, 04:07 PM
Active Cultist

Actually, does Stitches count as a 2013 release? Sure it did the festival run in 2012 but the home release didn't happen until March 2013..
Old 5th January 2014, 04:10 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by applecore View Post
Actually, does Stitches count as a 2013 release? Sure it did the festival run in 2012 but the home release didn't happen until March 2013..
I would say so then....

Bizarre_Eye may not.

Its all subjective really.
Old 5th January 2014, 06:06 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

The best horror (but with a broad definition) and my best film of 2013 was Tore Tanzt. Genuinely disturbing.
Old 5th January 2014, 11:08 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Personally i would have put it on this years list but i found it difficult to like, easy to admire, but not a film i could get involved in.

Still far better than Evil Dead which was bilge.

I'm getting round to reviewing them both when i catch up with December's viewings.
I loved the Maniac remake. Easily on equal ground with the original for me (although they are very different animals), and I'm someone who loves the original too.

I also agree on Evil Dead, and have only just realised that I've forgotten to add it to my 2013 films list. Aside from Mama it was the worst horror film that I've seen from 2013. I look forward to reading your review.

Has anyone seen Home Sweet Home? Not amazing by any margin, but it takes the prize as one of the best horror film of 2013 for me (after Frankenstein's Army) so far, irrespective of the 6/10 rating I'd give it.

Quote:
I would say so then....

Bizarre_Eye may not.

Its all subjective really.
I'm very particular about my release dates
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 5th January 2014, 11:12 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
This is obviously a lie as I forgot about Frankenstein's Army, which is certainly better than 'meh'. However, still a pretty underwhelming year. I do need to dig more into the indie side of things, which I'm hoping will be more fruitful than the terrible mainstream offerings of The Conjuring, Evil Dead, and Mama, and the mediocre VHS 2.

Last edited by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs; 6th January 2014 at 12:08 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!