Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2010's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th January 2014, 10:50 PM
Cult Rookie

One of the best horror trilogies in a long time, can't wait for #4
Old 16th January 2014, 04:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

All good stuff. Can't wait!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 10th February 2015, 01:03 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Default [REC] Apocalypse: Official Announcement

Hi everyone,

If you're a [REC] fan you're going to love this news! Coming soon to the UK, is the brand new and final entry in this gory franchise. Who's excited?!

[REC] Apocalypse

“A bone-crunching end to a dead brilliant franchise”
- The Hollywood News

Get ready for the blood-splattered final instalment of one of the most iconic franchises in contemporary horror – [REC]! And the horror’s about to come full circle, with the series’ original star and director – Manuela Velasco and Jaume Balagueró – returning for more terrifying fun, as the deadly demonic virus wreaks havoc on a voyage from hell!

Key talent:

Manuela Velasco ([REC], Velvet)
Ismael Fritschi
Paco Manzanedo
Héctor Colomé

Writer & Director
Jaume Balagueró ([REC], Quarantine)

Synopsis:

Following directly on from the brutal events in the doomed apartment building, TV reporter Ángela is rescued and taken to an oil tanker to undergo examination.

But unfortunately for the soldiers on board, Angela is carrying the seed of the mysterious demonic virus that turns its victims into mindless, bloodthirsty monsters. It’s only a matter of time before all hell breaks loose and the carnage begins again…

You'll Love It Because...

Not only is this one of the most revered modern horror franchises, it’s also one of the most innovative. With each installment it adds new twists and tricks, keeping the series fresh, relevant, and brilliantly brutal.

Now, with the return of both Manuela Velasco and Jaume Balagueró, the franchise has simultaneously returned to its claustrophobic roots and taken things in a completely new direction – what remains consistent though is its commitment to relentless horror, packing the story with nerve-shredding tension and buckets of gore.

Most of all though, [REC] Apocalypse has plenty of fun in the process and like the series overall, there’s no downtime – it’s all guts and axe-wielding glory, showing once again why the [REC] series put Spanish horror on the mainstream movie map.

Hot Quotes:

“Invoked a gag reflax more than once” – IGN

“One hell of a good time” – Fangoria

“Leaves nothing to the imagination” – Hollywood Reporter

“Immensely entertaining and dramatically satisfying” – Blu-ray.com

“A bone-crunching end to a dead brilliant franchise” - The Hollywood News

Special Features:

The Making of [REC] Apocalypse

[REC] Apocalypse arrives on DVD and Blu-ray Monday 2nd March 2015. Click here to order your copy!
shel likes this.
Old 10th February 2015, 02:24 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I've only seen the first [Rec] film.
Old 10th February 2015, 04:35 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I've enjoyed all three REC films; the first two more so than the third... but the 'Genesis' installment isn't without its charms.

I'm looking forward to checking this one out.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 10th February 2015, 04:42 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I really like all three, although it took a couple of viewings to appreciate the third film, mainly because it's so different from the previous entries.

Looking forward to Apocalypse.
Old 19th February 2015, 08:14 AM
Seasoned Cultist

I really love the two first movies. The third was okey as well.

But I gotta tell you, I didn´t really like part 4 at all.
A lot of the stuff that was built up in the first two, is just thrown out of the window in this one

At the end of part 2, you get the answer to what the "zombies" REALLY are. I really loved this surprise. But now, it´s like they though "**** that!".

Angela is pretty unlikable in this one as well.

I´m not a huge fan of the "found-footage" genre. But REC really nailed it, and this format is really missed in this one. It pretty much felt like yet another generic Zombie film now.

Also, the pacing is worse, and it sure takes a while before the action kicks in.
Could have worked better, if we had a better story and characters.
The best stuff was shown and spoiled in the trailer.

Part 3 was way more entertaining.
Maybe my expectations was too high, and maybe I give it another shot in the future. But I wish they had ended the series with part 2.

So don´t expect it to be as great as the first two, and you might enjoy it more than I did.

I give it a 2,5 out of 5
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 20th February 2015, 08:36 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdvds@Cult Labs View Post
Hi everyone,

If you're a [REC] fan you're going to love this news! Coming soon to the UK, is the brand new and final entry in this gory franchise. Who's excited?!
Is that for certain, or are we going to get another one?

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 20th February 2015, 12:47 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Sadly, I have to agree with Steel76 on the 4th REC movie; it was a major disappointment. It ignored everything that was tense and scary about the first two and used standard horror movie tropes that we've seen so many times before. 3, which I treated as a standalone, has bags more entertainment value.

The promise for 4, inferred in the title alone, was for a wider location, perhaps a city. This would follow the pattern of "homage" to Demons.
Why the filmmakers decided to go for a generic, and cheap Resident Evil clone, on a ship, is beyond me. It's as if the talent and creativity dissipated as time went on, or as the money ran out.
Steel76 likes this.
Old 20th February 2015, 04:01 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfarer View Post
The promise for 4, inferred in the title alone, was for a wider location, perhaps a city. This would follow the pattern of "homage" to Demons.
Why the filmmakers decided to go for a generic, and cheap Resident Evil clone, on a ship, is beyond me. It's as if the talent and creativity dissipated as time went on, or as the money ran out.
Yes, I was also hoping for the Zombie/demons escaping the building (just like in Demons), spreading terror in the whole city.
When they first announced REC 4, I remember reading a synopsis about just that.
wayfarer likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!