Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2010's

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th June 2015, 07:57 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Default Halloween Returns (2016)

This morning news broke that casting is currently underway on the newly titled Halloween Returns, a “recalibration” of the Halloween franchise penned by Patrick Melton and Marcus Dunstan, the duo behind various Saw sequels, as well as Pacific Rim, Feast, The Collector and The Collection.

Learning that a casting call went out, Bloody Disgusting did some digging and was able to exclusively learn that Dunstan is confirmed to be the next director to bring Michael Myers to life!

Dunstan previously directed The Collector and The Collection, both of which he co-wrote with Melton. The two got their start after winning “Project Greenlight” and having their screenplay produced into Dimension Films’ super fun 2005 Feast.

Filming is also confirmed to begin this July!

“Michael Myers has taken a long break from the big screen and we know fans are eager to see him return. We are excited to be back in business with Trancas and look forward to bringing one of the scariest installments of this classic franchise to audiences worldwide,” said Bob Weinstein, co-chairman The Weinstein Company & Dimension Films.

“The legacy of Halloween is something that Trancas is very proud of, and I look forward to working together again with Bob and Dimension to continue that tradition,” said Executive Producer Malek Akkad.

Earlier this morning the Halloween Returns plot was revealed:

Halloween Returns will be a standalone film set to reintroduce audiences to Michael Myers years after his initial rampage. It will pit a new group of Haddonfield youngsters against Myers.

The now 18-year-old child of one of Myers’ victims plays a central role along with the child of a cop whose long been obsessed with Myers’ case, even putting it before his own daughter.

Myers is now on death row and the two kids with their own personal vendettas against the killer sneak in to watch his execution. But when things go awry and Myers escapes, the pair, along with their friends, find themselves in the firing line.

With casting underway, and a director in place, expect things to begin heating up in Haddonfield, IL!

Source.
Old 16th June 2015, 07:58 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Whilst there are a few things here that have piqued my interest, overall this sounds like a bag of shite to me.

I'm someone who didn't rate The Collector much at all so Dunstan being involved is hardly a glowing endorsement where I'm concerned.
Old 16th June 2015, 08:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I quite liked the Collector (think Demdike recommended it), but yeah, this does sound a bit pants. The title needs changing for a start, but I've no doubt that I'll watch it when it comes out, and probably enjoy it, seeing as I'm one of those rare people that actually really likes both the RZ Halloween films
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 16th June 2015, 08:23 PM
Active Cultist

Halloween always returns, so where's the news.I would be excited if Halloween wouldn't return for our wallets.Oh, hell...guess I don't mind as long as John gets a check.
Old 16th June 2015, 08:35 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Really have no enthusiasm for this. Why they have to keep churning out tepid re-workings of classic movies is beyond me. Look how bad the new Fri 13th and Elm Street films were. Surely they notice shit like that?

I'd prefer them to go back to the concept of Halloween 3, where the idea was to have a different horror appear every Halloween, where the possibilities and stories could be boundless with perhaps a central thread of the original evil flowing through. That idea was shelved though when audiences wanted to see more of Mad Mike. Pity.
Old 16th June 2015, 08:45 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
Really have no enthusiasm for this. Why they have to keep churning out tepid re-workings of classic movies is beyond me. Look how bad the new Fri 13th and Elm Street films were. Surely they notice shit like that?

I'd prefer them to go back to the concept of Halloween 3, where the idea was to have a different horror appear every Halloween, where the possibilities and stories could be boundless with perhaps a central thread of the original evil flowing through. That idea was shelved though when audiences wanted to see more of Mad Mike. Pity.
Agreed.

Whilst we usually do see one (or a few) new horrors appear around Halloween time, they're usually low budget DTV cash-ins lying forgotten on the shelves of supermarkets. Anything actually hyped up or marketed is usually a remake, sequel or tired re-tread targeted at the jump-scare crowd. Some originality would be nice for a change. I can't remember getting excited about a new Halloween film since 2007's Trick 'r Treat... and that was a rarity after a long dry spell.
Boo Radley likes this.
Old 16th June 2015, 08:51 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Friday 13th remake - budget $19 million, box office $91.4 million
NOES remake - budget $35 million, box office $115.6 million

Basic maths. I don't agree but these greenlit decisions are done by people in boardrooms based on numbers and spreadsheets and the power of a brand rather than the quality of the film
Old 16th June 2015, 09:02 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

....Fricken sad, ain't it?
Old 16th June 2015, 10:09 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
....Fricken sad, ain't it?
Absolutely.
Old 16th June 2015, 10:11 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The plot of this actually makes Halloween Resurrection sound good.

They'd be better sticking Myers on a boat or in space or something a little different to the norm.

Like this? Share it using the links below!