Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2010's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree19Likes
  • 3 Post By Boo Radley
  • 2 Post By Vampix
  • 1 Post By gag
  • 1 Post By Nordicdusk
  • 3 Post By Boo Radley
  • 2 Post By Boo Radley
  • 4 Post By Boo Radley
  • 2 Post By Make Them Die Slowly
  • 1 Post By Boo Radley

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st June 2015, 03:28 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default American Guinea Pig

Those of us of a certain age remember well when the Japanese hit us with the pseudo snuff film Flowers of Flesh and Blood. It was one of a series of films under the moniker of The Guinea Pig Films. Along with Flowers it also included Devils Experiment, Android of Notre Dame, Mermaid in a Manhole, He Never Dies and Devil Doctor Woman. Whilst the rest of the series were quickly forgettable apart from maybe Devils Experiment, Flower seared itself into the brain of anyone foolish enough to watch it and epitomized the saying, once seen, never forgotten.

At first, rumours abounded about this notorious title and one such would have us believe that no lesser a celebrity than Charlie "Tigers Blood" Sheen watched it, then turned it over to the FBI for investigation. Hmm.... no comment.

What is undeniable though is that it forced its way into horror fans consciousness with the subtlety of a sledgehammer on an egg. Vilified and despised it ignored film convention at the time by having no story, no redeeming features and no apologies. It predated films like Grotesque by decades and became one of the most pirated films to ever hit a fans collection.

Now, Steven Biro, the man behind Unearthed Films in the US of A has decided that an updated version is what the world needs and to this end has unleashed his vision called, American Guinea Pig, Bouquet of Blood and Gore. See what he did there...? An Indegogo campaign raised 35 grand so it shows that people are willing to invest to see this stuff once again. Is this a beginning of a backlash against the mediocre, tepid crap that they label as horror nowadays or is there just a lot of sick puppies out there? I would vote for the former, myself but I'm used to being in a minority.

It arrives to boil your brain in the next month with a 3 disc Special Edition if you have a particular sickness or a 1 disc version if you want to kid yourself that you're not really into this but want to watch it anyway! From what I can make out Biro wants to re-do the entire series and will most likely do more Indegogo to raise the funds. If I had seen the 1st promotion for this I would defo have dropped $200 for one of those signed Baphomet masks!!

So are you salivating over being shocked once again like you were 25 years ago or think that it is just sick untalented shit with no room for it in your collection? Go on, take a wild guess which copy I ordered...

Here's the 'blurb from Melonfarmers;
Promotional Material

Two women are abducted by a group of snuff filmmakers and brought into a Hellish nightmare of unmistakable brutality, viciousness and destruction that will leave every viewer shocked, amazed and awestruck. A love letter to ultra gorehounds the world over. The American Guinea Pig Series is about to begin. Extras Audio Commentary with Marcus Koc & Stephen Biro Audio Commentary with James VanBebber & Stephen Biro Interview with Scott Gabbey & James Van Bebber Interview with Marcus Koch & Stephen Biro FX preproduction for AGP Making of Bouquet of Guts and Gore Music Video by Perdition Temple An extensive stills gallery Soundtrack CD 12 page booklet.

The Japanese set a standard with these movies, especially Flower of Flesh & Blood, of being crude and messy with little regard for what you think a movie should be. Director, writer and editor Stephen Biro takes that attitude and saws your fu%king legs off with it. - CINESPLOITATION
I guarantee it will leave the most hardened gore fans stunned, like a shotgun blast to the face. - LAIR OF FILTH
Mr. Biro's film is a true gore masterpiece! I felt as if I had been immersed in a swimming pool of ravaged flesh and entrails. - STRICTLY SPLATTER
FLOWER OF FLESH AND BLOOD has long been one of the most, if not the most convincing pseudo-snuff films in the history of subversive underground horror cinema... that is until now. - SEVERED CINEMA
Sometimes, ya just gotta flush out your eye sockets after what you've seen. - - DREAD CENTRAL
Stephen Biro is one cruel son of a bi*ch. This isn't a movie you can simply write off as gross. It's something far deeper for which I am sure only Lucifer himself could decipher. - RYAN NICHOLSON Director of Gutterballs, Live Feed and Collar.
If you are into gore and want to test your endurance, AGP will be your next task. - SADISTIC CINEMA
TWISTED AS ALL HELL! - HORRORNEWS.NET
Bonus features include: CD Soundtrack, Alternate Trailers, 12 Page Booklet, On Set Still Gallery, FX Pre-production Still Gallery, Interview with Marcus Koch, Director of 100 Tears and FX Guru and Director Stephen Biro of AGP and President of Unearthed Films. , Interviews with Jim VanBebber. Director of DeadBeat at Dawn and the Manson Family and Scott Gabbey. President of Ultra Violent Magazine, The Making of American Guinea Pig 1:45 minutes, Special Effects: Behind The Scenes Pre-Production of AGP 25 minutes , Alternate scenes, Cut Scenes, Commentary with Marcus Koch and Stephen Biro, Commentary with Jim VanBebber and Stephen Biro, Perdition Temple Music Video

Trailer: Will the “AMERICAN GUINEA PIG” Series Shock you? | FANGORIA®
Old 22nd June 2015, 02:31 PM
Cult Acolyte

I don't think I can work up much interest about this. I haven't even been able to sit through the original Flower of Flesh and Blood because I found it so boring. Don't get me wrong I enjoy my splatter as much as the next gorehound, but I like a little bit of a storyline behind it too.
Hammer time and Boo Radley like this.
Old 22nd June 2015, 02:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Not my scene either, only watched that one and was enough for me so didnt bother watching the rest, just my opinion so dont have a go lol but i dont quite see why people want to watch this type of film that aimed at being on border of snuff films,
Boo Radley likes this.
Old 22nd June 2015, 04:52 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Im really excited to see this the trailer looks great the effects look very well done.
Boo Radley likes this.
Old 22nd June 2015, 05:13 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I get both of you, really I do. I know and understand where you're coming from and if someone else said to me that they were looking forward to watching a woman being dismembered for entertainment I would be thinking that this is not the sort of person I want to be near!

I love and collect the most extreme cinema I can dig up and back in the day Guinea Pig was it. Nothing came close, it was the myth of the snuff movie made real and because of its notoriety it was the ultimate "must have" movie. It has gone down in the annuls of history and is still reviled almost a quarter of a century later. If you collect horror films you have heard of it or have seen, at least, a bit of it.

I had numerous video efforts ranging in quality, perhaps 3 of each, the German DVD set with the Tee Shirt and poster and the Unearthed set but now I just have the German Steelbook set. Now that they're bringing out a sequel of sorts I have no choice in do I buy it or not, my collection demands that I buy it. It would be like collecting Mafia movies but refusing to add The Godfather, it is an offer I just cannot refuse!

I am a victim of my own obsession...
Old 24th June 2015, 05:32 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

American Guinea Pig 2...BLOODSHOCK.

A teaser poster has appeared for the next instalment directed by Marcus "100 Tears" Koch.

American Guinea Pig: BLOODSHOCK teaser synopsis released |

Old 14th August 2015, 03:23 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Ha! The missus on nights, the boy at his grandma's....it's Guinea Pig time!

I am a bit of a gorehound, I loves a bit of the claret spraying about in films and if a scene makes me wince or curl my toes, all the better for it. The Japanese Guinea Pig seared itself into my brain all those years ago and I sat in trepidation for this new re-make with bated breath.

Holy shit, what a disappointment! The last time I felt this deflated was after I met Cindi in that Bangkok bar who later turned out to be called Dave. Total and utter dross, there is nothing to recommend this at all...and I really wanted to like it.

The effects are soooo badly done, amateurish beyond belief with some of the worst skin and limbs I've ever seen. And I have seen some shit FX before!! Filmed on two cameras, one a 16 mm, the other a video recorder, the film (Film...that's a laugh!) switches from one really grainy image to one slightly better. You could say they were going for that snuff movie myth aesthetic but you would have to be really forgiving to do so. The blood looks like corn syrup and they have no idea what a human body actually looks like on the inside.

At times I felt a Last House on Dead End Street vibe but that stands head and shoulders above this. Even the effects in "Snuff" (The video nasty) were superior to what's on show here. If I raised $35 000.00 and put this out as the result I would be ashamed, and I've never made a movie in my life, but I'm damn sure I could have done something better than this!

If you were wondering what the fuss is all about and if you should give it a go then my recommendation would be not to bother. The original shits all over this and this abomination just sullies the reputation.
Old 15th August 2015, 07:51 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Just not quite my cup of tea, so ill give this a miss anyway.
Old 15th August 2015, 08:53 AM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Bad luck Boo but there really isn't any substitute for the real thing....
Old 15th August 2015, 01:07 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The trailer for Bloodshock... but the trailer for Bouquet looked good too....
Exclusive trailer, cover art, etc. for “AMERICAN GUINEA PIG: BLOODSHOCK” and more from Unearthed Films | FANGORIA®

Like this? Share it using the links below!