Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2010's

Like Tree65Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th June 2016, 07:42 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Yeah another two fantastic modern horror flicks!

Plough the money into original,frightening flicks like these and to **** with the endless,pointless and let's be frank,shitty remakes.
MOST new films bore me shitless - there's such a safe, vanilla sensibility about the filmmaking. Predictable and dull as ditchwater. Every now and then you'll get something that really bucks the trend but it's usually an indie - COLD IN JULY, BLUE RUINS, decent new films are still being made.

One film that I was impressed with that I had very low expectations going-in was THE TOWN THAT DREADED SUNDOWN - not quite perfect but enough smarts to elevate it above most modern horrors and thrillers - nicely riffed on the original and I think it's the better film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
I still haven't seen The Babadook, but I agree about It Follows, very creepy, and helped in no small part by the excellent music.
Definitely seek out THE BABADOOK, Stephen. It's a great little film.
Old 6th June 2016, 07:46 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Jesus-that voice.

Hair.....back of neck.....stood up......
No kidding. Gonna be careful here, since I suppose it is a pretty big spoiler:

SPOILER:

I totally DID NOT expect Black Phillip to really speak, when Thomasin called to him. I expected the film to remain ambiguous in that respect, allowing the viewer to think that -- while there was obviously a real witch in the beginning, and she really did take the baby -- everything else might have been in the characters' heads as they went crazy dealing with the failure of their crops, the loss of their loved ones, etc. This is not to say I was disappointed in any way, shape, or form. I'm glad the film went down the path it went down (no pun intended). It shocked the hell out of me, and when he first whispered a reply . . . yeah, man, I'm with you. ****ing goosebumps all over. So, so creepy. My wife and I watched the film again a few days ago, for the first time since we saw it in the theater during its wide release, and we both agreed that we felt like we needed to get down on our knees and pray when all was said and done. LOL
Old 6th June 2016, 07:49 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@TheOverlook View Post

One film that I was impressed with that I had very low expectations going-in was THE TOWN THAT DREADED SUNDOWN - not quite perfect but enough smarts to elevate it above most modern horrors and thrillers - nicely riffed on the original and I think it's the better film.

I almost watched that for the first time last night. I was so full of hay fever i ended up going with the ever faithful Mallrats instead.
Paul@TheOverlook likes this.
Old 6th June 2016, 07:55 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@TheOverlook View Post
THE TOWN THAT DREADED SUNDOWN - not quite perfect but enough smarts to elevate it above most modern horrors and thrillers - nicely riffed on the original and I think it's the better film.
Agreed! I was pretty pleasantly surprised with that one. While it did sorta fizzle out at the end for me, I found myself pretty engaged with the story all the way through. I started it up one night on Netflix just out of sheer boredom, planned to play around on the laptop while the movie ran in the background, and that brutal-as-hell beginning just hooked me right in.
Old 6th June 2016, 07:58 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesN View Post
Agreed! I was pretty pleasantly surprised with that one. While it did sorta fizzle about a the end for me, I found myself pretty engaged with the story all the way through. I started it up one night on Netflix just out of sheer boredom, planned to play around on the laptop while the movie ran in the background, and that brutal-as-hell beginning just hooked me right in.
That's where I caught it - back when I was rigging my AppleTV to play the US offering
Old 7th June 2016, 04:00 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Here's a taste of that soundtrack!

JamesN likes this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 25th July 2016, 08:38 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

So I see from the 'watched recently' thread,quite a few of you have seen THE WITCH.

What did you think of it?

What got under your skin?

What was the creepiest bit?

Discuss here please.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 25th July 2016, 08:43 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The film had the same effect on me as The Exorcist probably did to people back in the mid 70's.

I felt almost in shock come the end. Everything about it worked so wonderfully well. From the very first minute which you had to take notice off in order for the final moments to really hit home what had happened.

It might be because i live in Pendle Witch country and have an interest in the them i don't know, it was just phenomenal.
Old 25th July 2016, 08:43 PM
Cult Acolyte

the fact I paid a tenner for it.

Old 25th July 2016, 08:46 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post

the fact I paid a tenner for it.
Are you sure you didn't watch Joan Collins in "The Bitch"...easy mistake to make.

Like this? Share it using the links below!