Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 2010's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=556)
-   -   THE WITCH 2015 Robert Eggers (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/2010s/13335-witch-2015-robert-eggers.html)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 6th June 2016 07:06 PM

THE WITCH 2015 Robert Eggers

1 Attachment(s)
I bought the Canadian steelbook of this recent horror film.

As I sat down to watch it last night,I didn't have high hopes for it all,thinking that all the mags had given some arty fright flick top marks.(After being let down by Under The Skin).
How wrong ye olde Reaper was!

One of the few recent horror flicks that has managed to genuinely chill me,this 'Old England folk tale' is a must see for fans of the supernatural.

The actual forest setting is as terrifying as the various evil manifestations throughout the film and makes the woods in a certain other found footage witch flick look like the forest in Center Parks!The score comes a close second,all screeching strings and 'whispers'.

The film begins with the abduction of a baby (shocking!) and never takes it's foot off the pedal all the way to it's terrible finale.

Also;forget rabid dogs,evil cats,possessed animals.
You will never see another four legged fiend as creepy as 'Black Phillip'.

Trust me people,if you're a serious horror fan,beg borrow,steal or import this film now!
You won't be disappointed!

(Best served in a darkened room with candlelight and the volume cranked up!)

Anyone else see it?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjBN0ByAqDk

Paul@TheOverlook 6th June 2016 07:09 PM

Looking forward to catching this one via a disc that came in last week ;)

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th June 2016 07:11 PM

Really looking forward to it's UK release.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 6th June 2016 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul@TheOverlook (Post 492996)
Looking forward to catching this one via a disc that came in last week ;)

Catch it,as I said mate in a darkened room.
Let me know how you get on......

The best modern fright flick I've seen in a long time.:fear:

JamesN 6th June 2016 07:17 PM

THE WITCH blew me away. This one is my favorite American-made (although filmed in Canada) film since THE MIST.

Soooo creepy. And so meticulously written and directed, with nothing but 100% authenticity. Truly a masterpiece of film that transcends the genre (in fact, many are arguing that it's NOT a horror fan, but I strongly disagree).

"Wouldst that like to live deliciously?"

Paul@TheOverlook 6th June 2016 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 492998)
Catch it,as I said mate in a darkened room.
Let me know how you get on......

The best modern fright flick I've seen in a long time.:fear:

I loved THE BABADOOK and IT FOLLOWS - I thought they were both genuinely creepy and surprising.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 6th June 2016 07:32 PM

Yeah another two fantastic modern horror flicks!:nod:

Plough the money into original,frightening flicks like these and to **** with the endless,pointless and let's be frank,shitty remakes.

Stephen@Cult Labs 6th June 2016 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul@TheOverlook (Post 493008)
I loved THE BABADOOK and IT FOLLOWS - I thought they were both genuinely creepy and surprising.

I still haven't seen The Babadook, but I agree about It Follows, very creepy, and helped in no small part by the excellent music.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 6th June 2016 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesN (Post 492999)

"Wouldst that like to live deliciously?"

Jesus-that voice.

Hair.....back of neck.....stood up......:hide:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 6th June 2016 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 493012)
I still haven't seen The Babadook, but I agree about It Follows, very creepy, and helped in no small part by the excellent music.

One of the main components of The Witch's scare tactics.

You need to see The Babadook and The Witch buddy.:nod:

Paul@TheOverlook 6th June 2016 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 493011)
Yeah another two fantastic modern horror flicks!:nod:

Plough the money into original,frightening flicks like these and to **** with the endless,pointless and let's be frank,shitty remakes.

MOST new films bore me shitless - there's such a safe, vanilla sensibility about the filmmaking. Predictable and dull as ditchwater. Every now and then you'll get something that really bucks the trend but it's usually an indie - COLD IN JULY, BLUE RUINS, decent new films are still being made.

One film that I was impressed with that I had very low expectations going-in was THE TOWN THAT DREADED SUNDOWN - not quite perfect but enough smarts to elevate it above most modern horrors and thrillers - nicely riffed on the original and I think it's the better film.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 493012)

Definitely seek out THE BABADOOK, Stephen. It's a great little film.

JamesN 6th June 2016 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 493013)
Jesus-that voice.

Hair.....back of neck.....stood up......:hide:

No kidding. Gonna be careful here, since I suppose it is a pretty big spoiler:

SPOILER:

I totally DID NOT expect Black Phillip to really speak, when Thomasin called to him. I expected the film to remain ambiguous in that respect, allowing the viewer to think that -- while there was obviously a real witch in the beginning, and she really did take the baby -- everything else might have been in the characters' heads as they went crazy dealing with the failure of their crops, the loss of their loved ones, etc. This is not to say I was disappointed in any way, shape, or form. I'm glad the film went down the path it went down (no pun intended). It shocked the hell out of me, and when he first whispered a reply . . . yeah, man, I'm with you. ****ing goosebumps all over. So, so creepy. My wife and I watched the film again a few days ago, for the first time since we saw it in the theater during its wide release, and we both agreed that we felt like we needed to get down on our knees and pray when all was said and done. LOL

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th June 2016 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul@TheOverlook (Post 493024)

One film that I was impressed with that I had very low expectations going-in was THE TOWN THAT DREADED SUNDOWN - not quite perfect but enough smarts to elevate it above most modern horrors and thrillers - nicely riffed on the original and I think it's the better film.

I almost watched that for the first time last night. I was so full of hay fever i ended up going with the ever faithful Mallrats instead. :lol:

JamesN 6th June 2016 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul@TheOverlook (Post 493024)
THE TOWN THAT DREADED SUNDOWN - not quite perfect but enough smarts to elevate it above most modern horrors and thrillers - nicely riffed on the original and I think it's the better film.

Agreed! I was pretty pleasantly surprised with that one. While it did sorta fizzle out at the end for me, I found myself pretty engaged with the story all the way through. I started it up one night on Netflix just out of sheer boredom, planned to play around on the laptop while the movie ran in the background, and that brutal-as-hell beginning just hooked me right in.

Paul@TheOverlook 6th June 2016 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesN (Post 493041)
Agreed! I was pretty pleasantly surprised with that one. While it did sorta fizzle about a the end for me, I found myself pretty engaged with the story all the way through. I started it up one night on Netflix just out of sheer boredom, planned to play around on the laptop while the movie ran in the background, and that brutal-as-hell beginning just hooked me right in.

That's where I caught it - back when I was rigging my AppleTV to play the US offering ;)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 7th June 2016 04:00 PM

Here's a taste of that soundtrack!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BzpEEA6b4Y

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 25th July 2016 08:38 PM

So I see from the 'watched recently' thread,quite a few of you have seen THE WITCH.

What did you think of it?

What got under your skin?

What was the creepiest bit?

Discuss here please.:scared:

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th July 2016 08:43 PM

The film had the same effect on me as The Exorcist probably did to people back in the mid 70's.

I felt almost in shock come the end. Everything about it worked so wonderfully well. From the very first minute which you had to take notice off in order for the final moments to really hit home what had happened.

It might be because i live in Pendle Witch country and have an interest in the them i don't know, it was just phenomenal.

Inspector Abberline 25th July 2016 08:43 PM

the fact I paid a tenner for it.

Make Them Die Slowly 25th July 2016 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 498657)

Are you sure you didn't watch Joan Collins in "The Bitch"...easy mistake to make.

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th July 2016 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 498659)
Are you sure you didn't watch Joan Collins in "The Bitch"...easy mistake to make.

Have you seen it yet, MTDS?

I really look forward to your thoughts.

Inspector Abberline 25th July 2016 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 498659)

the goat did have a touch Dynasty about her.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 25th July 2016 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 498657)

A tenner well spent!

Make Them Die Slowly 25th July 2016 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 498662)
Have you seen it yet, MTDS?

I really look forward to your thoughts.

Not yet, waiting for the 13 seat sofa to be delivered so the coven can watch it together.

Inspector Abberline 25th July 2016 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 498669)
A tenner well spent!

I refuse to pay a tenner for coffee cup coaster,

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 25th July 2016 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 498671)
I refuse to pay a tenner for coffee cup coaster,

You could always switch to tea... it's slightly classier? ;)

Frankenhooker 25th July 2016 09:06 PM

I thought it was a fantastic, albeit, poorly marketed film. Atmosphere in spades and a sense of dread that manages to creep up on you. Wonderful performances and beautifully shot, a very impressive debut.

I'm still undecided on the ending, in fact there's a lot I haven't made my mind up on. Did everyone notice the ergot fungus on the corn ?

Inspector Abberline 25th July 2016 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 498670)
Not yet, waiting for the 13 seat sofa to be delivered so the coven can watch it together.

where is the goat going to sit?

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th July 2016 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankenhooker (Post 498675)

I'm still undecided on the ending, in fact there's a lot I haven't made my mind up on. Did everyone notice the ergot fungus on the corn ?

What puzzled you?

I'm pretty sure i 'got' everything.

To those who have not seen the film i'd leave this thread now.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 25th July 2016 09:13 PM

I think I may have to stop reading this thread through fear of potential spoilers!

:makelikeatree:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 25th July 2016 09:13 PM

Yeah interesting to see what you didn't get FH?

Frankenhooker 25th July 2016 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 498679)
What puzzled you?

I'm pretty sure i 'got' everything.

To those who have not seen the film i'd leave this thread now.

Ergot poisoning causes hallucinations, convulsions, paranoia and delusions. Some scholars think Ergot poisoning may have been one of the main causes of the Salem Witch Trials, it was apparently rife at the time and it may of helped to create group paranoia and also make a person appear possessed. I'm fairly certain the fungi growing on the crops was Ergot.

I wouldn't say I was puzzled, just unsure of how literal it all was.

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th July 2016 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankenhooker (Post 498684)
Ergot poisoning causes hallucinations, convulsions, paranoia and delusions. Some scholars think Ergot poisoning may have been one of the main causes of the Salem Witch Trials, it was apparently rife at the time and it may of helped to create group paranoia and also make a person appear possessed. I'm fairly certain the fungi growing on the crops was Ergot.

I wouldn't say I was puzzled, just unsure of how literal it all was.

I thought Ergot poisoning discolored your hands though?

But yes it did show spoiled corn but was that due to what was happening or the cause of what was happening? The resolution of the film suggests the former.

Make Them Die Slowly 25th July 2016 09:44 PM

Symptoms of bewitchment are fairly universal and appear to transcend culture, location and type of local crops grown!

Frankenhooker 25th July 2016 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 498681)
Yeah interesting to see what you didn't get FH?

There was nothing I didn't 'get', I just have a couple of different theories. I'm unsure as to whether to take the film literally or not. As soon as I saw the contaminated corn, something just twigged. When I was at university I read a bit about mass hysteria, one chapter I read was about the Salem Witch Trials, specifically about Ergot poisoning and its effects. I can't remember reading anything about discolouration of hands, but I suppose it's possible.

Personally I think the film works either way, I'm watching it again soon, I'll probably think differently. It's a fantastic film though.

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th July 2016 10:32 PM

This was grim as hell. The breastfeeding crow.

https://wtfbabe.files.wordpress.com/...aint-pauly.gif

Make Them Die Slowly 25th July 2016 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 498701)
This was grim as hell. The breastfeeding crow.

https://wtfbabe.files.wordpress.com/...aint-pauly.gif

Grim? Looks more like you have posted one of your home sex tapes by mistake.

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th July 2016 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 498702)
Grim? Looks more like you have posted one of your home sex tapes by mistake.

You aren't supposed to be on this thread if you haven't seen it.

Don't want to spoil anything for you and lessen your enjoyment.

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th July 2016 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 498705)
You aren't supposed to be on this thread if you haven't seen it.

Don't want to spoil anything for you and lessen your enjoyment.

That first line sounds like a telling off. It isn't. :lol:

Just that spoilers are sure to be posted here and it needs seeing cold i think.

JamesN 26th July 2016 12:22 AM

I thought it was phenomenal. My favorite American-made (Canadian-shot) horror film since THE MIST.