Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2010's

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th February 2017, 09:27 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I posted this to the what have you seen thread, but as this thread was pointed out to me a week or so ago, thought i'd paste my thoughts here too.

----------------------------------------------------

The Wailing. I don't think western cinema make films like this. With this Korean film, you get the whole 9 nine yards wrapped up in one package that manages still to pack a bit of a wallop despite the first 40 minutes resembling the keystone cops rather than a horror film. In fact i'm going to get all pedantic and stuff and call this a supernatural thriller rather than a horror - don't get me wrong, there's lots of horror stuff in it, but it's wrapped up in a farce/police procedural, shamanic rituals, whodunnit, and existential musings. Like i said, western cinema doesn't do this stuff.

At 150 minutes you might think it's long winded for a film of this nature, but it never drags, there's always something to demand your attention, whether it's the downright unsettling performance of the actor playing 'The Jap', the (i found them great) shamanic rituals - who knew that you had to laugh through most of it. Maybe to show the spirit it's amusing rather than scary? or the numerous twists and red-herrings that occupy the last 20 minutes or so (although my enjoyment was reduced an iota by what i think was 1 twist too many that even with hindsight makes no sense).

It's funny, informative, daring, scary, and eventually a bit gut-wrenching.

If watching 2 1/2 hours of subtitles isn't your thing, your might have problems. Me? I hardly noticed they were there.

4.5/5
Old 17th February 2017, 10:22 AM
Cult Addict

Its an alarming trend where films now seem to get DVD only releases in the UK. I specifically pre-ordered the Train to Busan and the forthcoming The Void as they offered an option for HD collectors. Perhaps the demand isn't there or it just costs too much to put stuff out on the format?

Either way The wailing comes highly recommended.
Old 17th February 2017, 11:14 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Its an alarming trend where films now seem to get DVD only releases in the UK. I specifically pre-ordered the Train to Busan and the forthcoming The Void as they offered an option for HD collectors. Perhaps the demand isn't there or it just costs too much to put stuff out on the format?

Either way The wailing comes highly recommended.
I think it depends on the distributor. Some choose (for whatever reason) to not release a lot of their catalogue acquisitions in HD, like Metrodome, who have now folded.

I'm not saying them not releasing a bulk of their titles on Blu lead to their demise, but I can 100% say that I would have bought a lot more of their titles if a Blu-ray option had been available.

It's increasingly becoming a collector's market (especially for films such as these) and given the option most collectors will opt for Blu over DVD 100% of the time.
keirarts likes this.
Old 17th February 2017, 11:19 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I think it depends on the distributor. Some choose (for whatever reason) to not release a lot of their catalogue acquisitions in HD,

It's increasingly becoming a collector's market (especially for films such as these) and given the option most collectors will opt for Blu over DVD 100% of the time.
Which means the first sentence, highlighted yellow, doesn't make business sense.
Old 17th February 2017, 11:36 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Which means the first sentence, highlighted yellow, doesn't make sense.
Of course it does.

Some will choose not to release in HD for a variety of reasons (budget restraints, cost of replicating BDs over DVDs, them assuming the market isn't there for a particular film in HD etc.) but then they run the risk of the niche films they're attempting to sell to a declining, more demanding physical media market being ignored in favour of more lavish imports.
keirarts likes this.
Old 17th February 2017, 11:44 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Of course it does.

Some will choose not to release in HD for a variety of reasons (budget restraints, cost of replicating BDs over DVDs, them assuming the market isn't there for a particular film in HD etc.) but then they run the risk of the niche films they're attempting to sell to a declining, more demanding physical media market being ignored in favour of more lavish imports.
These companies that can't cater for the market are surely going to disappear soon then.

If you sell cars and know the majority of your customers want a Ferrari (Bd) then they aren't going to buy the Micra (dvd) on offer are they.

Which is just what you said previously. Plenty of films you'd like from these companies but you don't bother as they aren't on blu, meaning it doesn't make good business sense as i alluded to.

Either that or you seriously over estimate the sales of blu against dvd.
Old 17th February 2017, 12:18 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
These companies that can't cater for the market are surely going to disappear soon then.

If you sell cars and know the majority of your customers want a Ferrari (Bd) then they aren't going to buy the Micra (dvd) on offer are they.

Which is just what you said previously. Plenty of films you'd like from these companies but you don't bother as they aren't on blu, meaning it doesn't make good business sense as i alluded to.
Potentially all distributors will (and have to a large extent) moved with the times. It's the ones that refuse to who are left behind.

I think I mis-interpreted your reply as my bit you hi-lighted in yellow was a direct response to keirarts' statement "Its an alarming trend where films now seem to get DVD only releases in the UK" of which I was offering up a suggestive reason as to why certain distributors do it.
Old 17th February 2017, 04:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I want to watch it again already.

Like this? Share it using the links below!