Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2010's

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th January 2017, 04:39 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Official Announcement South Korean Horror, THE WAILING

Hi everyone,

Over the past few years, South Korea have been creating some fantastic genre films, and The Wailing is another one to add to that list! Check out the details below...

South Korean box office smash, THE WAILING, is a riveting police investigation which turns into a sensationally terrifying thriller as a likeable cop is drawn into a nightmarish hunt for a source of pure evil disturbing his quiet, rural village.

Out of his depth, local police officer Jong-goo investigates a spate of killings, as well as an outbreak of madness seemingly connected to the recent arrival of a mysterious Japanese man who resides in the outskirts of the village. What’s more, he is horrified to discover his young daughter may have fallen under the stranger’s curse.

Jong-goo calls on a charismatic shaman to free his daughter from the stranger’s dangerous influence, but the shaman’s intense exorcism ritual threatens to worsen the situation... and Jong-goo, with his world collapsing around him, realises he must confront the ultimate evil.

With the likes of The Host, I Saw The Devil, and Train To Busan, South Korea is developing a reputation for producing top quality, world class horror films. THE WAILING cements that reputation – a box office smash, having taken over $50 million dollars in South Korea alone, the film is a stunning entertainment quite unlike anything that’s gone before. Hong-jin Na (who directed the acclaimed thriller Chaser) effortlessly combines bone-chilling frights and heart-wrenching drama with moments of comedy to relieve the nerve-shattering subject matter.

Packed with real emotional weight, and a devilish final act twist, this is assured, impressive and wildly original piece of filmmaking featuring inept cops, red-eyed flesh chewing ghouls, a mysterious shaman and a sinister stranger, as well as the most foul-mouthed possessed youngster since The Exorcist.

Beautifully filmed in the mountains of South Korea, and dripping with atmosphere, Na’s film features an unlikely leading man, Do Won Kwak, a comically incompetent cop who has to face down an extraordinary evil to save his family and his village.

Early, humorous scenes give way to a nightmarish battle between good and evil, including an exhilarating, jaw- dropping exorcism set piece, conducted by Jung-min Hwang as the charismatic shaman, and a brutal, multi-layered showdown that lingers long in the memory.

The Wailing broke box office records on its release in South Korea, garnered rave reviews after showing at Cannes 2016, and played at the prestigious BFI London Film Festival, THE WAILING is an epic, assured horror film of The Exorcist-like proportions that will terrify, amuse and astound in equal measure.

THE WAILING comes to UK DVD from 30th January 2017. Click here for more info.
Old 9th January 2017, 04:56 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Have you seen this, Kyle?

Any good?

I used to love Korean horror then went totally off it. Too many ghosts.
keirarts likes this.
Old 9th January 2017, 05:07 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Wailing is a great slow burn Korean horror that is definitely worth checking out if you get the chance. Be warned though that it has a running time of over two and a half hours.
Old 9th January 2017, 05:31 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

This one along with Train to Busan are two of my most anticipated Korean horror films of recent years.

A shame that there is no UK Blu-ray though, which means that I'll be forced to import.
Old 9th January 2017, 05:45 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
This one along with Train to Busan are two of my most anticipated Korean horror films of recent years.
A mate of mine has seen Busan. He said it was excellent.
Old 9th January 2017, 06:45 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Train To Busan is incredible, Dem! I know when it showed at FrightFest many of the hardened horror fans were reduced to tears - it's an emotional flick. I of course, never shed a tear...honest!

I'm sure you'll really enjoy The Wailing too Monkeypedro is spot on - it's a slow burner with lots of atmosphere and some very gruesome moments. I thought it was excellent
Old 9th January 2017, 07:55 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post

A shame that there is no UK Blu-ray though, which means that I'll be forced to import.
I imported the US release because it appeared the company hadn't put out much (if anything) on Blu-ray. It's great that Busan is getting a UK Blu-ray release. Two I've been eagerly awaiting. Saving The Wailing for a special occasion.
Old 10th January 2017, 08:18 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Sexgoremutants think it's a 'fantastic film'.

SGM Frame
keirarts likes this.
Old 7th February 2017, 05:27 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Some scenes from The Wailing:

Old 7th February 2017, 05:36 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Love this one.

It's like Harker every Friday night.

Like this? Share it using the links below!