Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2010's

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd January 2019, 08:13 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Dario Argento isn't impressed!

Dario Argento Says ‘Suspiria’ Remake ‘Betrayed the Spirit of the Original’ | Indiewire

“...it did not excite me, it betrayed the spirit of the original film: There is no fear, there is no music. The film has not satisfied me so much.”
Fine talk from a man who betrayed the spirit of original film with his own sequel, The Mother of Tears!
Old 23rd January 2019, 12:43 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Dario Argento isn't impressed!

Dario Argento Says ‘Suspiria’ Remake ‘Betrayed the Spirit of the Original’ | Indiewire

“...it did not excite me, it betrayed the spirit of the original film: There is no fear, there is no music. The film has not satisfied me so much.”
It made under $6.4m worldwide so i doubt he'll have to worry about Inferno getting a remake any time soon.
Old 23rd January 2019, 06:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The exciting parts are swamped by a mixture of tricks and the use of music. Which you could say about the original ... if you were being uncharitable ahem. At the end of this decade ... let's see who flys a banner for it ...

I'm still blaming Spring y'ken?

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 24th January 2019, 03:02 PM
Active Cultist

i have watched some of it on iTunes(usa),I got 17 minutes in to it.
I found it to be the longest most painful 17 minutes of my life and i have had kidney stones.

0/10. No style,No colours except brown, The music is so wrong there are no words to describe it.
Old 24th January 2019, 03:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Only good thing about a bad remake is it makes some people seek out the original if they've never seen it .
Old 2nd March 2019, 01:38 PM
Cult Master

Strangely, the 'Suspiria' remake in included in this list - Top 10 Most Disturbing Horror Movies Of All Time | Horror News .net

The reasoning contains spoilers, so...

"Judging by whether or not you believe that the remake comes even close to the original 1977 movie of the same name, this addition to the list may confuse you. In the 2018 remake of Suspiria, the story of Susie Bannion unfolds as she arrives in 1970s Cold War Berlin so that she can attend the prestigious Tanz Akademie ran by the mysterious Madame Blanc. A spate of disappearances occur on-site and it soon becomes obvious that the academy is host to a coven of witches. Throughout the movie, we see them pick off people, twisting their limbs and contorting their bodies in the most cringe-inducing pain possible, but what makes the 2018 remake of Suspiria truly deserve its spot on this list is
SPOILER:
the movie’s truly ghastly finale. Deviating from the source material, in the finale it is revealed that Susie is the real Helena Markos (the head witch) and she proceeds to slaughter the witch who is acting as an impostor and then slaughters every last person in the room in a truly beautiful symphony of gore with a smooth spattering of blood in every direction. This isn’t a movie with a happy ending and, if the reactions from cinemagoers who witnessed this for the first time are anything to go by, will stay with you for a long time.

For those interested, the other titles on the list are the usual suspects:
  • A Serbian Film
  • Anthropophagus
  • Cannibal Holocaust
  • Melancholie Der Engel (aka The Angel’s Melancholia)
  • Guinea Pig: Flower Of Flesh And Blood
  • August Underground trilogy
  • Vomit Gore trilogy
  • Audition
  • Hostel

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 2nd March 2019, 03:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I see the remake is out on blu in america, any word on a uk dvd/blu release? Didn't play at my local cinema & i don't stream.
Old 3rd March 2019, 01:59 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
I see the remake is out on blu in america, any word on a uk dvd/blu release? Didn't play at my local cinema & i don't stream.
I imported because I'd read the people behind the theatrical release (Mubi?) have no home video division. I think it was just speculation, but it was cheap enough to import. I think it's region locked though, if you're not region free.
Old 3rd March 2019, 10:54 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Strangely, the 'Suspiria' remake in included in this list - Top 10 Most Disturbing Horror Movies Of All Time | Horror News .net

The reasoning contains spoilers, so...

"Judging by whether or not you believe that the remake comes even close to the original 1977 movie of the same name, this addition to the list may confuse you. In the 2018 remake of Suspiria, the story of Susie Bannion unfolds as she arrives in 1970s Cold War Berlin so that she can attend the prestigious Tanz Akademie ran by the mysterious Madame Blanc. A spate of disappearances occur on-site and it soon becomes obvious that the academy is host to a coven of witches. Throughout the movie, we see them pick off people, twisting their limbs and contorting their bodies in the most cringe-inducing pain possible, but what makes the 2018 remake of Suspiria truly deserve its spot on this list is
SPOILER:
the movie’s truly ghastly finale. Deviating from the source material, in the finale it is revealed that Susie is the real Helena Markos (the head witch) and she proceeds to slaughter the witch who is acting as an impostor and then slaughters every last person in the room in a truly beautiful symphony of gore with a smooth spattering of blood in every direction. This isn’t a movie with a happy ending and, if the reactions from cinemagoers who witnessed this for the first time are anything to go by, will stay with you for a long time.

For those interested, the other titles on the list are the usual suspects:
  • A Serbian Film
  • Anthropophagus
  • Cannibal Holocaust
  • Melancholie Der Engel (aka The Angel’s Melancholia)
  • Guinea Pig: Flower Of Flesh And Blood
  • August Underground trilogy
  • Vomit Gore trilogy
  • Audition
  • Hostel

Lightweights ...

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 3rd March 2019, 04:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post

Lightweights ...
Exactly I haven't seen the film but doubt it be worse than films like Grotesque , Human Centipede 2 , Henry portrait of a serial killer , just first few films that came to my mind but I'm sure there a lot worse out there, I certainly wouldn't put hostel or Audition up there on the list either.

Like this? Share it using the links below!