Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 2010's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=556)
-   -   Suspiria (2018) (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/2010s/13594-suspiria-2018-a.html)

mr 420 18th May 2017 09:26 PM

Suspiria (2018)

What's the thoughts on this anticipated remake? Are they setting themselves up for a fall or will they manage to produce something fresh and original?

It does have a strong line-up with Dakota Johnson, Chloe Grace Moritz, Tilda Swindon and even Jessica Harper making an appearance. Thom Yorke has done the score, which should be interesting to hear and I do hope that there is a nod to Goblin in there.

I'm going to give it a chance as it can't be any worse than Dario's own output over the past few years. :nod:

trebor8273 18th May 2017 09:28 PM

I'm not expecting much but as you say it can't be worse than his own movies of late.

mr 420 18th May 2017 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 534286)
I'm not expecting much but as you say it can't be worse than his own movies of late.

I wonder if they will in some way try to replicate the colour scheme of the original?

trebor8273 18th May 2017 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr 420 (Post 534287)
I wonder if they will in some way try to replicate the colour scheme of the original?

I think they will, it was a very important part of the style of the original

mr 420 18th May 2017 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 534288)
I think they will, it was a very important part of the style of the original

Very true, Trebs. :nod: I would love to see it in 3D, only if was done really well though. I don't think that there's been a really good 3D horror film in the recent past, has there?

Make Them Die Slowly 18th May 2017 09:37 PM

Quote:

I hope they reference it but don't copy it.

Remakes are re tricky at the best of times but as the original is so visual, it would make sense to use some of its colour.

mr 420 18th May 2017 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 534290)

Remakes are re tricky at the best of times but as the original is so visual, it would make sense to use some of its colour.

I really hope that it's not going to be like one of those Christmas mornings as a kid, where you're hoping for something great and all you get is tat. :nono:

Make Them Die Slowly 18th May 2017 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr 420 (Post 534291)
I really hope that it's not going to be like one of those Christmas mornings as a kid, where you're hoping for something great and all you get is tat. :nono:

Haha!

Demoncrat 18th May 2017 10:06 PM

I will watch the trailer
Then laugh my arse off
And that will be that.
It shall join the Cage Wicker Man as a film I will never watch. :nod:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 18th May 2017 10:07 PM

Three words.

**** AND OFF!

Original IS best.One and only. :hail:

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th May 2017 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 534290)

I'd film it in black and white. :nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th May 2017 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 534306)
I'd film it in black and white. :nod:

You may think i was kidding. However i doubt anyone could compete with Argento's vision so yes, black and white.

I'd focus on the witchery, make it Gothic and scary, almost noir like with it's atmosphere.

Make Them Die Slowly 18th May 2017 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 534315)
You may think i was kidding. However i doubt anyone could compete with Argento's vision so yes, black and white.

I'd focus on the witchery, make it Gothic and scary, almost noir like with it's atmosphere.

I hope they focus more on the dancing and make it more like THE RED SHOES but stabby.

Genre fans are going to hate it no matter what and mainstream viewers will avoid it being unable to pronounce it when buying tickets.

SymbioticFunction 19th May 2017 02:48 AM

Quote:

Apparently it won't feature any strong colour schemes at all. When I heard that, I lost all interest in this project. :nono:

Susan Foreman 19th May 2017 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 534321)
I hope they focus more on the dancing and make it more like THE RED SHOES but stabby.

Genre fans are going to hate it no matter what and mainstream viewers will avoid it being unable to pronounce it when buying tickets.

What are you on about?

"Can I have a ticket for 'Sue's Spire A' please"

A perfectly reasonable request

Susan Foreman 26th October 2018 03:49 PM

Is this really the poster?

Good grief!!

Demoncrat 27th October 2018 02:11 AM

That looks like an ice cream. My last word on the subject.

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th October 2018 09:52 AM

That tagline - Let Mother Take Care of You.

*shudder*

Hammer time 27th October 2018 12:00 PM

It's 2 and a half hours long :graveconcern:

Susan Foreman 23rd January 2019 05:18 AM

Dario Argento isn't impressed!

Dario Argento Says ‘Suspiria’ Remake ‘Betrayed the Spirit of the Original’ | Indiewire

“...it did not excite me, it betrayed the spirit of the original film: There is no fear, there is no music. The film has not satisfied me so much.”

Paul@TheOverlook 23rd January 2019 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 596543)

Dario Argento Says ‘Suspiria’ Remake ‘Betrayed the Spirit of the Original’ | Indiewire

“...it did not excite me, it betrayed the spirit of the original film: There is no fear, there is no music. The film has not satisfied me so much.”

Fine talk from a man who betrayed the spirit of original film with his own sequel, The Mother of Tears! :D

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd January 2019 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 596543)

It made under $6.4m worldwide so i doubt he'll have to worry about Inferno getting a remake any time soon.

Demoncrat 23rd January 2019 05:25 PM

The exciting parts are swamped by a mixture of tricks and the use of music. Which you could say about the original :behindsofa: ... if you were being uncharitable ahem. At the end of this decade ... let's see who flys a banner for it ... ;)

I'm still blaming Spring y'ken? :laugh:

Hammer time 24th January 2019 02:02 PM

i have watched some of it on iTunes(usa),I got 17 minutes in to it.
I found it to be the longest most painful 17 minutes of my life and i have had kidney stones.

0/10. No style,No colours except brown, The music is so wrong there are no words to describe it.

gag 24th January 2019 02:23 PM

Only good thing about a bad remake is it makes some people seek out the original if they've never seen it .

Susan Foreman 2nd March 2019 12:38 PM

Strangely, the 'Suspiria' remake in included in this list - Top 10 Most Disturbing Horror Movies Of All Time | Horror News .net

The reasoning contains spoilers, so...

"Judging by whether or not you believe that the remake comes even close to the original 1977 movie of the same name, this addition to the list may confuse you. In the 2018 remake of Suspiria, the story of Susie Bannion unfolds as she arrives in 1970s Cold War Berlin so that she can attend the prestigious Tanz Akademie ran by the mysterious Madame Blanc. A spate of disappearances occur on-site and it soon becomes obvious that the academy is host to a coven of witches. Throughout the movie, we see them pick off people, twisting their limbs and contorting their bodies in the most cringe-inducing pain possible, but what makes the 2018 remake of Suspiria truly deserve its spot on this list is
SPOILER:
the movie’s truly ghastly finale. Deviating from the source material, in the finale it is revealed that Susie is the real Helena Markos (the head witch) and she proceeds to slaughter the witch who is acting as an impostor and then slaughters every last person in the room in a truly beautiful symphony of gore with a smooth spattering of blood in every direction. This isn’t a movie with a happy ending and, if the reactions from cinemagoers who witnessed this for the first time are anything to go by, will stay with you for a long time.

For those interested, the other titles on the list are the usual suspects:
  • A Serbian Film
  • Anthropophagus
  • Cannibal Holocaust
  • Melancholie Der Engel (aka The Angel’s Melancholia)
  • Guinea Pig: Flower Of Flesh And Blood
  • August Underground trilogy
  • Vomit Gore trilogy
  • Audition
  • Hostel

Nostalgic 2nd March 2019 02:05 PM

I see the remake is out on blu in america, any word on a uk dvd/blu release? Didn't play at my local cinema & i don't stream.

BAKA 3rd March 2019 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostalgic (Post 598934)
I see the remake is out on blu in america, any word on a uk dvd/blu release? Didn't play at my local cinema & i don't stream.

I imported because I'd read the people behind the theatrical release (Mubi?) have no home video division. I think it was just speculation, but it was cheap enough to import. I think it's region locked though, if you're not region free.

Demoncrat 3rd March 2019 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 598933)
Strangely, the 'Suspiria' remake in included in this list - Top 10 Most Disturbing Horror Movies Of All Time | Horror News .net

The reasoning contains spoilers, so...

"Judging by whether or not you believe that the remake comes even close to the original 1977 movie of the same name, this addition to the list may confuse you. In the 2018 remake of Suspiria, the story of Susie Bannion unfolds as she arrives in 1970s Cold War Berlin so that she can attend the prestigious Tanz Akademie ran by the mysterious Madame Blanc. A spate of disappearances occur on-site and it soon becomes obvious that the academy is host to a coven of witches. Throughout the movie, we see them pick off people, twisting their limbs and contorting their bodies in the most cringe-inducing pain possible, but what makes the 2018 remake of Suspiria truly deserve its spot on this list is
SPOILER:
the movie’s truly ghastly finale. Deviating from the source material, in the finale it is revealed that Susie is the real Helena Markos (the head witch) and she proceeds to slaughter the witch who is acting as an impostor and then slaughters every last person in the room in a truly beautiful symphony of gore with a smooth spattering of blood in every direction. This isn’t a movie with a happy ending and, if the reactions from cinemagoers who witnessed this for the first time are anything to go by, will stay with you for a long time.

For those interested, the other titles on the list are the usual suspects:
  • A Serbian Film
  • Anthropophagus
  • Cannibal Holocaust
  • Melancholie Der Engel (aka The Angel’s Melancholia)
  • Guinea Pig: Flower Of Flesh And Blood
  • August Underground trilogy
  • Vomit Gore trilogy
  • Audition
  • Hostel

:laugh:
Lightweights ...

gag 3rd March 2019 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 598968)
:laugh:
Lightweights ...

Exactly I haven't seen the film but doubt it be worse than films like Grotesque , Human Centipede 2 , Henry portrait of a serial killer , just first few films that came to my mind but I'm sure there a lot worse out there, I certainly wouldn't put hostel or Audition up there on the list either.

Demoncrat 4th March 2019 12:43 PM

14 films in a top 10. Says it all really. The remake is a bit of this and a bit of that. Ultimately unsatisifying to my mind.

Justin101 18th August 2019 09:30 AM

I finally got around to watching this last night, and it was only the run time that delayed it, because frankly finding 153 minutes to watch a film can be difficult.

I liked it, I decided that when I watched it I would not think about the original while I did, and apart from the names and a couple of plot beats it’s not trying to be a traditional ‘remake’ at all.

Those who gave up part way in must have gone in with ‘go on impress me’ mindset and it’s not that kind of film at all. It’s slow and meandering and if you go along with it it’s like an incantation that we’re all involved in. All of which builds up to a climax that I’m afraid ruined it a bit for me, I saw what they were trying to achieve but the reliance on CGI blood was distracting and ultimately disappointing.

Contrary to opinions above I loved the slow build, the acting, the dancing, the cinematography and the soundtrack!

It’s not perfect, it’s not as good as Argento’s but it’s not shit either! Worth a watch.

gag 18th August 2019 12:40 PM

Haven't got round to watching it yet , but I will.
Sometimes you've got to films a chance and see them as a stand alone film before comparing to original otherwise if only comparing to original some film don't stand a chance , if seeing as a stand alone film some are way better than people give credit .
But sometimes can't help comparing we all do to some degree.