Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2010's

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th August 2009, 12:32 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs View Post
The last time a film was rejected by the BBFC was in April of this year when “NF713” (aka “Enemy Of The State”) was refused an 18 certificate. In February 2008 the film “Murder Set Pieces” was also rejected. Prior to that, the Board had not refused an 18 rating since 2005 when the film “Terrorists, Killers And Other Wackos”, a work made up of real clips of executions and torture, was turned down.
Texas Vibrator Massacre was also banned in August of last year, though this was possibly rejected for an R18 rather than an 18.

An appeal is always possible though I personally wouldn't recommend it. At the very most the film would then be passed with very heavy cuts indeed, making the UK DVD pretty pointless.
Old 19th August 2009, 12:53 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

It will be interesting to see if the film really wasn't cuttable as the BBFC claim.

The distributor would be wasting their time appealing. As the BBFC have said if the cuts are going be very extensive then issuing a certificate would be pointless.

It would be interesting to see how the film could be cut for an R because unlike the BBFC, the MPAA don't reject films (20m cut from the R rated Murder Set Pieces).
Old 19th August 2009, 05:35 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

the film would make no sense if it was cut and im sure it would be about 30mins long
Old 19th August 2009, 06:40 PM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitchslicer View Post
the film would make no sense if it was cut and im sure it would be about 30mins long
Agreed, not only that, you're cutting half of the movie out as well! Leads me to wonder if this will be a new entry in the notorious video nasties list.
Old 19th August 2009, 10:45 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Having watched "Grotesque",it's no great loss to the UK horror scene that it's been banned.It's slightly boring and has a comedy ending which undercuts the relentless scenes of torture that make up the bulk of the film.As to the film being banned due to the killer/torturer gaining sexual pleasure from the pain he inflicts,you'd never know as he's stoney faced through out and looks like he's having a right old belly ache of a time.It's only when he tells his victims that their struggles turn him on that you know he's a bit of a perv.Even in the scenes of sexual assault his face remains a mask.Still, I guess it is a slight improvement over all the gurning that passes for acting in a lot of underground torture/horror films.
Old 19th August 2009, 11:57 PM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Having watched "Grotesque",it's no great loss to the UK horror scene that it's been banned.It's slightly boring and has a comedy ending which undercuts the relentless scenes of torture that make up the bulk of the film.As to the film being banned due to the killer/torturer gaining sexual pleasure from the pain he inflicts,you'd never know as he's stoney faced through out and looks like he's having a right old belly ache of a time.It's only when he tells his victims that their struggles turn him on that you know he's a bit of a perv.Even in the scenes of sexual assault his face remains a mask.Still, I guess it is a slight improvement over all the gurning that passes for acting in a lot of underground torture/horror films.
agree with you there. That ending made me laugh out loud
Old 20th August 2009, 07:00 AM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsic4slipknotxx View Post
Leads me to wonder if this will be a new entry in the notorious video nasties list.

The actual list - No, as it's set in stone circa 1984.

The Wikipedia Video Nasties List - Yes, as anyone with a keyboard and a fascination with horror seems to add any movie that has had any mild controversy associated with it (along with Howard The Duck)
Old 20th August 2009, 03:00 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

So the BBFC are still in the business of banning films. Seems the 'censor' tag still applies. I haven't seen it yet myself, so I can't pass comment. However, I personally think that its banning will only increase its notoriety and hence desirability. Probably many people who would naver have even heard of it, let alone bothered to see it, will now try and see it. Censorship always seems to have the opposite of the desired effect!
Old 20th August 2009, 03:55 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

VERY well spoken- as everybody, who's been collecting "video nasties" (even the shitty ones) since the 80's will know by heart....
Old 20th August 2009, 04:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

They could have passed it if they felt it was worth doing so but with the cuts having to be so extensive it would have been pointless. Indeed people would have said with cuts like that they may as well have banned it.

Like this? Share it using the links below!