Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2010's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th May 2010, 04:56 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
I know the answer is quite obviously 'money', but why remake these movies?
Yep it's all about the money and the fact that the studios say American teenagers won't watch old movies,so they remake it all and take a huge dump over the memory of the originals.
Old 6th May 2010, 05:21 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdvds View Post
But as for the original, sorry BE, but I LUV the original. It's a great film, especially the uncut version. One of my fav video nasties (mind you, I do also luv Faces Of Death and I know a lot of people think that film is crap!).
I honestly found I Spit to be very boring. Also it was as if it had been directed and shot by a couple of 12 year olds too. This is coming from someone who likes their low budget, high violence exploitationers as much as the next asshole, but I just can't see what the fuss is about with I Spit. If it wasn't for the notoriety of the very long and fairly brutal rape, then it is my opinion that this film would have sunk to the bottom of the exploitation bin and for the most part, forgotten. Controversy = Recognition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdvds View Post
Each to their own.
Definitely matey. Things would be very boring if we all had the same opinion about everything.

It will be interesting to see how the remake deals with the rape, and whether the story will be fleshed out at all, or whether it will stick to the formula of the original.

I also have to say that I predominantly lie in the camp of: "If it ain't broke don't fix it" when it comes to the whole remake situaution, and agree with Goji and Vince that they almost seem to dirty the original and are at times simply cash cows for studios to fund other mundane projects. The main problem is that remakes are popular with the majority of the cinema goers at the moment, and remakes are here to stay unless people stop wanting to watch them; it's supply and demand after all.

However, I am in no-man's land on this as, in my eyes the original I Spit was a pretty dire waste of celluloid, so maybe, just maybe, I'll find the remake to better than the original.

I also agree with what iluv said in the fact that you can never judge a film until you've seen it, you can however make educated assumptions about it based on reviews, trailers, the script, the cast, and the director...
Old 6th May 2010, 07:58 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The rape scene in the Last House on the Left re-make was pretty brutal and tough going so I don't think they'll pull any punches with this.
Old 11th May 2010, 12:25 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
Surprisingly there hasn't been a UK release of the unrated My Bloody Valentine, despite the (awful) remake.
I wonder if that's because Paramount still own UK rights (it is their property) and since the unrated materials are in Lionsgate's possession that's why it hasn't been released over here. Especially as Paramount have a ridiculous policy of not releasing films in their unrated form - or, ar least, they used to. That might have changed since they put out the unrated Friday the 13th recently. But to release it uncut over here would presumably mean licensing materials from Lionsgate and I'm not sure they'd do that.
Old 11th May 2010, 12:35 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

I aint seen I spit in a while now and dont really know if I liked it or not when I first saw it , but I think the remake of Last House has something to do with this as they both were 70s rape revenge flicks and Last House remake was decent. The rape in I Spit was more disturbing while Last House had a more violent but still hard to watch scene.

I dont see them keeping a very long rape scene in the remake so it will probs be a short rape and rest of the movie be a gory revenge flick.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 11th May 2010, 12:43 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

It's pretty pointless remaking this film IMO. Love it or hate it, there's no denying that Zarchi's horrific film takes no prisoners. Like Deodato's ferocious Cannibal Holocaust there's no room for sitting on the fence.

Also, Zarchi's film did at least have a point to make and had a philosophy behind it. The remake I'm sure will be all about box office takings (as is every film, but you know what I mean).

It's also curious to read the 'haters' saying they don't mind a remake, which leads us into an interesting area. Are we saying they can only remake films we, personally, don't like? Some would say they could improve on the original, whilst fans of the original will say it's perfect as it is.
Old 11th May 2010, 09:21 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I agree with what you are saying - the original I Spit on Your Grave was all about a certain time and place and is a truly original piece. That went for The Last House on the Left and that's why I didn't like the remake. I don't see any point in remaking this as there is absolutely nothing to be gained from an artistic viewpoint or any policital/social statement to be made.
Old 11th May 2010, 10:06 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I'm vaguably remembering Zarchi talking about a possible remake years ago in the butchered UK "I spit...'s" SE supplements- with different parties showing interest etc.

Something tells me he's probably still got a say (of sorts) in the remake and he doesn't exactly give the impresion that a new version of "I spit...." devoid of all its edge is something he'd have agreed with.

I any case, I'll stay curious and optimistic until the arrival of the feature at my nearest theatre screen or DVD store.
Old 12th May 2010, 07:25 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Atleast with most of the remakes we usually get a decent DVD release of the original movie but this time I doubt we will even get that.
Old 13th June 2010, 07:27 PM
Seasoned Cultist

hi,just joined so be gentle!i have seen the trailer for the remake of " i spit " and must admit it dont look good!but you cant judge a book by its cover as they say.however, i am fed up of remakes!there seems to be a remake every month and i spit is just jumping on the band wagon i think!this is a classic film,known as a video nasty just as lhotl was/is.i have not seen lhotl remake and dont think i will as you cant make a good/classic film better just by remakeing it.the youth of today may like it but for me the original i spit will always be the one.its the same with all the remake,friday,halloween,tcm the originals are the best.only exception is j/cs "the thing"?

Like this? Share it using the links below!