Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 2010's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=556)
-   -   Pointless Remake #7943 - I Spit on Your Grave - Discussion (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/2010s/2822-pointless-remake-7943-i-spit-your-grave-discussion.html)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 6th May 2010 08:07 AM

Pointless Remake #7943 - I Spit on Your Grave - Discussion

It looks as if it's been given the Saw/Hostel treatment, if this trailer is anything to go by.

I know the answer is quite obviously 'money', but why remake these movies?

vincenzo 6th May 2010 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu (Post 77747)

To cater for the easily pleased, and because Hollywood simply has nothing better to do. :ohwell:

Peter Neal 6th May 2010 11:50 AM

A bit early to write this one off as nobody has reviewed the full feature yet- but as with most recent remakes, it'll be a case of "If it's good, all the better; if it's bad, the original will be still with us anyway".:o

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 6th May 2010 11:52 AM

Too be honest I can't stand the original, so I doubt I'll go out of my way to see the remake. Although, I will be interested in reading the reviews on release. ;)

Gojirosan 6th May 2010 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Neal (Post 77778)
as with most recent remakes, it'll be a case of "If it's good, all the better; if it's bad, the original will be still with us anyway".:o

Gosh! That's very generous of you! I cannot see it like that. I see a bad remake as dirtying the original. Whenever I am talking to someone and I have to specify which version of The Wicker Man or Dawn Of The Dead I mean I die a little inside.

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 6th May 2010 11:59 AM

I haven't got much hope for this remake to be honest. Then again, I always say, you can never judge a film until you've actually seen it!

But as for the original, sorry BE, but I LUV the original. It's a great film, especially the uncut version. One of my fav video nasties (mind you, I do also luv Faces Of Death :laugh: and I know a lot of people think that film is crap!). Each to their own.

It'll be interesting, to say the least, to see what they'll do about the rape. I really doubt that it'll be soo predominant and as disturbing as the original. But we'll see.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 6th May 2010 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 77783)
Whenever I am talking to someone and I have to specify which version of The Wicker Man or Dawn Of The Dead I mean I die a little inside.

:pound:

There is only one Wicker Man! :mmph: :mob:

vincenzo 6th May 2010 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 77783)
I see a bad remake as dirtying the original.

Fully agree with you. To remake a film like this (which wasn't any good anyway) reeks of desperation and seems designed mainly for people who would prefer to see literally anything remade, rather than studios coming up with fresh ideas.

Originality seems to be on its last legs these days.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 6th May 2010 12:28 PM

It is a really bizarre title to remake though as the original was so controversial, disturbing and horrific. I can understand remaking slasher movies (Prom Night, Halloween, When a Stranger Calls etc.) as they can appeal to a wide audience, just as the originals did, but I Spit on Your Grave?

The only people who have heard of this will be those who've seen it and either love the original (so don't want to watch a remake) or hate the original (so don't want to see a remake).

As utterly pointless films go, this one is right up at the top of the list.

vincenzo 6th May 2010 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu (Post 77802)
The only people who have heard of this will be those who've seen it and either love the original (so don't want to watch a remake) or hate the original (so don't want to see a remake).

I'll go along with that. :nod:

Peter Neal 6th May 2010 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu (Post 77802)

Well, the "horror community" will probably never unite on this issue (guranteeing lots of lively debates to follow, which essentially is a good thing though:o), but I for one fall into the category, who know the original and like it, yet are still curious to see what angle the remake will bring to the table.:popcorn:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 6th May 2010 12:52 PM

Well, this member of the horror community isn't at all interested in what the filmmakers bring to the table!

As someone who is utterly sick of Michael Bay and his Platinum Dunes remake company, I don't know if I can even bring myself to go to the cinema and watch the Nightmare on Elm Street 'reimagining'. But that's something for another discussion!

Gojirosan 6th May 2010 12:59 PM

One good thing I could imagine coming from it is a re-evaluation of the original and - ideally - an overturning of the ridiculous censorship foisted upon the film in this country.

vincenzo 6th May 2010 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 77821)
an overturning of the ridiculous censorship foisted upon the film in this country.

Don't hold your breath.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 6th May 2010 01:05 PM

That argument always comes out when a pointless remake is announced and I really don't know if it works. This may prompt someone to try and re-release the original and trying get all previous cuts waived by the BBFC but, with the brilliant R1 version available, they are dealing with a pretty small audience.

Fingers crossed though!

Gojirosan 6th May 2010 01:06 PM

I'd be dead all ready if I had held my breath! I've spent over 20 years wondering just why they think the film needs censoring. Never found any explanation convincing.

Peter Neal 6th May 2010 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 77821)
One good thing I could imagine coming from it is a re-evaluation of the original and - ideally - an overturning of the ridiculous censorship foisted upon the film in this country.

As long as it'd not be a rerelease a la "Blackhorse", at least a halfway watchable version could probably get a chance of passing through these days. One never knows...;)

As for the hatred against the recent wave of mainstream remakes....I find that to be a total waste of energy, really, as there's good horror made in so many quarters outside Hollywood these days, I wouldn't make the future of the genre solely depending on some major fat cat's idea about "scary movies". :p

As long as "horror" is a hot item in the (Hollywood) mainstream, genre filmmakers all over the globe have it a lot easier to get their flicks financed and distributed- so we're profiting from whatever "Hollywood" is cooking up for the casual cinemagoers in any way. :nod:

vincenzo 6th May 2010 02:22 PM

BBFC case study here. They haven't seen the uncut version for almost 10 years now though, so a lot of the details will be outdated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu (Post 77824)
This may prompt someone to try and re-release the original and trying get all previous cuts waived by the BBFC but, with the brilliant R1 version available, they are dealing with a pretty small audience.

I'd like to see it resubmitted just to see what they'd make of it now. If there was a chance it would pass intact then it's worth a try but I can't see the sense due to it being a definite for cuts (which would be far less than before). Best way is to import the uncut version.

Surprisingly there hasn't been a UK release of the unrated My Bloody Valentine, despite the (awful) remake.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 6th May 2010 02:43 PM

I think there is a case for passing the film uncut as it is not, as the BBFC guidelines say, a film that eroticises sexual violence. Quite clearly to anyone who has seen the film, it does quite the opposite and makes sexual violence, in this rape (or, more particularly, gang rape) look utterly repellent with that scene in the woods quite difficult to sit through.

vincenzo 6th May 2010 02:47 PM

Death Wish II would be equally problematic for the BBFC. Possibly more so.

Stephen@Cult Labs 6th May 2010 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu (Post 77747)

Yep it's all about the money and the fact that the studios say American teenagers won't watch old movies,so they remake it all and take a huge dump over the memory of the originals.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 6th May 2010 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvdvds (Post 77786)
But as for the original, sorry BE, but I LUV the original. It's a great film, especially the uncut version. One of my fav video nasties (mind you, I do also luv Faces Of Death :laugh: and I know a lot of people think that film is crap!).

I honestly found I Spit to be very boring. Also it was as if it had been directed and shot by a couple of 12 year olds too. This is coming from someone who likes their low budget, high violence exploitationers as much as the next asshole, but I just can't see what the fuss is about with I Spit. If it wasn't for the notoriety of the very long and fairly brutal rape, then it is my opinion that this film would have sunk to the bottom of the exploitation bin and for the most part, forgotten. Controversy = Recognition.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvdvds (Post 77786)
Each to their own.

Definitely matey. Things would be very boring if we all had the same opinion about everything. :)

It will be interesting to see how the remake deals with the rape, and whether the story will be fleshed out at all, or whether it will stick to the formula of the original.

I also have to say that I predominantly lie in the camp of: "If it ain't broke don't fix it" when it comes to the whole remake situaution, and agree with Goji and Vince that they almost seem to dirty the original and are at times simply cash cows for studios to fund other mundane projects. The main problem is that remakes are popular with the majority of the cinema goers at the moment, and remakes are here to stay unless people stop wanting to watch them; it's supply and demand after all.

However, I am in no-man's land on this as, in my eyes the original I Spit was a pretty dire waste of celluloid, so maybe, just maybe, I'll find the remake to better than the original. :tongue1:

I also agree with what iluv said in the fact that you can never judge a film until you've seen it, you can however make educated assumptions about it based on reviews, trailers, the script, the cast, and the director... ;)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 6th May 2010 07:58 PM

The rape scene in the Last House on the Left re-make was pretty brutal and tough going so I don't think they'll pull any punches with this.

Daemonia 11th May 2010 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 77832)
Surprisingly there hasn't been a UK release of the unrated My Bloody Valentine, despite the (awful) remake.

I wonder if that's because Paramount still own UK rights (it is their property) and since the unrated materials are in Lionsgate's possession that's why it hasn't been released over here. Especially as Paramount have a ridiculous policy of not releasing films in their unrated form - or, ar least, they used to. That might have changed since they put out the unrated Friday the 13th recently. But to release it uncut over here would presumably mean licensing materials from Lionsgate and I'm not sure they'd do that.

nekromantik 11th May 2010 12:35 AM

I aint seen I spit in a while now and dont really know if I liked it or not when I first saw it :lol:, but I think the remake of Last House has something to do with this as they both were 70s rape revenge flicks and Last House remake was decent. The rape in I Spit was more disturbing while Last House had a more violent but still hard to watch scene.

I dont see them keeping a very long rape scene in the remake so it will probs be a short rape and rest of the movie be a gory revenge flick.

Daemonia 11th May 2010 12:43 AM

It's pretty pointless remaking this film IMO. Love it or hate it, there's no denying that Zarchi's horrific film takes no prisoners. Like Deodato's ferocious Cannibal Holocaust there's no room for sitting on the fence.

Also, Zarchi's film did at least have a point to make and had a philosophy behind it. The remake I'm sure will be all about box office takings (as is every film, but you know what I mean).

It's also curious to read the 'haters' saying they don't mind a remake, which leads us into an interesting area. Are we saying they can only remake films we, personally, don't like? Some would say they could improve on the original, whilst fans of the original will say it's perfect as it is.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 11th May 2010 09:21 AM

I agree with what you are saying - the original I Spit on Your Grave was all about a certain time and place and is a truly original piece. That went for The Last House on the Left and that's why I didn't like the remake. I don't see any point in remaking this as there is absolutely nothing to be gained from an artistic viewpoint or any policital/social statement to be made.

Peter Neal 11th May 2010 10:06 PM

I'm vaguably remembering Zarchi talking about a possible remake years ago in the butchered UK "I spit...'s" SE supplements- with different parties showing interest etc.

Something tells me he's probably still got a say (of sorts) in the remake and he doesn't exactly give the impresion that a new version of "I spit...." devoid of all its edge is something he'd have agreed with.

I any case, I'll stay curious and optimistic until the arrival of the feature at my nearest theatre screen or DVD store.:)

Gigantor 12th May 2010 07:25 AM

Atleast with most of the remakes we usually get a decent DVD release of the original movie but this time I doubt we will even get that.

dis 13th June 2010 07:27 PM

hi,just joined so be gentle!i have seen the trailer for the remake of " i spit " and must admit it dont look good!but you cant judge a book by its cover as they say.however, i am fed up of remakes!there seems to be a remake every month and i spit is just jumping on the band wagon i think!this is a classic film,known as a video nasty just as lhotl was/is.i have not seen lhotl remake and dont think i will as you cant make a good/classic film better just by remakeing it.the youth of today may like it but for me the original i spit will always be the one.its the same with all the remake,friday,halloween,tcm the originals are the best.only exception is j/cs "the thing"?