Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 2010's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=556)
-   -   Dario Argento's Dracula 3D (2012) (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/2010s/2853-dario-argentos-dracula-3d-2012-a.html)

Philleh 14th May 2010 01:41 PM

Here here, on paper this has the potential to be the comeback he needs - though saying that, so was Mother of Tears!

Gigantor 14th May 2010 01:48 PM

I just want to know if Asia is going to be naked in it?

Philleh 14th May 2010 01:53 PM

I'll second that.

Also, who could he cast? I'm all for him approaching Max von Sydow for Van Helsing.

Gojirosan 14th May 2010 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philleh (Post 79355)
I'm all for him approaching Max von Sydow for Van Helsing.

That would inherently make it the greatest Dracula film EVER.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 14th May 2010 03:45 PM

I'm also a fan of Coppola's version of Stoker's novel despite Keanu Reeves -- I love that cut when the film goes from Lucy being beheaded to Van Helsing serving up a bloody steak!

I hate 3-D with a passion and think that this could be worse than Mother of Tears and Phantom of the Opera combined. It's actually quite sad when you think what's happened to Argento's career of late as we used to think about how great his next film would be but now it's a case of damage limitation and wondering how bad it could be.

I think Dracula is all wrong for Argento as his films and more about the visuals than the narrative and this story is all about the different forms of storytelling and how each character describes what's happening. It's too wordy for Argento who, as has been said, would be the perfect guy to direct a zombie movie.

Pete 15th May 2010 07:39 AM

the producers are the guys who produed Bruno Mattei's dv films.

Gojirosan 15th May 2010 11:46 AM

I still think Mother Of Tears is great! Certainly Phantom Of The Opera was cack, and Giallo was below par (due to Adrien Brody mostly), but I just don't get what people have against Mother Of Tears!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th May 2010 12:51 PM

My only problem with Mother of Tears is as it pales in comparison to Suspiria and Inferno. It's not Dario Argento at his best and, if it was directed by anyone else, it really wouldn't be considered as anything better than an average horror film.

It's interesting enough and directed with all the visual flair you'd expect from an Argento picture, but it doesn't hold a candle to the first two instalments in the trilogy.

Gojirosan 15th May 2010 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu (Post 79590)
My only problem with Mother of Tears is as it pales in comparison to Suspiria and Inferno. It's not Dario Argento at his best and, if it was directed by anyone else, it really wouldn't be considered as anything better than an average horror film.

It's interesting enough and directed with all the visual flair you'd expect from an Argento picture, but it doesn't hold a candle to the first two instalments in the trilogy.

Back in the early 80s people said the same thing about Inferno in relation to Suspiria...I think I'll wait a few years then see what people think! :lol:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th May 2010 01:18 PM

Good point. I'll give it until 2020 and, if it is then recognised as a horror masterpiece, I'll admit I was wrong!

In the meantime, it probably deserves another watch as part of a "Three Mothers" triple bill.