Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2010's

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th October 2012, 09:46 AM
Cult Acolyte

I've never been a big fan of Argento.The only films of his I really rate are: Deep Red, Tenebrae and Phenomena.I find Suspiria and Inferno overrated.I haven't seen any of his more later films, and that includes: Opera, Trauma, The Stendhal Syndrome and Sleepless. I very much doubt I'll be seeking out his version of Dracula too.
Old 18th October 2012, 11:02 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampix View Post
I've never been a big fan of Argento.The only films of his I really rate are: Deep Red, Tenebrae and Phenomena.I find Suspiria and Inferno overrated.I haven't seen any of his more later films, and that includes: Opera, Trauma, The Stendhal Syndrome and Sleepless. I very much doubt I'll be seeking out his version of Dracula too.
I think you should try Opera at least, I thought that was pretty good. Stendhal has its moments, but I found it a bit of a mish-mash and seeing it again recently with its dated CGI FX it's obvious it hasn't aged well. Sleepless was almost a return to form, but didn't quite get there.

I agree with you on Deep Red and Tenebrae though. I also rather like Suspiria, I think it's very nightmarish and very effective and the maestro's magic is still in full force at this point. But my preference has always been for his earlier standard Giallo work (without the supernatural creeping in). Deep Red was the crowning achievement of this era. I was glad when he returned to this style with Tenebrae, dispensing with the fantastic and making it more real-world orientated.

Argento's work is a bit of a mixed bag, but I'd say that between 1969 and 1982 he never put a foot wrong IMO. Phenomena is one I've never been able to warm to, but that may have something to do with the awful heavy metal music that peppers the soundtrack and the more stilted than usual acting. The opening sequence is pure brilliance though, I'll admit that.
Old 18th October 2012, 11:18 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Don't listen to them George,you go for it.
Old 18th October 2012, 11:25 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonknight View Post
Don't listen to them George,you go for it.
Don't listen to who? I don't think anyone is going to take any notice of a bunch of fans on a horror forum. If - and it's a big if - Romero believes he can do justice to Argento's greatest work, then go for it. What's the betting it'll turn into Deep Red of the Dead?

Personally I don't believe that Romero can improve on this masterpiece and I think he's a bit delusional if he thinks he can.
Old 18th October 2012, 11:30 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I thought the remake of Deep Red was old news and Romero has since stated he's not going on with it? A remake of Deep Red is bad enough an idea but in 3D too? No thanks
Old 18th October 2012, 11:41 AM
Seasoned Cultist

No way am I gonna spend a cent on this (well maybe a very few on day ), after I have seen the first trailer a while back, I found proof of what I dreaded, even worse than the dung he provided (his Masters of Horror pieces excluded!) in the last years. The Card Player was worse than many tedious TV films of that kind, Mother of Tears was just bad in all means and I had to stop Giallo in the middle and never came back to it... I have not even bothered with that Hitchcock thing yet... Sleepless was his last movie that had strong stuff in it, especially the beginning in the train - if I remember correctly, that was stunning!

Sad demise of a genious, probably aftereffects of what made his old films so colourful...

OT: I have not given up on Romero though - despite the really horrible Survival otD - but it still has a double entry in my shelf, since the US BD has more special features...
Old 18th October 2012, 11:49 AM
Cult Acolyte

Deep Red should never be remade, even by Romero.The original is a classic that has all of its ingredients completely spot on.Who, for instance, could replace the incredible Goblin score? And who could ever replace the late, great David Hemmings in the lead role?
Old 18th October 2012, 12:18 PM
Ex-member

i read and its a great shame that the Yanks presumably, will be remaking DEEP RED, BIRD WITH THE CRYSTAL PLUMAGE and TENEBRE, and maybe others
Old 18th October 2012, 01:10 PM
Cult Acolyte

Who cares - I won't be watching any of em for sure (probably) - that David Gordon Green Suspiria remake seems to have been in production for yonks - wonder what's happening with that . . . ?
Old 18th October 2012, 03:28 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I listed before the numerous reasons I think Argento actually needs to do this. Make money enough to make a film he really wants to make, expose his fans to a new audience. Some big super editions of his older films for us

Like this? Share it using the links below!