Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2010's

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th March 2013, 02:06 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by platostotal View Post
Damn, I was hoping he'd improve the film after that dodgy trailer, oh well...
I am probably the biggest Argento fan you'll ever meet and it pained me watching that. The production was horrible, Simonetti's score was incredibly bad. It was Manos level of badness.

I am literally sitting here stunned me and my GF are both shocked at how bad the film was.

I just would like to see him make one more film, something decent. Don't want his career ending with a movie that looked worse than the Bare Wench Project.
Steel76 and zane like this.
Old 19th March 2013, 02:48 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Very disheartening to hear but I can't say I'm surprised. I'd rather him just hang them up than continue to tarnish his filmography.
Old 19th March 2013, 10:00 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I watched this last night... here's my review: ‘Dracula 3D’ review by bizarre_eye • Letterboxd
Old 19th March 2013, 11:59 AM
Cult Master

It's online here - Watch Dracula (2012) Online for Free - Viooz

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 19th March 2013, 12:19 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Unfortunately, It really is awful and this is coming from someone who found something to enjoy in both Mother Of Tears and Giallo. Whereas those two films had moments of unintentional comedy and as a result are moderately entertaining, Dracula is just dull. It's also a very odd film, on the one hand it's a fairly faithful adaptation, on the other the Count turns into a giant Praying Mantis. It's pretty bloody for a Dracula film, although the gore is so poorly done it's instantly forgettable, there is a gunshot scene that apes the one in The Stendhal Syndrome but pales in comparison. There's quite a bit of nudity, including Asia which is now just starting to get creepy.

Overall, it's just about worth watching out of a sense of curiosity, there are moments when tonally it's similar to Hammer but those moments are fleeting.
Old 19th March 2013, 12:33 PM
Cult Acolyte

He really should know better, he has a great eye for film but just seems not to bother anymore, wonder what the man himself thinks of his recent work, tho it does leave room for a stunning comeback(make it soon tho) where has our Dario gone?
Old 19th March 2013, 12:58 PM
Active Cultist

I've watched the first 10 minutes - are we sure this isn't a Nigel Wingrove movie? Horrible cheap DV camerawork, big gratuitous tits, no sense of atmosphere, laughable acting, cheesy theremin sounds, cartoon animals. He even stooped to ripping off the scene in Inferno where the apparent rescuer turns out to be a bad un. As Sick Boy put it Argento - had it, lost it, can't hack it anymore. Sad to be honest, he's making a fool of himself here.
Steel76 likes this.
Old 19th March 2013, 01:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Not even going to bother watching this from what's been posted, what's happened to this once great man?
Steel76 likes this.
Old 19th March 2013, 04:03 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Just finished it and it is indeed an utter stinker. Giallo was a load of arse but at least it almost looked like a proper film. This just reeks of cheapness, largely down to the tatty DV cinematography where everything is constantly in focus (a result of shooting in 3D and Darios inexperience with digital cinematography I guess). Just woeful.
Old 19th March 2013, 04:26 PM
Cult Addict

I'll watch it tonight. Better get at least a giggle out of me or i'll be pissed tomorrow.

DVD and BD collection

Like this? Share it using the links below!