Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2010's

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd March 2013, 11:03 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Just curious...any word on this getting ANY KIND OF RELEASE AT ALL in the UK?

Rob Zombie's Lords of Salem has gone straight to dvd (not even a blu release!!!), and yet Paranormal Activity 5, and remakes of Carrie and The Evil Dead threaten the future of our cinema screens!

I'm not expecting much from Drac 3D, but seriously, can we have a little more than franchises in cinemas & direct-to-dvd garbage filling up the Sainsburys £8.99 section!
Old 23rd March 2013, 11:23 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
Just curious...any word on this getting ANY KIND OF RELEASE AT ALL in the UK?

Rob Zombie's Lords of Salem has gone straight to dvd (not even a blu release!!!), and yet Paranormal Activity 5, and remakes of Carrie and The Evil Dead threaten the future of our cinema screens!

I'm not expecting much from Drac 3D, but seriously, can we have a little more than franchises in cinemas & direct-to-dvd garbage filling up the Sainsburys £8.99 section!
Previews etc of evil dead of been actually very good, maybe we should actually see something before we judge it? Ok it's a given the paranormal activity 5 will be crap, but the others might be good, look at maniac a fantastic remake and stands on its own merits, it could be because of people judging it, is the reason it seems to be doing so poorly
Steel76 likes this.
Old 23rd March 2013, 11:28 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

The Evil Dead remake is tipped to be the Horror of the year, not one bad review yet
Steel76 and trebor8273 like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 23rd March 2013, 11:40 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I get it, let's see everything before deciding if it's any good, however, horror perhaps needs a new cycle to go through. cinematically, I know it's a genre of imitation, but we're stuck in the "from the producers of Insidious" phase at the moment (didn't Japan and Korea exhaust that with the Ring/Dark Water/Whispering stairs/50 million other ghost stories), so I would dearly love to see something "different".

Ironically, Drac 3D being a remake of sorts, and Lords of Salem looking like Suspiria in many shots is not a problem. Evil Dead, I'm sure, has been brought out as a result of the success of "Cabin in the Woods" (and yes, I loved it as meta-horror, but it wasn't scary, merely fun in the films/ideas it referenced), and the majority of people who go & see this remake will be blissfully unaware that there were 3 previous Evil Dead movies.

Hell, most people I speak to just about know about Dawn of the Dead ("Yeah, is that the one with Ving Rhames?") and are completely unaware of Romero's original trilogy. the closest they come are having seen Sean of the Dead, thinking it's a horror film & going to see Resident Evil or Underworld once a new one gets CGI'd into cinemas.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Alex Aja's Maniac remake, as most of his remakes have come out well (HHE & Piranah), but a real "audience" for horror (as I knew it) is dead.

It must be me getting nostalgic, but I will find it rather amusing seeing a commercial remake of the Evil Dead while Sam Raimi's "Oz The Great And Powerful" plays in the screen next door, lol!
Old 23rd March 2013, 12:20 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I think there's always been a very small audience for horror as it's generally been considered a 'disreputable' genre, so it's no surprise so many are DTV releases with only big names being screened theatrically.

Hopefully, those who watch the Dawn of the Dead, Evil Dead and Maniac remakes and films like Shaun of the Dead and The Cabin in the Woods will then want to watch the original Dawn of the Dead (and the others in the trilogy), the Evil Dead films and Maniac and then become interested in other classic horror films.
Old 23rd March 2013, 12:44 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post

I'm really looking forward to seeing Alex Aja's Maniac remake, as most of his remakes have come out well (HHE & Piranah), but a real "audience" for horror (as I knew it) is dead.
It's excellent, but credit to the director Franck Khalfoun and cinematographer Maxime Alexandre, who worked on Switchblade Romance and The Hills Have Eyes among others. Aja produced (along with William Lustig and others) and shared screenwriting credits, although it does have his quality badge stamped all over it (let's ignore Mirrors in that statement).
Old 23rd March 2013, 01:37 PM
Cult Acolyte

I thought Khalfoun/Aja's P2 was alright too . . .
Old 23rd March 2013, 01:59 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Yeah, it wasn't bad at all.
Old 23rd March 2013, 03:48 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
I didn't like it that much – it's probably the weakest film they've made.
Old 23rd March 2013, 04:01 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I didn't like it that much – it's probably the weakest film they've made.
Yeah it's no classic, but I was impressed by the nasty streak it had. The one scene that sticks in my mind is the bit where they guy gets repeatedly squashed against the wall by the car - clearly inspired by Torso . . . !

Like this? Share it using the links below!