Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 2010's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=556)
-   -   Dario Argento's Dracula 3D (2012) (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/2010s/2853-dario-argentos-dracula-3d-2012-a.html)

darthelvis 13th May 2010 06:57 PM

Dario Argento's Dracula 3D (2012)

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/20204

This sounds like a terrible, terrible idea!!!!:doh:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 13th May 2010 07:00 PM

3D-Definetly.But I think an Argento take on the oft-filmed tale would be interesting indeed.:nod:

As long as he had free reign and no studio interference.....

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 13th May 2010 07:01 PM

Well, one thing's for sure. It cannot be worse than Giallo

(Hopefully)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 13th May 2010 07:04 PM

When's that out on DVD?

Until I see it,I'll give the old dog the benefit of the doubt....:behindsofa:

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 13th May 2010 07:09 PM

It's on Amazon mate - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Giallo-Adrie...3777691&sr=1-1 though I don't know much about this DVD.

It's a lot of fun....unintentional fun that is.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 13th May 2010 07:12 PM

Cheers Kyle! :)

Thirty quid with a cover like that?

Looks like something you'd get free in a woman's weekly mag.....One of those attrocious afternoon tv movies.....:puke:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 13th May 2010 07:14 PM

I predict another Phantom of the Opera fiasco! :fear: :laugh:

Gojirosan 13th May 2010 07:14 PM

A faintly interesting idea...if Dracula wasn't so done-to-undeath. I mean, wasn't Coppolla's Bram Stoker's Dracula painful enough?

But then Dario has always loved the classic tales.

I'd rather he did some more Poe - I reckon Pit And The Pendulum lends itself to some sweet 3-D shots!

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 13th May 2010 07:15 PM

:pound: :pound: The cover is terrible! There was a better poster for the film, several yellow knifes, I believe.

AND the DVD has permanent Polish subtitles! Pah!

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 13th May 2010 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 79167)
A faintly interesting idea...if Dracula wasn't so done-to-undeath. I mean, wasn't Coppolla's Bram Stoker's Dracula painful enough?

But then Dario has always loved the classic tales.

I'd rather he did some more Poe - I reckon Pit And The Pendulum lends itself to some sweet 3-D shots!

Urgh! Ford Coppolla's Dracula was terrible! I hate that film with a passion. :laugh:

I'm with you on the Poe idea however - can't go wrong like a nice bit of Poe.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 13th May 2010 07:17 PM

I'd love to see Argento try his hand at a zombie movie. :nod:

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 13th May 2010 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye (Post 79172)
I'd love to see Argento try his hand at a zombie movie. :nod:

Yes. Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. Yes? YES! Yes. Yes. Yes. YES YES YES YES! Yes, yes, yes, yes. YES! Yes!

Me too.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 13th May 2010 07:39 PM

Coppola's Dracula bull?-Bollocks! A visually sumptuous film.Fantastic.;)

Another Phantom fiasco B.E.?

I'd go more towards Andy Warhol's Dracula.....:nod:

Gojirosan 13th May 2010 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man (Post 79191)
Coppola's Dracula bull?-Bollocks! A visually sumptuous film.Fantastic.;)

A visually sumptuous (some might say "over-stylised" instead!) film containing abysmal performances from Oldman, Hopkins, Reeves and Ryder which goes on for sodding ever and contains not a tenth of the fun, frissons or visual glory that Terence Fisher managed to get into 80 minutes.

Dreadful stuff!

:laugh:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 13th May 2010 07:45 PM

Hopkins was only ever bettered by Cushing as Van Helsing!

Not anywhere near the same league as Fisher,but still class all the same...we'll just need to agree to disagree.:happy:

vincenzo 13th May 2010 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man (Post 79198)

I like Edward Van Sloan in the Universal ones, and Frank Finlay was pretty good in the hugely underrated Louis Jourdan version.

Laurence Olivier was outright appalling. :ack:

broonage 14th May 2010 08:55 AM

Coppola's Dracula is an amazing film. One of the better horror films of the 90s.

Philleh 14th May 2010 09:18 AM

I have to agree, brilliant movie - small issue with a certain miss-cast Reeves aside - it's one of 90's horror finest achievements.

Great, great, great score too.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 14th May 2010 11:43 AM

Yeah I like Coppola's Dracula too. Easily the best Dracula film in the last 20 years. :nod:

broonage 14th May 2010 01:03 PM

I hope DA goes back on form with this. He needs to!

Philleh 14th May 2010 01:41 PM

Here here, on paper this has the potential to be the comeback he needs - though saying that, so was Mother of Tears!

Gigantor 14th May 2010 01:48 PM

I just want to know if Asia is going to be naked in it?

Philleh 14th May 2010 01:53 PM

I'll second that.

Also, who could he cast? I'm all for him approaching Max von Sydow for Van Helsing.

Gojirosan 14th May 2010 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philleh (Post 79355)
I'm all for him approaching Max von Sydow for Van Helsing.

That would inherently make it the greatest Dracula film EVER.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 14th May 2010 03:45 PM

I'm also a fan of Coppola's version of Stoker's novel despite Keanu Reeves -- I love that cut when the film goes from Lucy being beheaded to Van Helsing serving up a bloody steak!

I hate 3-D with a passion and think that this could be worse than Mother of Tears and Phantom of the Opera combined. It's actually quite sad when you think what's happened to Argento's career of late as we used to think about how great his next film would be but now it's a case of damage limitation and wondering how bad it could be.

I think Dracula is all wrong for Argento as his films and more about the visuals than the narrative and this story is all about the different forms of storytelling and how each character describes what's happening. It's too wordy for Argento who, as has been said, would be the perfect guy to direct a zombie movie.

Pete 15th May 2010 07:39 AM

the producers are the guys who produed Bruno Mattei's dv films.

Gojirosan 15th May 2010 11:46 AM

I still think Mother Of Tears is great! Certainly Phantom Of The Opera was cack, and Giallo was below par (due to Adrien Brody mostly), but I just don't get what people have against Mother Of Tears!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th May 2010 12:51 PM

My only problem with Mother of Tears is as it pales in comparison to Suspiria and Inferno. It's not Dario Argento at his best and, if it was directed by anyone else, it really wouldn't be considered as anything better than an average horror film.

It's interesting enough and directed with all the visual flair you'd expect from an Argento picture, but it doesn't hold a candle to the first two instalments in the trilogy.

Gojirosan 15th May 2010 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu (Post 79590)
My only problem with Mother of Tears is as it pales in comparison to Suspiria and Inferno. It's not Dario Argento at his best and, if it was directed by anyone else, it really wouldn't be considered as anything better than an average horror film.

It's interesting enough and directed with all the visual flair you'd expect from an Argento picture, but it doesn't hold a candle to the first two instalments in the trilogy.

Back in the early 80s people said the same thing about Inferno in relation to Suspiria...I think I'll wait a few years then see what people think! :lol:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th May 2010 01:18 PM

Good point. I'll give it until 2020 and, if it is then recognised as a horror masterpiece, I'll admit I was wrong!

In the meantime, it probably deserves another watch as part of a "Three Mothers" triple bill.

P-Mac 15th May 2010 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man (Post 79198)

Not anywhere near the same league as Fisher,but still class all the same...we'll just need to agree to disagree.:happy:

No one can hold a candle to Cushing. He is the definitve Van Helsing, just as Lee is the greatest Dracula ever!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th May 2010 01:45 PM

Max Schreck is the greatest Dracula of all time, even if his character was named Count Orlock for legal reasons. Peter Cushing is everything you want in a van Helsing: determined, cool under pressure and pretty suave. Anthony Hopkins really did camp up for the character in the Coppola version, chewing the scenery as if he hadn't eaten for a fortnight!

Gojirosan 15th May 2010 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu (Post 79609)
Anthony Hopkins really did camp up for the character in the Coppola version, chewing the scenery as if he hadn't eaten for a fortnight!

Indeed. I wanted to throw things at the screen. He often makes me want to do that. A very over-rated actor.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th May 2010 01:54 PM

He is the master of the wandering accent as well, as you never quite sure where his character is supposed to be from. I don't know if you've seen Robin Hood, but Russell Crowe has obviously been taking lessons from Anthony Hopkins when it comes to voice coaching as he lurches around from Irish to Scouse and even a bit of Geordie!

This is a hell of a digression from where we started, with the announcement that Dario Argento was going to do a 3-D Dracula -- how do these things happen?! Is it time to get back on topic?

Gojirosan 15th May 2010 01:57 PM

Pfft! On Topic is for the anal!

It's all (tenuously) Dracula related! :lol:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th May 2010 02:00 PM

There should probably be a disclaimer by the threat heading saying something like "The content of this thread may not accurately reflect the subject heading and your home or mortgage may be under threat if you're daft enough to believe that it would be!"

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 15th May 2010 03:54 PM

Debate makes the world go round,and all the above talk IS Dracula-related,whatever we disagree about.:)

Anyway,will Argento do a mean Dracula?

Gojirosan 15th May 2010 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man (Post 79627)
Anyway,will Argento do a mean Dracula?

If you mean "mean" as in "nasty"...

I hope so. I DESPISE the current trend to make vampires "misunderstood" or "sad lost souls" and "sexy" and all that crap. I want vampires to be vile, hideous, soil and blood smeared monsters, dammit!

Daemonia 15th May 2010 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvdvds (Post 79171)
Urgh! Ford Coppolla's Dracula was terrible! I hate that film with a passion. :laugh:

That's one of my guilty pleasures. Whilst there are elements that are undoubtedly bad, as a whole, I think it's a failry decent retelling of the classic story. Oh well, we can't all like the same things. :)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 15th May 2010 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 79643)
If you mean "mean" as in "nasty"...

I hope so. I DESPISE the current trend to make vampires "misunderstood" or "sad lost souls" and "sexy" and all that crap. I want vampires to be vile, hideous, soil and blood smeared monsters, dammit!

Yeah,nasty weergeen hunters like Udo Keir.....:nod: