Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2010's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th July 2010, 10:16 AM
Ex-member

How does someone get their head cooked in the microwave when it's still attached to the body and the microwave door isn't shut
Old 6th July 2010, 11:08 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

I agree that microwave scene was kinda stupid but rest of the movie was pretty good

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 6th July 2010, 12:33 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Like most of you, I believe, i don't mind remakes as long as they bring something new and different to it without taking away what was good about the original. A good remake is fairly rare which is why I wince everytime I see news about yet another remake.

A few thoughts on some examples;

Dawn of the Dead - I was spitting feathers over the news of this remake but I love what James Gunn and Zack Snyder did with it. They took the synopsis and ran with an action movie (sorry - bad pun). I'll always prefer shuffling hordes of zombies but DOTD 2004 showed that running zombies are a major threat.

Halloween - I liked the style of the direction but hated the addition of Michael's childhood. There is far too much analysis of bad guys nowadays. The opening 15 minutes of RZ's H2 was genius then it was all shreiking and overacting.

For a genuinely superb follow up to what happened to the killer after the events of a first film, see Cold Prey 2.

The Hills Have Eyes was a decent, fun remake but the subsequent sequel is one of my most hated sequels of recent years.

Day of the Dead - I actually find this fun to watch if I think of it as a trashy no-budget Zed movie but as a "remake" of Romero's classic? Don't go there.
Look at it this way; compare the two opening sequences;

1985 Day - opens with a dream sequence of arms bursting through a wall.
2008 Day? A couple making out in a dingy room. Quality.

So, I take remakes as I see them. Some I enjoy, some I ask "WTF"? How can you screw something up like that?
Old 6th July 2010, 08:00 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfarer View Post
Like most of you, I believe, i don't mind remakes as long as they bring something new and different to it without taking away what was good about the original. A good remake is fairly rare which is why I wince everytime I see news about yet another remake.

A few thoughts on some examples;

Dawn of the Dead - I was spitting feathers over the news of this remake but I love what James Gunn and Zack Snyder did with it. They took the synopsis and ran with an action movie (sorry - bad pun). I'll always prefer shuffling hordes of zombies but DOTD 2004 showed that running zombies are a major threat.

Halloween - I liked the style of the direction but hated the addition of Michael's childhood. There is far too much analysis of bad guys nowadays. The opening 15 minutes of RZ's H2 was genius then it was all shreiking and overacting.

For a genuinely superb follow up to what happened to the killer after the events of a first film, see Cold Prey 2.

The Hills Have Eyes was a decent, fun remake but the subsequent sequel is one of my most hated sequels of recent years.

Day of the Dead - I actually find this fun to watch if I think of it as a trashy no-budget Zed movie but as a "remake" of Romero's classic? Don't go there.
Look at it this way; compare the two opening sequences;

1985 Day - opens with a dream sequence of arms bursting through a wall.
2008 Day? A couple making out in a dingy room. Quality.

So, I take remakes as I see them. Some I enjoy, some I ask "WTF"? How can you screw something up like that?

I hated zombiween
its no way in the same class as Dawn remake.
Day remake also sucked.
Loved Hills Have Eyes remake. One of the only remakes I liked more then original .....yes yes you can start to say how crazy I am

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 6th July 2010, 08:46 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post
I hated zombiween
its no way in the same class as Dawn remake.
Day remake also sucked.
Loved Hills Have Eyes remake. One of the only remakes I liked more then original .....yes yes you can start to say how crazy I am
No, I'm with you there. HHE the original was great in it's day (and also had a piss-poor sequel) but the remake was inventive and delivered on the gore and suspense.
Old 18th July 2010, 12:21 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

don't know if anyone's posted this but the original is getting a special edition DVD and Blu ray release on my birthday...20/09/2010.

Old 30th July 2010, 05:25 AM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
don't know if anyone's posted this but the original is getting a special edition DVD and Blu ray release on my birthday...20/09/2010.

Is that for the US too?

I am intrigued. I loved the hell out of the LHOTL remake so if they do this in the same manner that it has potential. I must say the one liner in the trailer turned me off a bit.
Old 30th July 2010, 02:49 PM
Cult Rookie

The original was the only film I couldn't watch.
Old 25th August 2010, 05:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Remake has been cut:

Title « British Board of Film Classification

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 25th August 2010, 11:13 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by loops View Post
wow

21 secs was cut!!

Wont be seeing this or buying this in the UK then.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr

Like this? Share it using the links below!