Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2010's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th June 2011, 08:46 PM
Seasoned Cultist

It is interesting to see that since a fully featured appearance of David Tennant/ Peter Vincent has materialised, this particular trailer has been getting a massive thumbs ups all over Youtube...
The previous versions were lucky to get around a 50% approval rating but just look at the ratings for this trailer going through the roof, and the comments are pretty much all about Tennant...
Old 16th June 2011, 09:01 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Limey View Post
It is interesting to see that since a fully featured appearance of David Tennant/ Peter Vincent has materialised, this particular trailer has been getting a massive thumbs ups all over Youtube...
The previous versions were lucky to get around a 50% approval rating but just look at the ratings for this trailer going through the roof, and the comments are pretty much all about Tennant...
I find it all pretty weird. Most people complaining about the lack of Tennant in the earlier trailer are actually annoyed that the actor was only glimpsed for a second. I was annoyed that the character of Peter Vincent wasn't really featured. Guess I'm not in love with Tennent like everyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 5th July 2011, 09:09 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Hey U Guys are running a competition to attend tomorrow night's press screening. I'll be there

Want to See Fright Night in London This Wednesday? 4 Pairs of Tickets up for grabs…
Old 6th July 2011, 10:54 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Any Lab assistants going tonight?
Old 6th July 2011, 01:18 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Couldn't really give one about this remake, I just hope it will mean the original will get the BD release it deserves! Although that didn't happen with THE MECHANIC in the UK so I'm not holding out much hope!

Edit: In fact I've just watched that trailer and it looks utter dross!

Blu Rays ---- Vinyl ---- For Sale / Trade ---- Blu Spaghetti
Old 9th July 2011, 11:38 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaxaca View Post
I just hope it will mean the original will get the BD release it deserves! Although that didn't happen with THE MECHANIC in the UK so I'm not holding out much hope!
Hey, i hope you're right, though!

I may be wrong but wasn't an audio commentary apparently recorded for the original FN a while back? If so, maybe the possibility of an upgraded release of Tom Holland's '85 fang-filled fan fave may not be too unlikely after all but only time will tell i suppose. Jerry Dandridge's debut certainly does deserve better than what it's currently afforded on DVD at the mo that's for sure.
Old 11th July 2011, 12:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 View Post
Hey, i hope you're right, though!

I may be wrong but wasn't an audio commentary apparently recorded for the original FN a while back? If so, maybe the possibility of an upgraded release of Tom Holland's '85 fang-filled fan fave may not be too unlikely after all but only time will tell i suppose. Jerry Dandridge's debut certainly does deserve better than what it's currently afforded on DVD at the mo that's for sure.

With luck they'll release it parallel with the remake's BD release. I can't see it coming out in September, somehow.
Old 3rd August 2011, 08:43 PM
Seasoned Cultist

David Tennant introduces his first appearance in the remake - "garlic omlettes" anyone?

Old 13th August 2011, 01:52 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Some early reviews of the remake. One in particular really enjoyed it:

Quote:
By now everyone has vented their frustrations about remake hell that all movies, especially horror movies, are going through. It's no secret that most people seem to hate the idea that FRIGHT NIGHT even got remade at all. I'm a genuine big fan of the original as Mr. Frights was actually inspired by my boyhood love for the character of PETER VINCENT. I on the other hand, am always willing to give something the benefit of the doubt before decrying how terrible it might be.
I was very much looking forward to this movie. It has some of my favorite actors in it. It looked like fun in the trailers and the Comic Con teaser video. It is horror. And I have a strong fondness for the original film and it's sequel. I loved Roddy McDowall and I love David Tennant from Dr. Who. When I got passes I was pretty excited. I tried to get a bunch of friends to go, but no one was interested. THAT RIGHT THERE BLOWS!! If you can't get people interested in seeing a film for FREE, what kind of chance does it have at being a success if it's any good, and what kind of chance will horror films from here out have if they keep posting crappy box office stats? I say complain if you want, but if you're a horror fan, if you're a fan of the original Fright Night film or any of the other stuff I just mentioned, then your ass should be in a theater seat watching this movie!

So, are you curious yet? Do you want to know how bad the movie was? Well, you pre-screening critics will be disappointed to know it was FREAKING AWESOME!!! I don't think there was a time in my life where a remake took me so by surprise and body slammed all my expectations producing such an amazing film. And you can quote me on that and on everything I say from here on in this review.

I went in thinking that it might be fun but that's about it and left absolutely raving mad about the movie. The people who made this put together a genuinely terrifying leap from the original film to a brand new story that happened to have some characters named the same, in the same sort of situations, but completely different from the original. In that way, I can't honestly say it was a remake. There is no shot for shot anything, the characters are all different in a big way, there are more characters to consider, the things that go down are not the same from the 80's movie, and the differences don't stop there. Oh and don't be worried because every change that was made WORKED!!

The story goes that CHARLEY BREWSTER lives in Vegas and that infamous vampire neighbor moves in next door and so Charley boy has to figure out how to kill him. That's the basics. He still has his girl Amy, his buddy 'Evil Ed' and a host of other characters as well as the great PETER VINCENT who is a Las Vegas magician act the likes of Criss Angel.There are even some surprises to be had as the movie progresses that I really want to leave alone because if your reaction is anything like my reaction then you'll appreciate it more having me not spoil it for you.

Colin Farrell is brilliant as Jerry the vampire. As I had hoped, David Tennant is brilliant as Peter Vincent, but does his own thing with it, not at all trying to take over anything from Roddy. Anton Yelchin, from Star Trek (he played Checkov), was really good too as was the rest of the cast.

The creators behind this new film (Craig Gillespie; Marti Noxon; & of course Tom Holland) took a lot of risks and put a lot more horror into this film. While still delivering on some well placed laughs, the movie is way more intense than the original. There's not as much hokey to it which serves it well to set it apart from Fright Night of the 80's. I have to say that at parts, this movie actually scared me and it's been forever since I've seen a horror film that could do that!

This movie is a refreshing departure from remake hell even though it is based on another film and has the same sort of characters. I was really impressed with this production and it was even more impressive in 3D which I advise everyone to check it out that way. I mean horror movies are why 3D was created man!!! Don't miss out on that. Seriously. The kills alone, the deaths of the vamps alone is worth the 3D.

I want to rave on more about how awesome and brilliant and amazing this new movie is, but I can't give anything away. All I can do is tell you guys how wonderful this thing turned out to be and plead with you all to give it a chance and go see it! If there was EVER a horror film that deserved support and big box office numbers in recent years, it's this one. Mr. Frights would not steer you wrong, trust in me horror peeps, if you miss this in theaters you'll be spanking your own hams for it for a long long time. I'm already overly, excitedly, anticipating the DVD release.Hell, if I had the time I'd go see it three more times.
REVIEW: FRIGHT NIGHT (2011) - No Spoilers... - Mr. Frights' Scary Stuff

Quote:
With the quality of the original Fright Night confirmed, it now becomes a question on whether or not the film even needs to be remade. For me, that’s a fairly easy “Yes.” Fright Night, while a damn good film, just never quite entered into the popular consciousness like other horror films of its time. While it was popular enough to spawn a sequel, that sequel’s perceived lack of quality essentially killed any chance of a franchise erupting. So lesser franchises (Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween) stepped in and dominated the horror genre through the eighties and nineties. So a remake stands a good of chance as any to remind genre fans that a damn good movie is just waiting to be watched by those willing to take the time to track it down.

But is the sequel good enough to get people interested in the original? I’m happy to say that is a “Yes” answer as well. While the film is without a doubt inferior to the original, it is still a solid and entertaining film that does its best to pay homage to the original, while simultaneously attempting to stand on its own.

Certain plot points are paid homage to, but the film rarely sticks any closer to the original than that. Yes, his best friend is turned, though when it occurs is a bit surprising. Yes, a scene in a dance club occurs, but it is vastly different than the original. And yes, Charley Brewster (Anton Yelchin) enlists the help of an elder to fight vampires, but it isn’t some eunuch in charge of a low-rent late-night cable show, but rather a rather inventive and inspired new profession altogether. Even the setting of the film, Las Vegas, makes ridiculously good sense for a place for vampires to hang out.

The one thing the film pays closes attention to is maintaining a solid, if sometimes subtle, layer of dark humor throughout the film. While not quite as entertaining as in the original, Fright Night does its damndest to make sure you know it is having as much fun as you are. From shameless 3D shocks, to over-the-top characters, to a fantastic sight gag of Colin Farrell hissing at a beam of sun light, perhaps the most obvious call-back to the original is a great cameo appearance that leads to a bloody delicious end.

While I might regret the fact that more and more films I enjoyed while growing up are being remade by studios desperate to make a quick and easy buck, for once it seems as if the studio has at least taken the time to make a film that isn’t going to make audiences question why such material as revisited in the first place. And frankly, if forced to choose between Fright Night and the 80th iteration of Final Destination, I’ll take Fright Night and never think twice about it.
Quick Thoughts
Old 17th August 2011, 07:37 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

A couple of good reviews! It blows that I have to wait until the end of August before I can get my review published. It feels as if I've been sitting on all my positive energy for this movie, for months

I will say this; "inferior to the original" - no way! The remake is far better, but to be fair, it's a different style of movie to the original. I found this version far more entertaining though, and more memorable.

Like this? Share it using the links below!