Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2010's

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th October 2010, 08:43 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofwitches666 View Post
Indeed I have but it's been a while. I've got a feeling my views on it maybe a bit 'rose-tinted' like so many things when your younger. I do remember it did have some neat concept though, like it having 'squad based' controls. Each member in your squad had certain abilities (engineering, medical, etc). You of course have to utilises there abilties in order to advance through the levels (engineer needs to restore power in order to unlock doors & such like).

Any survivors you come across can join you but you have to arm them, give out ammo so there is a 'management' system that has to be implemented too. Going outside is also fraught, as there is an 'exposure' meter so theres always a sense of urgency when following the rope lights to get to the next out building before the meter runs out & you & your squad freeze to death!

The other neat thing in the game is the fear system & the trust system. This is implemented by making it possible for one of the player's squad members to be 'turned', and for the player not realize to until it was too late.

In the trust system, the player may lose the trust of his squad if he kills a squad member on the belief that that squad member had been 'turned'. The squad would react to the killing depending on if the slain squad member was or wasn't 'turned'. If the squad member had been 'turned', the squad will praise you for killing him. However, if the squad member was still human, the squad will lose faith in you and may even try to kill you.

In the fear system, the squad reacts to the environment of an area. An area that is covered in blood, or an area where there is a lot of wreckage present, might inspire fear in the squad. Also, the number of 'things' present or the sizes of the 'things' may frighten the squad members. The individual members of the squad may react in one of three ways:
The squad member runs away.
The squad member becomes irrational and begins shooting (with both regular guns and flamethrowers) indiscriminately. As this places the player and the squad in significant danger, the player often has to kill this squad member. If the player kills this squad member, the squad will neither gain nor lose trust in the player.
The squad member will simply give up and commit suicide.

There are several different ways that you can kill a 'thing'. A small 'thing' can be shot, while a larger 'thing' will have to be shot till it's nearly dead & then torched with a flamethrower. Methods of killing boss 'things' varies.

Think I might dig out my copy & have a go for old times sake. Who knows it might be a nice alternative if the film prequel is truly terrible!
Hi, Thanks for the reply, and thanks for the nice write-up on The Thing video game.
I've read this a couple of times now, and I might actually start playing this game one of these days. This post of yours has got me interested in it. Konami were one of the kings of the video game world, back in the day. They put out some great games. I really liked "Turtles in time" on the SNES. This was some years back now. And the years have gone by quick. To f***ing quick.....
Old 16th October 2010, 04:46 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahoney32 View Post
Sure, Evil Dead 3D would have to be full-on extreme, if there was ever to be one in 3D, I agree with you totally. I would like to see chunks of flesh, Axes, and blood shooting out of the screen at me. The crazier the better...

I alway's assumed that Evil Dead 2 was a remake anyway, but with a much bigger budget? It felt the same with Escape From LA too.

I like your idea for a "Thing" sequel too, I would watch that. The budget would be through the roof if they made The Thing, and it was set in New York or whatever. The threat of the creature possibly reaching a major city, from a remote town somewhere sounds good to me. Either way, I would defiantly enjoy watching both of those versions of a sequel to The Thing. I must admit, that I'm not too excited by this Prequel coming out. Hopefully we'll all be pleasantly surprised. I don't think I'd like too naff films, the two being The Thing, and John Carpenters The Ward...
The rights to The Evil Dead were tied up when Raimi made ED2 so they had to refilm events from the first to continue the story. The TED comic book adaptation had Ash waking up to find he was at the cabin with Linda and the events of TED had been a dream. Think, the ending of the movie Nightmare City and that's the vibe.
Old 17th October 2010, 12:55 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfarer View Post
The rights to The Evil Dead were tied up when Raimi made ED2 so they had to refilm events from the first to continue the story. The TED comic book adaptation had Ash waking up to find he was at the cabin with Linda and the events of TED had been a dream. Think, the ending of the movie Nightmare City and that's the vibe.
Hi, Thanks for clearing that one up. I'm sure there will be another Evil Dead film one day.
Old 20th October 2010, 06:21 PM
Cultist

A sequel was also covered in comic form - though for the life of me I can't remember what happened in it.

As for 3D I couldn't care less if it is or not,to me it's just another fad like all the other times - end result being bad films get the 3D treatment to get you to see it.

I like the idea of the prequel especially if it ends with the dog being chased by the helicopter as suggested earlier - then they could drag Kurt Russell back to do the sequel

The suggestion that The Thing was a box office flop is not really correct with an estimated budget of $15 million it made $19.6 million in USA (imdb) so it at least broke even.
Old 6th September 2023, 11:31 AM
Cult Master

From the trivia page on IMDB:

"(at around 11 mins) When the team first enters the cave to look at the ship, there is a snow / ice formation which looks remarkably like the head of the xenomorph from the alien series. Whether it is on purpose or a happy accident is unknown, however coincidentally the effects team on this film, Alec Gillis and Tom Woodruff Jr. had been working on the Alien franchise since 'Alien 3' (1992) until 'Aliens vs. Predator 2: Requiem' (2007)"

Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic261 - Alien in The Thing 2011.jpg (66.6 KB, 15 views)
MrBarlow likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Like this? Share it using the links below!